Twingo is Ruined

krieglupo

Oh no, it seems the Twingo doesn't look so good after all that butch stuff is ripped off.

LINK

I just hope any hot version looks like the concept, cus this just looks too high up like every other small car these days.

This little car seems to have gotten lost amongst the flurry of cool stuff at the show over the last week, I must admit that I don't like the back, but mostly I like it. Compare it to the Fox, a car I think is ok, and its light years ahead.

I like Renaults on the whole, and its nice to see this one coming to the UK.

Funny how the back completely ruined it for me too...there's just something wrong about it.

Oh well, let's hope for a RenaultSport version, fingers crossed.

i really dont like that wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

although im sure the 1200cc 100bhp model would shift ok smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i loved the old twingo, cool little car its a shame it was never made into right hand drive

this twingo is actualy built on the old clio floorpan its basically just to replace the clio now the new clio has got so big

Edited by Unheard

Oh right, kinda like when the Lupo came out cus the Polo kept adding on about 5 stone each new model.

Anyway, can I just ask why the hell EVERY new little car, is high. Cars like the Saxo, Lupo, Fiesta (old one, up until 2002), and 106 looked like big cars only small.

Now small cars are all high and ugly.

gives more interior space im afraid because you can mount the rear seats higher so people by default have more legroom in the back, just the way design is going for small cars!

Thing that annoys me is I was looking at a new mini cooper S today, (the new version) Its a lot higher off the ground than the old one, and consequently, im sure it drives ok, but it doesn't look quite as nice. Basically cars are getting higher on their suspension to do better in crash tests, worthy cause, but I wish they'd think of a better idea! lol

Pete

Anyway, can I just ask why the hell EVERY new little car, is high. Cars like the Saxo, Lupo, Fiesta (old one, up until 2002), and 106 looked like big cars only small.

For better pedestrian safety when you go all Death Race 2000. Knee and hip injuries are mo'fos to repair properly. If you look at the bonnets, the front shut line is usually quite far back too. The unfortunate pedestrian is slowly absorbed and wraps over the front of the car rather than sliced in two.

The other thing is you can get more interior space into an area if you're sat more upright (like a dining chair) than stretched out (like a lay-z-boy). The car has to be taller as a result.

But yes, it looks crap.

• 2 months later...

Shame shame shame shame

renault_twingo_ii-01.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

renault_twingo_ii-02.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

renault_twingo_ii-04.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

linky

Gone is all the originality and funky-ness of the MK1 and we get the ******* lovechild of a Citroen C2 and a Renault Modus.

I reserve to withhold judgement if they make the 'Hot' version though.

twingo-concept-3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

What the hell is a Twingo? Ive never heard of let, Let alone seen one! wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I like that HOT version though shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Car designers are really letting themselves slip these days.

Theres less and less definition between models and less and less definition between makes.

Soon everything is going to look the same.

renault_twingo_ii-02.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I quite like it from the front, but what have they done to the back huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Looks horrible blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

What the hell is a Twingo? Ive never heard of let, Let alone seen one! wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Twingos were never originally brought to the UK, the original car is far better looking at Renault missed a trick not selling it over here, its hugely popular in France.

Edited by cardaft

• 2 weeks later...

The new Twingo is in this weeks AutoExpress. It gets quite a good review.

It says there will be two sportier versions: the 1.2 75BHP Dymanique and the 1.2 Turbo 100BHP GT.

I hope the GT is something special.

The one on test is the 1.5Dci with 65BHP, which is the one i would want, but it says in the write up that Renault is unsure is this model will be available in the UK. I think they will be missing out again if they dont sell the diesel version here though.

Overall im starting to like the standard shape, i was a bit put off by the back styling of it, but now its grown on me slightly. I love the front though, it looks very smotth and a funckyy shape.

But it will have stiff competition when the 500 arives.

It says all models should be on sale in September, so im looking forward to it coming out. Could just well be my next car laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Towards the back of the autoexpress there is a question from someone asking how much their one owner Lupo GTi with 65K and on a 51 plate is worth.

The answer was £4,170 trade in and £4,650 private used price, surely thats a bit low huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Chris

Edited by cardaft

I think it looks quite smart in these pics:

AutoExpress - Twingo road test

I could even be tempted to buy one some day, if the diesel does get here, which is sounding unlikely. Although not in the orange colour wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . I think it could look quite good cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

Think "got to stop selling Clio Campus" and this looks like a worthy package. As the test says, it's good at urban speeds which is where it'll be doing most of the work. Having used a current Twingo when visiting my Mum in France, it follows the style on inside and that tootles around OK. It'll be no competitor to the 500 over here, Fiat are selling that to take on the Mini.

It looks like it'll be pitched at the lower end of the market (Fox, C1 etc). It'll be shameful if they don't bring the diesel in, but otherwise I can't see anything wrong with it.

That dash has just put me off ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I quite liked the dash, there are some features still there from the old twingo, like the slanty Cd player.

hmm, i just looked at those pics, your seeing something i cant see in it.

looks like something a courrier might use, just needs blanked out van panels at the sides for commercial use.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> You may be right, but i do like the styling, im not so keen on the back of it but i love the front, its so smooth, i think its the lack of grills where there is usually some, near the Renault badge.

I think it looks smart, and it would look better in black, hides some of the rear end styling laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Think "got to stop selling Clio Campus" and this looks like a worthy package. As the test says, it's good at urban speeds which is where it'll be doing most of the work. Having used a current Twingo when visiting my Mum in France, it follows the style on inside and that tootles around OK. It'll be no competitor to the 500 over here, Fiat are selling that to take on the Mini.

It looks like it'll be pitched at the lower end of the market (Fox, C1 etc). It'll be shameful if they don't bring the diesel in, but otherwise I can't see anything wrong with it.

Yes i agree, the clio campus is far too old now, and the recent bonnet scare has put some people off i think. The new twingo will be very popular i think, among students, and as a first/second car. And its bound to be safe!.

Im waiting to see what the 500 will be like, some of the pics ive seen of it make it look a bit cheap, i dont think it will ever be in the class of the mini, unless they spend loads on giving it great quality and some really nice retro features as standard.

There is talk of only bringing in better spec Twingos,so the budget cars wont be in the line up. But i hope renault doesnt do that. They will be missing a huge market there. I wouldnt buy a top spec on, whats the point? may as well get a better car.

But i think for a budget car the twingo will be a great package, and id like one if it is available in more basic specs. For somereason i like basic cars huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> . Not to mention if its expensive i would choose something else, something bigger.

But say the base Twingo 1.2 60 BHP is £6,500, and the base 500 is £8,000 (maybe more, ive seen some redicoulous figures for that) then id take the Renault.

Ive researched around some car mags on the net and they all give different reviews, all of them good, but some say there will be basic specs from £6,500 and some say only top specs will get to the UK. So im going to wait and see how it turns out i think

I think it looks quite smart in these pics:

AutoExpress - Twingo road test

I could even be tempted to buy one some day, if the diesel does get here, which is sounding unlikely. Although not in the orange colour wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . I think it could look quite good cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Still the same ugly let-down of a car IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a road test of the 1.2 Turbo Gt in this weeks auto car.

Ive not read it yet though, but the price is £9,995 so like panda 100hp rival. But 0-60 in 9.8secs huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> its a bit slow, and is less economical than the new mini one!

I carnt seeing the GT being a big seller, i think it will only work if there are budget models and also if they offer the diesel.