GTI lights when abroad ?

i think you have to replace them, atleast that what they do to imported japanes cars into norway, but some do rebuild the lights, but i dont think it would be that easy;) but if you are going fore the weekend, ther isent annything to do;) why even bother:P

Edited by duplostyle

Duplostyle was in fact correct - there is no way to flick the GTI xenons to point in the other direction. You either have LHD ones or RHD ones. Other VAG models have a switch or adjuster.

So, either replace them or don't bother... three guesses as to what I did whilst driving on the continent last year...

Pretty sure it's not good to obstruct xenon lights with anything - the strips you buy from halfords should specifically say 'not for HID xenons' or something along those lines. Not entirely sure why, but I think it's to do with the way the light is diffused when it hits something - this may be why washers are mandatory.

Personally, I'd skip it mate, don't bother, I lived there for two years and never got hassled once. That said, I was always worried when around the Northern ports after hearing how zealous some French coppers are to UK motorists.

To confirm what others have already said, VW's official line is they cannot be adjusted, and as someone said, Xenons from other manufacturers can be often be altered for driving on the wrong side of the road.

I was advised NOT to use those beam benders, as they can make the problem worse. If I were you I wouldn't risk it, but its upto you.

This is the other thing, if they know beam deflectors on xenons are wrong, they're more likely to stop you imo.

A good point, having encountered French coppers though you could probably drive with your lights on full beam all day and night long and only trouble them if they really haven't got anything better to do.