GTi Wiper Judder

My new aero wipers are juddering and flapping all over the place. They used to be nice and quiet, but now they make a heck of a lot of noise.

I know there are threads that suggested a fix, one of which was flexing the arms to reduce the pressure of the blade on the windscreen:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...ipers&st=20

However, I'm not entirely sure how to flex the arms to help cure this judder.

I have tried cleaning the windscreen and all the other non-bending solutions - just wanted to get some input.

Any advice?

Edited by lexham

All of my aero's have juddered, does ur head i know!!

I've found the more i clean the windscreen the worse it gets wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Rain-x is supposed to be good at stoping this.

Dont even mention juddering to me.

I had to drive 40 miles today in such heavy rain that the roads wer ejust streams and the wipers juddering so much i thought they were going to fly off mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> .

Ive tried everything: autoglym glass cleaner, vinegar, news paper, rain-x, mrmussle glass cleaner, windowleen, and even fairy liquid.

And actually that fairy worked the best, everything else makes it much much worse.

So im contemplating either filling my screenwash with fairy or getting a new screen, seriously annoying me, and its no good for the wiper motor im sure.

Its not the blades either, they are new, and ive tied on my old set which made it slightly better but now its just the same again.

Its like the screen is making the wipers stick to it. It dont feel smooth like glass, if you rub your had over it you had stop on the screen, like the wipers.

HELP!

Washing up liquid is great for pre cleaning windscreens as its a degreaser. But it will strip off any other cleaner or polish to, including the polish on ur paint work!!

Does any one know if a clay bar can be used to get rid of any roughness on windscreens? and then use glass cleaner afterwords.

It looks like there are a few things amiss with mine -

-the wiper arm angle is incorrect- it pushes the blade up the screen until the pressure slackens off, then the wiper blade itself flops over.

-there seems to be some play in the linkage, so a trip to the dealers for this to be remedied.

-arm tension may be changed, just have to get the arms replaced

I have the OEM VW aero blades, only 3 weeks old. The wipers were near silent until I changed the blades over, so maybe something has worn or is simply out of kilter.

-there seems to be some play in the linkage, so a trip to the dealers for this to be remedied.

I think mine might have play also, how would i fix it, or do i need a new motor confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

When i went to the dealers for new blades, i was told i had to buy new arms aswell. Apparently they have changed the design in late 2003.

Can anyone else confirm this ? do the new arms stop the judder ?

The only difference is the fixing hole at the base of them. I think the old type where smooth and the new design splined.

• 3 weeks later...
It looks like there are a few things amiss with mine -

-the wiper arm angle is incorrect- it pushes the blade up the screen until the pressure slackens off, then the wiper blade itself flops over.

-arm tension may be changed, just have to get the arms replaced

I have the OEM VW aero blades, only 3 weeks old. The wipers were near silent until I changed the blades over, so maybe something has worn or is simply out of kilter.

How did you get on at the dealers about the play in your wiper linkage?

Mine are still juddering badly, im going to go to RAC autoglass tomorrow and see what they recommend, ive tried everything else!

Hopefully they will be able to do something to help.

Is it possibly to have the screen professionally (say by RAC) polished to remove scratches and things? as its scratched and it also might remover whatever is causing the wipers to stick on the screen.

The wipers work absolutely fine with NO water on the screen, as soo as its damp they judder like mad! so it has to be the screen, im thinking anyway.

Well ive found the cure for windscreen wiper judder (or atleast i hope i have)

and its ...............

.................... tyre black :wacko:

Honestly it works, its formed a film of grease on the window and the qipers work as they should, with no judder.

Of course i carnt see a thing out of the windscreen but hey, ive got working wipers :D

Im hopeing it will wear off slightly and be less hazy as i went a bit mad with the tyres spray, but it works :P

No more juddering and they are very smooth, but its a bit hazy now so i think ill go out in the rain later and see if it gets better.

Ive just been out with the hose pipe wetting the screen and they are very good now, and the tyre black isnt washing off so hopefully it will stay put but not be as obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: VW think that the problem seems to be the wiper linkage - getting that replaced and the blade angle adjusted for about £90.

Will let you know what transpires, should fix the judder and flap.

Edited by lexham

Yeah klet me know if they are any better after please :)

Mine got worse again after using tyre black, think it must have worn off ;)

So i tried brake cleaner, basically a type of meths, but its not rained since so ive no idea if it worked or not.

My wipers do seem to have a bit of play in them, but the back screen does the same thing and that doesnt have play in it.

So i think my car must be covered in something.

The screen if fine and the wipers work fine when there is no water on the screen (yes im aware i dont need wipers on when its dry!) but as soon as a bit of water gets on the screen the wipers judder so badly.

So ill see if my brake cleaner cleaned anything of the screen next time it rains, and see if they still judder!

When i went to the dealers for new blades, i was told i had to buy new arms aswell. Apparently they have changed the design in late 2003.

Can anyone else confirm this ? do the new arms stop the judder ?

That old chestnut. Check the part numbers thread for the wipers without the arms.

Halfords didn't do them in our size last time I checked... at least my local branch didn't.

I bought the ones that were listed as 928s, whilst it doesn't list the lupo it listed the golf and the polo and they were exactly the same size as the ones i removed.

Incidentally, new wipers do improve matters a lot but they don't cure the problem. If you think about it the less smooth the surface is the worse the juddering will be, combined with the fact that the heat escapes from under the bonnet directly onto the windscreen which causes them to heat up and increase friction, so the more you do to clean the wipers the worse they will be. What you want to be doing is trying to smooth the whole process out, i've never used anything on my wiper blades apart from a cloth when i wash it. The only thing i do is regularly clay, polish and wax my windscreen and i get next to no judder.