Tuned 1.4tdi v's std 1.6 16v. Which's quicker?

hope

Will a 1.4 Tdi remapped be quicker than a std 1.6 16v over a lap?

Jabba estimate about 120bhp and 190 lbft race spec for a 1.4 Tdi with the std turbo. V's the 16v with minor mods to 130bhp. But I'm not quite decided what to race. They're different race series but just I wanna have fun so either will do.

Anyone ever compared on or off track?

I cant see that a 120bhp TDI could even beat a standard 100bhp petrol sport on a race track.

certainly on a sprint track, a (claimed) 115bhp TDI got its ass well and truly kicked by a petrol sport.

I cant see that a 120bhp TDI could even beat a standard 100bhp petrol sport on a race track.

certainly on a sprint track, a (claimed) 115bhp TDI got its ass well and truly kicked by a petrol sport.

wasnt said 115bhp TDI massively underpowered anyway? I'm sure i recall him coming out with only 90ps after a rolling road...

I'm 100% Certain that I could beat JAM in his sport on a race track any day of the week...

He struggled like heck keeping up with me on the way home from edition, and thats regardless of country roads, or motorways.

Would be intresting to organise a track day for our theorys to be tested out.

Ive always suspected there would ot e much in it between a GTI and sport around a track.

We need The Stig to test them lol

You never know though Al, one day you may take the hint and take it up the Pod to shut me up lol

It's all about the driver baby

I've owned (ownership) a gti and a tdi

Petrol just seems more suited to fast driving or maybe it's just the satisifying noise, dunno - feeling grammarly uncomposed today

Would love to go on a lupo track day, specially if there was the full lupo range there inc 1.0's biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The driving styles are completely different in each car due to the way the engines respond, however the actual question was whether a tuned TDI would beat a standard GTI. The simple answer is no.

The GTI has better gearing for low end (1st +2nd) & a longer 5th for higher top end, the tuned Tdi will be quicker in terms of 'on the move' & in gear acceleration due to where its power band & torque is. Having said that though a tuned TDi could really do with having a 6th gear as they will easily pull to the redline in 5th, & that would increase the top end.

The driving styles are completely different in each car due to the way the engines respond, however the actual question was whether a tuned TDI would beat a standard GTI. The simple answer is no.

The GTI has better gearing for low end (1st +2nd) & a longer 5th for higher top end, the tuned Tdi will be quicker in terms of 'on the move' & in gear acceleration due to where its power band & torque is. Having said that though a tuned TDi could really do with having a 6th gear as they will easily pull to the redline in 5th, & that would increase the top end.

Oops! I could have made a little mistake there then! I was hoping that all the tuned tdi guys, especially the guy with 117bhp, were going to tell me that the torque from the Tdi was doing the business and kicking 16v ass.

I may have a spare TDi engine for sale pretty soon then. I just hope someone outbids me. Ha!

Would be intresting to organise a track day for our theorys to be tested out.

Ive always suspected there would ot e much in it between a GTI and sport around a track.

We need The Stig to test them lol

You never know though Al, one day you may take the hint and take it up the Pod to shut me up lol

I dont think i'll ever have the chance to... I rekon the car will have sold and gone by the end of the week sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Its not so much about what it can do in a straight line, I'm pretty confident it'd lose against a sport on a standing quarter. but i dont think theres any way it'd be overtaken on a track by a sport, unless a mismatch of driver capability.

Oops! I could have made a little mistake there then! I was hoping that all the tuned tdi guys, especially the guy with 117bhp, were going to tell me that the torque from the Tdi was doing the business and kicking 16v ass.

I may have a spare TDi engine for sale pretty soon then. I just hope someone outbids me. Ha!

It depends on what you want to use the car for. Im well happy with my Tdi & have got used to the torque, petrol motors just feel gutless in comparison but you can ring the tits off them!

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> would be fun! rolly polly all over the track!

It would be roly poly for me as well with the stock suspension paperbag.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":paperbag:" border="0" alt="paperbag.gif" />

thats what i mean!

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Maybe I'd be more suited to a drag strip instead.

NOCK

hahahahahahahahaha, thats it rub it in! bens got a 1L blah blah blah! hahaha

Lmao I wasn't looking at it like that. I'm not exactly gonna be traveling at break-neck speeds either am I! lol

NOCK

in racing/track torque doest mean much at all, its mostly about bhp, if you have a car with a little bit more bhp, that car will win. cars being of similar weight of course. in gear acceleration and big pull from low rpm is a trump card that has no strength when the petrol is always in its power band in all gears.

so it depends how much bhp you can get out of the 1.4tdi that will decide it. would need to be 125bhp+ to win.

I feel if the GTi was kept in the high lift cam range it would be a close call, with the amount of torque the TDi has. I've owned both, and to be honest I'd go with the GTi on track as if you can manage keep it on the boil, its acceleration would give you the advantage. A close one though!

id be up for a track day!!! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
So would I (even though I'm a crap driver lol)

NOCK

Definitely need a track day event, i would go biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />