GTI Headlight Washers

How do you remove the headlight washer caps on the GTI bumper,

I dont want to force them in case I break them, any help would be appreciated. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If your very careful you can pull the washer jets out of the bumper, they're sprung so just pull them up instead of out. Then the caps just slide off if i remember correctly, i have no idea how to remove the washer jet unit from the bumper though.

If your very careful you can pull the washer jets out of the bumper, they're sprung so just pull them up instead of out. Then the caps just slide off if i remember correctly, i have no idea how to remove the washer jet unit from the bumper though.

Done it, thank you, not sure if the washers are connected to bumper dont seem to be, will soon find out.

They are, i went to take off my front bumper a couple of weeks ago un-screwed everything (the screws you have to reach through the arch are a right bitch!) started slowly pulling it off to find they were attached and i couldn't see any easy way of un-attaching them without screenwash fluid doing a little wee everywhere laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

• Like 1

Probably too late, but this may help:

N92-0185.png border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Headlight washer system

Assembly overview: Headlight washer system

1. Hexagon bolt M6

2. Headlight washer system reservoir

3. Plastic nut 10 mm

4. Headlight washer pump

5. Hose 10 x 3

6. Angled connector

7. Distributor

8. Front bumper

9. Securing clips

10. Washer jet lift cylinder

11. Spray jet retainer

12. Cap

13. Jet

And:

N92-0189.png border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Headlight washer system

Removing and installing spray jet retainer

Note:

The spray jet retainer can also be removed and installed with bumper installed.

Removing:

‒ Carefully pull spray jet retainer out and hold.

‒ → Lift securing clip -arrow- slightly with a small screwdriver.

‒ Pull spray jet retainer out.

Installing:

‒ Slide spray jet retainer into lift cylinder until it engages.

‒ Adjust spray jets

• 8 months later...
Might be a stupid question, but have you got enough water in the main resevoir, as this fills the smaller headlight one.

:lol:

The right Headlight washer pops out and works fine.

Is the unit mechanical ( Need greasing up ?? ) or electrical ( Pump broke ?? ) ??

• 3 years later...

Recently had my radiator changed by a mechanic mate and driven the car for the first time at night since it was done, using the washer jets. Parked the car up and both the washer jet caps have flown off.

Not impressed

Any idea where you can get replacements or the part no.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Thankyou for digging up this ancient thread - I have been trying to find that diagram above all night! laugh.gif

LOL

Wish I had found the thread about the Drivers door wire harness issue. Could have saved me £000's in Labour charges : (

I think its parts 11 and 13 I will need, however I havent had it apart to check - essentially when I activate the washers, the pax side is fine but the drivers squirts a 6ft jet into the air!

• 1 year later...

Right, I had to prove her wrong, so I hope you are still breathing to read this:

Probably too late, but this may help:

N92-0185.png border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Headlight washer system
Assembly overview: Headlight washer system
1. Hexagon bolt M6
2. Headlight washer system reservoir
3. Plastic nut 10 mm
4. Headlight washer pump
5. Hose 10 x 3
6. Angled connector
7. Distributor
8. Front bumper
9. Securing clips
10. Washer jet lift cylinder
11. Spray jet retainer
12. Cap
13. Jet

And:

N92-0189.png border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Headlight washer system
Removing and installing spray jet retainer

Note:
The spray jet retainer can also be removed and installed with bumper installed.

Removing:
‒ Carefully pull spray jet retainer out and hold.
‒ → Lift securing clip -arrow- slightly with a small screwdriver.
‒ Pull spray jet retainer out.

Installing:
‒ Slide spray jet retainer into lift cylinder until it engages.
‒ Adjust spray jets

Items 11 and 13 appear to come as one with the part numbers:

6E0 955 103

6E0 955 104

Items 12 the covers are:

6E0 955 109 007

6E0 955 110 007

• 1 year later...

laugh.gif

The right Headlight washer pops out and works fine.

Is the unit mechanical ( Need greasing up ?? ) or electrical ( Pump broke ?? ) ??

Can anyone answer this question above? One of the clips that hold the cap on is broke so cap wont stay on, can that part be replaced or is it a whole new unit and how do they come off the car? bumper off? I have also tried to pull on the jet but wont come out from the bumper

many thanks

I recently stripped mine as the passenger side cyclinder was leaking, £54 pound later ( with a 10% discount) it was fixed, in the process of removing the washer jet, I snapped off one of the clips that holds the flap in place, £ 15.50 to replace, you remove by using a small flat headed screw driver to prise up the clip, and then just pull it out the cyclinder, it is quite tricky, I used some wd40 to lubricate the O ring on the new jet, helped it slide in much easier, I also warmed up the bumper cover and jet with a hair dryer so they were not as brittle.

You don't need to remove the bumper, just need to pull the rod out the cyclinder and hold which changing the jets over, it is tricky

Edited by andy4976
  • Like 1