17 year old drives?

SC02 FFF

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid £1400 on a corsa sport 1.4 16v at 17 on my own,with a pass plus. then about 1200 on a 106 quiksilver when i switched the policy, then the same on a 1.8 mk3 golf driver. Then the second year was £755 on my mk4 16v polo with a years no claims. And now im paying £918 on my lupo gti but that on my dads insurance as a named driver.

• 2 weeks later...
fully comp, my policy, mum and dad as named drivers, £1350 voluntary excess. best £1360 iv ever spent! shame im off to uni this year and now have to have a 1.4 sport only gonna cost £500 to insure though so bit of a bonus.

this thread is for sports lol , thanks for your replys though

Bump!

it helps if you tell them you do under 5000 miles a year!

But what happens if you do more than 5K miles, is there anyway they can check up and void the insurance if your over?

I put mine at 11K a year, so far ive done 16K in 10 months wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

They cant realy check as dont know millage you started with and your mum or dad might drive it for 3k a year on their policy. I say I do 6K a year which is about what I do, but I dont worry if I go over or under it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the cheapest you will find for a new driver is quinn direct.

They offer deals for young drivers, so much so that its probably cheaper for you to unsure with quinn than me now, since im not a new driver.

I was getting some really silly wuotes a few months ago when i was looking to renew mine, so it really pays to shop around.

My renewal quote with admiral was £940, but i phoned up and managed to get that down to £770, so thats not too bad.

But your best bet is to probably get it insured under your parents name or whatever, the only thing then is you wont build no claims bonuses, unless you go with direct line i think it is. Another draw back is you usually have to have the car in that persons name too.

I'm just about to have to renew my insurance.

I want to upgrade my suspension and alloys on my current lupo so decided to go with Quinn Direct.

They've given me a quote of £1070, 3rd party with the modifications.

I'm now not sure whether to mod it before or after I get the insurance quote..

hey sammi , i got quoted on direct line for just over £500 on a sport as a named driver, when collecting the NCB's only some insurance companies allow it, i mean with direct line you can build ncbs with them as a named driver but they only work for that insurance company, if you get me.

32 days for me i thinks haha cant wait

Im 18 been driving since jan, wrote one car off and now got a GTi, insurance with me as main driver and my boyfriend 19, with no claims atall and has been driving for two years, was £2000 with elephant, and they are sh*t.

Still not paid out for my accident i had back in July.. taking the p***!!!

:angry:

They cant realy check as dont know millage you started with and your mum or dad might drive it for 3k a year on their policy. I say I do 6K a year which is about what I do, but I dont worry if I go over or under it

hmm Surely they could if they wanted to - They could find out mileage at MOT time, mileage at Service time etc etc... Its not beyond belief that if they could ask you to provide proof of mileage as a condition. I think the best way with insurance companies is to be honest, that way there more likely to help you out should the worst happen.

Yep its best to be honest about everything, i suppose there is ways they can check up on the mileage but it could be difficult i suppose. Im not sure if they would be too bothered if you went say over your set mileage by 1K or whatever.

I think its a bit stupid really though, setting a mileage on the policy, i mean if i set 10K a year on my policy (which i have just done) if i get to 10K in 9 months im not going to stop using the car. Ive done 18K in the past year, although i have now reduced my mileage to 10K on my policy since in not working atm, so when i do start to work i will increase that and also insure it for commuting too.

The honest thing to do would be to ring them up and say i need an extra 3K for this years premium, they would then cherge me a bit more but i would still be 100% legal.

I suppose the more miles you do the more likely you are to have an accident, as your on the road more, but i really dont think mileage should be a big part of insurance.

I also found when looking for new quotes a few months ago, that very few companies actually cover your for commuting, basically traveling between home and place of work. So you have to spec that on the policy, which puts the quote up quite a bit.

Insurace is a right pain :lol:

Edited by cardaft

Just got a quote for an Ibiza Cupra at 18 with one years no claims....

£1235.89 £3rd Party !!!!

thats less than what im paying on the arosa!

i may end up selling my arosa early next year if the quote still stands!

had my renewal quote today :)

it was £1750 with pass plus fully comp, on my own policy etc... n now after a year its just £750 :o result!

thats still fully comp on my own etc but with 1 year no claims :shades:

Personally anything over £2000 is pretty mad!!

I started off in a cinquecento for 800 TPFT, then after a year.. modified it big time so it came to 900 fully comp. i then did my pass plus - this can knock up to 1/3 off your premium.

The best people out there is quinn, they accept previous named driver experience as no claims and are plass pluss verified too. now at 21 with my 2002 gti im paying 875 fully comp with a £600 excess. not to shabby

Pass plus can be very over rated, wen i was 17 i was driving a 998cc mini! insurance was £950 3rd party so decided 2 do my pass plus and they knocked £25 off lol wasnt worth the hastle!!! :( then wen i turned 19 a 2.0l celica gt . . . £1400 2 years no claims :(, bl**dy insurance companys are a rip cant wait to get my hands on that lupo gti brings it down 2 just £800 ish lol:D.

hey sammi , i got quoted on direct line for just over £500 on a sport as a named driver, when collecting the NCB's only some insurance companies allow it, i mean with direct line you can build ncbs with them as a named driver but they only work for that insurance company, if you get me.

32 days for me i thinks haha cant wait

That's ok because DirectLine always comes out cheapest for me anyway, so can get it even cheaper from them with NCBs and PassPlus!

32 days!