GTI - Which brakes??

drummachine

the reason i'm asking is that i would like to know if the contact is raised up by 24mm to the outer edge as thats how its meant to be. yes you get a better braking effect. it wouldnt be a complete waste of time as the disc would not get overheated like the 256mm. i wouldnt bother with it though. if the calipers move to use the outer disc then it must be a good braking modification once stock setup upgrade options have been looked at.

How the feck would you fit a bigger disc without the caliper also moving out? The caliper fits either side of the disc!!! Go and look up how calipers work before quoting utter *****!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the feck would you fit a bigger disc without the caliper also moving out? The caliper fits either side of the disc!!! Go and look up how calipers work before quoting utter *****!

sometimes you can have clearance of quite a bit at top of caliper that would allow for bigger disc but not raise the contact point of pads. thats what i'm asking. it would be 12mm higher, half of 24mm diameter difference.

Edited by qually

Make up your mind what you are saying! All those edits makes it confusing as to what point you're trying to make. Google is your bestest friend it seems tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Make up your mind what you are saying! All those edits makes it confusing as to what point you're trying to make. Google is your bestest friend it seems tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

i never use google. just experience of many years. i somtimes dont say what i mean though, which can be confusing,

lol, ok explain how you would fit a larger brake disc without the caliper moving out!

ok what you do is take caliper off, and old disc. put bigger disc on and rebolt on the calipers. calipers can still fit if they have a high central cavity space on the bridge between. but the contact of pads would be in the same place, so not on the edge of the disc. i dont know if gti calipers are like this possibly not. so i guess they do get moved up with the g60 carriers then, so the only issue is the inside pad thickness because of the disc thickness differences...

the whole point of using the g60 caliper carriers is to move the caliper outwards so that the caliper is in the CORRECT place for the larger disc.

Its too sensative with the smaller brakes and mine used to kick in for the most stupid of things.......now its fine and kicks in when the car really needs it

K thanks for being the only one to reply, I kinda know what you mean but I'm thankful of my ABS as it has saved my ass a couple of times lol.

NOCK

the whole point of using the g60 caliper carriers is to move the caliper outwards so that the caliper is in the CORRECT place for the larger disc.

understood.

so how is the 3mm wider pads to disc gap sorted, 1.5mm too far apart either side of discs.

lupo pads 16mm thick, g60 pads 19mm thick.

i guess its better to use the g60 pads as otherwise you wont get much life out of the lupo pads to stay within piston travel tolerances if there is such a thing?

it doesn't matter, because, oh font of knowledge, the piston pushes the pad onto the disc, so 3 mm here or there ain't gonna make no difference! hence, the reason you can use lupo gti pads

K thanks for being the only one to reply, I kinda know what you mean but I'm thankful of my ABS as it has saved my ass a couple of times lol.

NOCK

yes i do think it is a little over sensitive, the reduction of this on g60 brakes may have something to do with using lupo pads for the g60 discs? as not enough as piston has reached it length but has still more pressure needed to apply a strong braking force, which the stock setup can do? if you get what i mean.

it doesn't matter, because, oh font of knowledge, the piston pushes the pad onto the disc, so 3 mm here or there ain't gonna make no difference! hence, the reason you can use lupo gti pads

dont get sarcastic.

don't assume you are the font of all knowledge on a public internet forum

don't assume that we are all thick and don't know what we're talking about

thank you pleash

My ABS kicks in loads, especially in the rain - breaking over manhole covers etc. I am thinking of updating my break set up in a couple of months, looks like 280 is the way to go!

standard discs circa £40 each quid, hangers guessing around 80- 90 quid but dont quote me on that. nice thing to thing about black diamond grooved discs for g60, maybe worthwhile spending a little extra for even better braking?

Edited by scotty

WEll to be honest, I think the 256 discs are fine but I can see what people meaning about the ABS coming in when its not really needed. So it would be more to stop this happening than for super dooper stopping. Car is only running about 110bhp at the most and I never do three digit speeds so don't need face through the windscreen brakes laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Carriers are usually about £70 from eBay.

Black Diamond Grooved discs and pads all round cost me £300 from venom, but they're not any more expensive than the 256's, in fact I think they're a little bit cheaper.

Worthwhile doing if you're replacing your discs and pads anyway.

Well you're a jammy bu*ger aren't you. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

The carriers actually seem to go for more on there own than they do with the calipers.

don't assume you are the font of all knowledge on a public internet forum

don't assume that we are all thick and don't know what we're talking about

thank you pleash

i dont assume to be an expert, i just say what i think is right at the time. let people be.

Erm even i know that yes you can, that's the whole point!

NOCK

hmmm ok then, if thats what you want to believe.

Larger brakes wont stop you any quicker, your tyres are the weakest part of your braking.

hmmm ok then, if thats what you want to believe.

Larger brakes wont stop you any quicker, your tyres are the weakest part of your braking.

What the hell of course they stop you quicker, why do ferrari's have like 360mm brakes or something like that if big brakes aren't good? They'd have real small ones if small ones were better. Also, with downhill mountain bikes big brakes are better