Best way to train for a 100 mile charity bike ride

RallyeBaz

I have done the London to Brighton and London to Cambridge (approx 56 miles) years ago. A mate who rides to work everyday has put my name down ( www.bike-events.com) . At the moment I do about 10 miles every week, which is broken down to 2-3 sessions a week, down the bypass.

I also have a exercise bike in the garage.

Any ideas how best to train for these final weeks as I am currently sitting here in pain after pulling my back at the driving range !!!

Should I decline or get some horse steriods laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

when i used to cycle i did a few distance trips, but id reccomend chocolate bars and a camel sack filled with squash.

and sometimes a greasy bacon burger is just what you need.

other then that, stick with your mate(s) and its much shorter

Good Luck!

I wouldn't suggest doing it if you've pulled your back, and especially if you've not done much training either.

100miles is alot more than the 10 miles you've been doing. And being in a saddle for all that time, even though your back will have had 3 weeks to recover, still won't be good for it.

I wouldn't suggest doing it if you've pulled your back, and especially if you've not done much training either.

100miles is alot more than the 10 miles you've been doing. And being in a saddle for all that time, even though your back will have had 3 weeks to recover, still won't be good for it.

I pulled my back after hitting the 40th range ball with a driver in the space of 10 minutes after some pensioner was giving it large with his cake tin driver. Made the mistake of not wearing a belt like a weight lifter laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Will check with my mate as I reckon my full suspension mountain bike will be more comfortable.

I pulled my back after hitting the 40th range ball with a driver in the space of 10 minutes after some pensioner was giving it large with his cake tin driver. Made the mistake of not wearing a belt like a weight lifter laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Will check with my mate as I reckon my full suspension mountain bike will be more comfortable.

a full sus bike on a 100 mile ride where you aren't even prepared physically is a crap idea.

hmm personally I don't find mountain bikes comfortable at all over long distances because they are not designed for it, you need a good quality road bike to do it comfortably. I'd just do what you can in terms of training with your back been how it is, then see if you feel up to it when the time comes.

Personally i'd think that with your back, the best thing you could do would get doing long distances on the sit down back support bikes in the gym.

Pete

Woo, sounds fun! I wanted to do the Keswick to Barrow (40 mile walk or run) but was working

Id say get some practice by cycling on inclines as they are what give you the leg muscles really. Walk alot too!

Bum massages too, to prepare that ass!

i thought you were using a road bike

imo a full sus bike is the complete wrong tool- twice as much effort due to the rear spring taking out all your movement.

even a mountain bike is gonna be hard work if you havent fully trained but still possible if you wanna do it, my advice would be get hold of a half decent road bike to reduce the strain, or take it easy and cruise along on a mtb but def not full sus lol

you can borrow my bike......115 horse will get you there rather quickly and with a grin on your face coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

imo a full sus bike is the complete wrong tool- twice as much effort due to the rear spring taking out all your movement.

even a mountain bike is gonna be hard work if you havent fully trained but still possible if you wanna do it, my advice would be get hold of a half decent road bike to reduce the strain, or take it easy and cruise along on a mtb but def not full sus lol

Just trying to reduce the pain factor as a Mountain Bike saddle is much more comfortable. I have a old school Raleigh Banana racing bike and a 1983 Wester Ross 531c touring bike.

Will choose the Wester Ross as it is much lighter.

Woo, sounds fun! I wanted to do the Keswick to Barrow (40 mile walk or run) but was working

Id say get some practice by cycling on inclines as they are what give you the leg muscles really. Walk alot too!

Bum massages too, to prepare that ass!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I used to go mountain biking around Windermere and Ambleside. Last time we went I gave up after 20 miles due to the weather. My mate carried on and I got a call at the B & B 5 hours later from him crying, due to nearly dying up in the mountains.

Re-visited the site the following day in his van to show me where he got into trouble. The fool decides to do a rally stage through the mountains and hits a rock in the road, bursting the tyre. Spare was flat and we had no jack. One of my best weekends away NOT

Wouldn't entirely agree with that - modern suspension designs don't bob much at all!

But he's right, a well fitting road bike will be loads more suitable for the job!

100psi in both tyres.

Get that saddle dead flat - use a spirit level if ye must.

New brake & gear cables

Oil that chain.

Go for it! you can't wimp out.

Get yourself on your exercise bike every night and train hard! If your worried about the comfort can't you just fit a 'gel' seat to a road bike?

i do 10miles a day and started out doing in on a full sus bike but then switched to just a front sus bike and found it soo much easier!

most i've done on a bike was 140 miles in one day, spend £60+ on a decent pair of cycling shorts and take the next day off and you should be fine biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I do 60-70miles on a Sunday morning (road bike). Did a 120 charity ride on a mountain bike and I agree with Crusoe

A good pair of shorts and a good saddle (I'd recommend Specialized Body Geometry stuff) will be your saviour!

Also, clipless pedals and shoes will allow you to transfer power more efficiently, saving you energy.

As far as training goes, build up your distances (you've got a few weeks!). Get outdoors rather than the exercise bike, you don't get a true

feeling from riding indoors.

Erm, also slicks are a must, 120 psi.

Good luck!

The London to Brighton isnt that bad, but slowly step up the training towards the event depending on your overall fitness. The worse bit is Beacon at the end. Its the mother of all hills, especially when you have cycled from london! I had a bag of mini sized mars bars and lots of squash to get me through. Best advice is to take it slowly and dont burn it off like the rest of the numptys at the start(hare and tortoise!). Get some padded cycling pants/shorts, gel seat and use a road bike, moutain bike tyres and suspension just make it more difficult. I drove to Newquay the next day for a holiday, only part of me that hurt, was my bruised ass. Good luck!

Good luck with the ride, definatley choose the tourer, and give it a good once over mechanically before you go, nothing worse than a failure over even just a squeaky crank if you have to listen to it for 100miles!!!

I do the manchester to blackpool every year (only 55-60miles) on a hardtail mountain bike, but put the suspension to it's hardest and swap for slick tyres.

Good fitting clothes are essential too and a good pair of gloves.