I've got a leak!

Hi all. I've got a leak in my boot. I've noticed it since I changed all the plastics in my car from light grey to black ones. I'm pretty sure everything is fitted back correctly, I'll check on my mates arosa later to make sure it's all correct.

Anyway, here's the pics to show where the water is coming in:

DSCF1303.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSCF1308.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Anyone know how the water would be coming in from this? Just thought I'd ask incase anyone has had this same problem in the past.

Cheers

Jake

Open the tailgate, and you'll see it has little drain holes in the bottom of the skin... Water can get in through your lock/handle, or through your rear screen rubber. The drain holes are there to drain it into the plastic tray around your lock latch - hence the collection around your rubbers. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Unless your boot is filling up with water, I wouldn't worry about it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I do worry, because the water gets through the crack in the plastic where it joins to the bit up the side. It then makes its way down and soaks up into the rear bench, and shows marks.

I'll take that panel off sunday and have a look.

Thanks everyone

where as mine has a water leak , the car is stinking and i have no idea where the water is getting in .... and the carpets are not wet sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Open the tailgate, and you'll see it has little drain holes in the bottom of the skin... Water can get in through your lock/handle, or through your rear screen rubber. The drain holes are there to drain it into the plastic tray around your lock latch - hence the collection around your rubbers. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Unless your boot is filling up with water, I wouldn't worry about it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

And this is not normal, there shouldnt be any water inside the rubbers, hence the rubbers to keep the water out wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I do worry, because the water gets through the crack in the plastic where it joins to the bit up the side. It then makes its way down and soaks up into the rear bench, and shows marks.

I'll take that panel off sunday and have a look.

Thanks everyone

Yes i agree you do have a problem, is your bootlid tight against the rubbers when it is shut? or is there any parts of the rubber not in tact maybe a crack in it or something, it can only be the rubbers i would think, unless your rear wiper bung / rubber washer is leaking.

Chris

I got the same problem but mines wet at the bottom of the left back passanger seat footwell. I got that photo of the yellow lupo showing where the bits are but where are all the screws to take the platic off and trim?

tried using my rear washer today, could hear the motor going but couldnt see any water coming out. Also noticed then later in the day that my drivers front and rear footwells are absolutely soaking! actually forming puddles when you push the carpet. Gonna strip all my interior out sometime this week if i get time, if not the weekend. Whats this pic of the yellow one? whats it show?

Ok the lock on my boot is pretty wrecked. It looks all corroded. Today I had a look and the water seems to be getting in through here. Also perhaps around one side of the door handle. I think I know of a spare lock I can get so will try get this changed ASAP. Anyone know if it's a hard job?

My rear washer also leaks. I haven't looked at this too much because I never use my rear washer anyway, so I'm assuming it's not going to affect if I dont use it. When I do press the rear washer though, barely any comes out where it should by the rear wiper, the majority leaks inside the boot!

Also looks like I'm suffering from a leak the same as the guy in VW Lupo section, topic called something like "One very wet lupo". It seems to be coming through at the bottom of my lower doorcard by the screws. I'll read up on this and try to see how I can solve this problem too!

the rear wash pipe runs up the passenger side though. it crosses to the central tunnel under the passenger seat and just behind the cross member then i don't know how it gets through the bunkhead after that

i seem to have solved my leaks - still not put the interior back in just in case

it turned out to be the speaker ring being broken and the membrane behind the lower door card not being properly sealled. vw just covered (and i mean covered!) everything with sealant and so far it seems to be okay. my symptoms were the same as you - absolutely soaked through front and rear foot wells. it's easy enough to get the interior stripped back to the metal throughout (start with the boot trim and work forward), but i did wind up cutting the front footwell sound matting out as it seems to go under the central console - just a head's up. that stuff also takes ages to dry out.

How do you get the rear cards off? I got a leak just at the back and can't seem to get my trim off to see if the pipe is leaking. My rear wash still works but the wet patch is foamy.

car.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Here is the picture of the yellow lupo

Dcp_3300.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Just pull! The card is held on with clips. Once thats off you can see the screws which hold the plastic in (its onnected with clips to the 'bin' section, so just mind you don't damage that)

Edited by lunalupi

I had a similar problem to water collecting around the lock part in the boot and along the seals. I fixed the pipe as shown on here still didnt stop it so I took it to my local dealer and they had a go at sorting the pipe. Again this did not work so took it back once more and they had a proper look at it and found out it was the whole rear wiper/wash motor that was shafted got a new one of these on bit pricey but certainly fixed now i can use my rear washer and dont have to worry bout drowning the boot!! Hope this helps.

Went to VW today, and got someone to have a look and give me advice. He said that from fitting aftermarket speakers, I've probably damaged the foam stuff you have between the door and doorcard. When I had my doorcard off it looked like water had been gettin through where the foam was sealed to the door on the bottom part. Over the weekend, I'm gonna remove it, and make my own thing, using a some vinyl stuff, and some silycone to seal it. I'll also strip all the interior out and see if this solves my problem.

Ok, today, I removed the panel on the inside of the boot. My bro hosed water at my boot for me to see how it was getting into my bootlid. There seems to be a bit leakin in through the lock. Loads of water seemed to be coming into the bootlid when he was aiming the house onto the ledge on the back bumper. So it seems like the water is going under the bootlid, and up into the drainage holes. Does this mean my boot is not sealing correctly at the bottom? I think it's possible to adjust how far the boot comes in before its held shut by the lock isnt there?

Ok, today, I removed the panel on the inside of the boot. My bro hosed water at my boot for me to see how it was getting into my bootlid. There seems to be a bit leakin in through the lock. Loads of water seemed to be coming into the bootlid when he was aiming the house onto the ledge on the back bumper. So it seems like the water is going under the bootlid, and up into the drainage holes. Does this mean my boot is not sealing correctly at the bottom? I think it's possible to adjust how far the boot comes in before its held shut by the lock isnt there?

You can adjust the latch part of the lock to make the bootlid fit harder against the rubbers

Anyone know how? Or is it easy enough that I'll notice as soon as I take a look. Cant really look tonight now, its getting too dark.

Easy mate I did it on the arosa because it didnt fit flush when I first had it. 2 star head screws and the holes are elongated so u can move it backwards and forwards..