17 year old drives?

SC02 FFF

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im paying £1400 as a named driver threw my dads insurance on a 1.4sport.

was 17 when i got mine, lupo sport, insured on my own name,

dont know what it cost, i payed £300 odd more pounds than my other car

and i dont think running costs are that bad either tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

mark

i just swapped it over from my previous car (saves my 9 months no claims), im with tesco,

but the difference was £300

so it doesnt really help

mark

I'm 18, i drive a 1.9 Citoren Xantia TD lol for which is costs £800 as a named driver...

BUT as i'm thinking of buying a lupo i have got a quote from bell.com of £1250 for a Lupo Sport 100BHP as the main driver which i think is brilliant

When I first got the Arosa (1.0) at 17 I think it was about £600 for me as a named driver (learner and then new driver).

First year on my own was £1300 sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> But I got that precious 1 year NCB which would have brought it down to £600 (until I modded the car, then it went up to £800! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />)

Mine was Direct Line (with my mum), then Dial Direct, then Adrian Flux, and this year I've gone with Brentacre smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

When I got my sport my insurance was 2,2k fully comp lol crazzy amount. Then when I got an sdi it went down to 1.3k

jus got a new wuote from bell for a lupo sport and its only £1200! ... and you get 1 years NCB in 10 months rather than 12

Try Quinn, a few people i know are with Quinn, they are cheap for new drivers, but once you have been driving a few years they are expensive, for me anyway.

Im with admiral, they seems very reasonable and are very helpful.

jus got a new wuote from bell for a lupo sport and its only £1200! ... and you get 1 years NCB in 10 months rather than 12

Yeah ive done that with admiral. Although you do only get 10 months insurance, which makes it cheaper as you are paying for less.

yer it is only for 10 months but in my case once i get my 1st year NCB, next years insurance will drop by about 600 quid or more!

yer it is only for 10 months but in my case once i get my 1st year NCB, next years insurance will drop by about 600 quid or more!

Yeah thats what im looking forward to, Ive been driving three years nearly and not got a years NCB yet laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Although i wouldnt have thought it would drop by £600 huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> , Mine would be only £400 then wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

The 10 month policy's 1 year's no claims will only be valid with that company. Maybe with others in the same group (admiral, bell, elephant). I had two 10 month polices with Elephant, but when I tried to change insurance companies they would only offer me 1 years no claims.

It's to get you to stick with the same company.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah i know, thats another drawback, but im happy with admiral so ill probably stick with that. Get the 12 months policy next time though.

Edited by cardaft

im 17 and insurance with me as the only driver on my saxo VTR was £1300 and then swapped my car to a 306 1.9Turbo Diesel S on same policy and drpooed to £1250 and insurance on a 1.4 16v arosa sport is £1300

Some of these amounts are just mental! I didn't get a car until i was 20 just 'cause i didn't want to line the insurance companies pockets! When i hit 21 it went down big time, so you've all got that to look forward too!!

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> i didnt know that, mmm maybe it is worth paying the extra £100 that the 12 month policy is and getting it for 1 year instead...

Also a few tips for young drivers:

1) Get your parents as named drivers on your insurance, this will bring down ur policy by 100's! I saved about £600

2) Check ensligh out, they give a massivley cheaper quote if you are a STUDENT

3) fit a cheap thatchem 1 alarm or something else that helps bring your quote down, it will save u more than it costs

I would say it's definately worth the extra, means they don't have you trapped to stay with them when other companies give you much cheaper quotes.

I tried the Endsleigh office in our Students Union an Uni, and they quoted me something like £2800 on a 1.2 8v Punto. That's after I'd been driving a year under my Mams name.

Whenever I've tried a quote with and without an alarm, it hasn't made any difference to the insurance price. Maybe some companies do though.

I'm a student with Endsleigh, and after driving round in my mums name since I was 17, when I first got the loop and insured it in my own name it was £850, really good for a 20yr old with 2 years safe driving but no "no claims" 21 today, so im hoping for a big saving come the summer smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />