Cardaft is back .....

cardaft

r44my_k: Im sure yours will sell no problem, they are the cars a lot of people want at the moment. Mind they always sell quite well anyway.

It did sell quick. I got it :D I can't wait.

Steve TDI: Its a shame you didnt get it Steve, it would have been nice to keep an eye on it with your threads on here! Still, it seems to have gone to a very good home.

It's just one of them things Chris. It just wasn't meant to be. I didn't have my money together and I didn't want to mess you around with false promises about buying the car when i've not got the pennys. Ah well.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

I wasnt going to put any pics up, as VW people tend not to be into french cars at all. However, i was asked, so here is one or two pictures of my C5 ...

I cant really compare it to the Arosa TDi, as its in a totally different legue, but it really does eat motorways, its the perfect cruiser and has everything you could want: Crusie control, dual zone climate control, auto lights, auto wipers etc etc.

P1030677.jpg

P1030663.jpg

Quite low isnt it ;) There is a button for that too!

Surprisingly it actually grips better than the arosa, which is odd, however not with the same amount of feedback, which can make things a little interesting :swerve:

It has got very french around here recently, we always have a good selection of french cars but at the moment we have 6 Citroens and a Peugeot, still, we have the little Arosa and the VW.

So i tend to alternate between them all, if in not in my C5 im driving another one, or in a choice of Xms, all of which are massive. So im not sure how long ill have this for, i might feel the need for a smaller sportier car to keep me sane before too long, possible another VAG, we will see :D

I know it wont appeal on here, so no stupid french car remarks please!

Chris.

Edited by cardaft

• 10 months later...

Doesnt seem almost a year since my last update in here!

Had a really early start this morning, to drive to Edinbrough to have a look at an Arosa TDi. Which i bought, so i've got myself another Arosa TDi, yes another, I just cant keep away!

Since my last Arosa TDi, ive had three cars, all were fine but wasnt overly happy with them. My current car is a bit of a problematic one, always things cropping up which need fixing. Im still a student and working part time too, I drive a fair few miles now and fancied somehting with good MPG. Well to be honest i wanted to sell my current car and get something more reliable, though couldnt really find very much i liked...

After keeping an eye on autotrader, as I always do, this Arosa TDi came up and I couldnt resist it. It sounded like a good car, later car than my previous one, ABS, low mileage etc, excellent price, so i made my mind up id have it. Though as ever they are never as good as described, so it does have a few niggles. Nothing which i cant sort out, i hope :wacko:

So then the car, well you might as well flick back to the first page of this thread, because its very similar. Again its BLACK! (after i said last time id never have another black car)

The spec:

1.4TDi S

Black

03 reg

54K miles

Dark/later style interior

ABS

Passeneger air bag

My last one was an 02, so it had the light grey interior, no passenger air bag and no ABS. So this one is a nicer specced car. Seat stopped putting TDis into Arosas in 2003, so this one is a reasonably late one (June 2003)

Its got the chrome kit, front grills and dash chrome kit, not sure about if they will be staying, the exterior chromes have gone a bit dull, so might replace those. Interior is very nice though, no marks, nice and smart. Its got a good history, and has a tick on one of the services in the book for a cambelt change, but no receipt to prove. Ill have to get that looked into.

I mentioned it had some niggles, i might need help with a few! :)

Niggle list:

Keys: This is the most annoying thing, for some reason its had its ignition unit changed, which means it has a different key, however the rest of the car is opened by the original remote central locking key, which does work with buttons and sticking the key in the door. However the ignition needs another key, of which i have two the same and one original RCL key - operates the door locks but not the ignition. I really dont want to have to use two keys, so i need to get this sorted out. Can i get a new ignition barrel which will work with the cars original key? or would it be a case of replacing all of the locks and ignition together? - That might get costly. I almost didnt buy the car because of this.

Body: Its black and needs a damn good polish, though most of it looks ok, however there is a scrape on the front bumper and wing which ill have to get repaired.

Tyres: Fronts are on the markers, even though the seller said it had good tyres!

Apart from that, its a very good car, really drives nice, i forgot how well the 1.4TDis pull, it really does pull, maybe even better than my last, which i thought was excellent. So ive just drove it back from just past Edinbrough, about 160 miles, drives nicely, but its very dirty now, so no pictures yet.

So then, future plans for it:

Set of mats and flaps - none fitted at the mo so ill have to have a trip to the dealers

New Lupo gearknob

Polo areo rear wiper

Bodywork sorted

Locks looked at

Awesome rear ARB

Remap

It was recently serviced but ill do that again too.

It was a very good price and so makes up for the work i need to do to get it near perfect, im just very impatient. The choice of Arosa TDis is slim, i wanted a late car with the ABS and dark interior, so my choice was limited. But im very pleased with this one so far :D

Though as soon as its had new tyres ill be using it, everything else can be done as and when.

Well, i might go give it a quick clean and check over.

Chris.

Edited by cardaft

I did think about that, but then i wont have a key to operate the fuel cap.

Im going to have to get that sorted out, its really very annoying, worst thing about the car. I would have thought that a new iginition barrel could be orded for my key number. Ive done this with other make cars, not sure if its the same with VW/Seat though.

Ive had a look at the cambelt and its not very old, still has the part number on it. Its in the book as being done at 48K miles, 6K miles ago. So thats all good.

Cheers Phil :D

I had to get a new fuel cap for mine because the lock was missing out of it, just gave them some number, can't remember what it was) and they made it to fit my key. Was only £13 or something I think. Would have thought it would be possible to do for the ignition barrel.

If not, could get a new petrol cap to suit the other key?

I know what you mean though, my VX has two keys and it's really annoying. The locks freeze up on them in the winter, and a previous owner snapped a key in the lock, so the drivers door has a different one. :(

Well I've checked the vagcat.com site and it lists an ignition barrell "for cars with one key system". It also stated that "key number/chassis number must be supplied when ordering" so fingers crossed they can supply one to fit the original key!

I've been in it already :D. Every car comes with niggles, but I still think you got a bargain!

Thats what im hoping Phil, ideally i want to get the ignition barrel from the dealers to suit my key. Hopefully thats possible. Vagcat seems to think so.

My last TDis ignition went a bit funny, one of the little door things inside the lock went very stiff and moved, so it was very hard to get the key in. I sprayed it with some cleaner a few times and it got better, but never perfect. Ive also had the ignition barrel collapse on another car, so maybe thats why this one has been replaced too.

Thanks for checking it with your vagcom Jon :)

I think its a good buy, certainly drives nicely. Yes it needs a few little things doing, but ive never bought a used car which doesnt, and really its fine as it is, i just like things right. Im very impressed with it. Going to have a better look at it today and have a fiddle with it.

I might get it cleaned today and put some pitcures up, depends what i get up to.

Well im pretty impressed with my new TDi. When i picked it up the paintwork was really looking awful, loads of swirls, minor scratches and looking very dull. Today ive cleaned it, clayed it (never seen so much crap come off with a clay bar before), paint cleaned it and polished it, its really shiney now, looking much better. There is the odd scratch as you would expect but this one seems to have less chips and scratches than my last one, which is nice. I also prefer this metallic black to the flat black too.

However, there is still the front bumper, which has a few scuffs and a slight mark on the wing. So ill get it into a bodyshop at some point for that, but the rest is looking much better now. Will need to do somehting with its front wheels too, seems its last owner was a little too fond of curbs.

Yesterday i got it a pair of tyres, as its front were down on the markers. Went for some Continental Premium contacts. I love these tyres on Arosas, they really grip well, even in the wet, i cant find anything which performs better actually. Not in this size anyway. Though im a bit annoyed as i just got some for the 1.0 Arosa about a month ago and paid £155 for the pair, i got these, exactly the same tyre, size and from the same place, for £128!

Oddly this TDi has a private reg too, however this is being removed soon and going back to the previous owner. Hopefully in the next few days as i dont like this reg. Then it will be back on its 03 plates. I dont have my old MPG reg now, though if i had i wouldnt be putting it on, would be a little odd. Might get it a private reg at some point though.

Slowly starting to get things done with it. Going to give it a service this week, as i doubt it has the PD oil in. Good spray of intake cleaner through it and some deisel treatment in with its fuel too.

P1060786.jpg

P1060775.jpg

P1060764.jpg

Need to get it some mudflaps, much prefer the looks with them, finishes it off a bit.

Cant decide if i should debadge the rear or not, quite like having the TDi badge!

:D

Edited by cardaft

Yup, im pleased with how its turned out, took me all day though!

I dont know how i got them so cheap, they must have reduced them :lol: You should get some for your mums while they are available.

Edited by cardaft

You just couldn't keep away could you!

Looks good! Did you mention modifications there Mr OEM?

GTI\Sport interior would be a good step forward.

:lol: There might be some modifications along the way, subtle ones. Definitely want a rear ARB, possibly lowering but only on eibach springs, ill see what its like when i get the arb. Though im just getting it looking and working how i want for now. Im still using my other car this week, just waiting to get the number plate changed on the Seat.

I got some Seat mudflaps today, its looking better with them. Also did a bit of cleaning on the interior too.

Here are a few more pictures:

P1060822.jpg

P1060817.jpg

P1060819.jpg

P1060838.jpg

Im trying to decide if i should debadge the rear or not, it would look much smoother but i like having a TDi badge. Sets it apart from the 1.0s!

Edited by cardaft

Cheers, good to see your old TDi has gone to a good home :shades:

Yes, thats something isnt it :coffee: Cheap road tax and 60MPG, excellent.

Im very pleased with this one, would have rather had a different colour so it didnt look the same as my last, but its a good colour when clean.

Edited by cardaft

You said the 'L' word, twice!

I know what you mean about the debadging, it looks nice and smooth but I like having the 'TDI'. You could maybe get the newer type TDI badge like Daryll did?

I know! Im just thinking of handling, though that will be in the distant future if i do. See i can cope with yours, i just have to remember to avoid any bumps and dont park over curbs :lol:

Hmm maybe, but it looks odd with just the TDi badge, and i like the red Di. All or nothing ...

looks nice mate.. nearly as nice as mine :P

i know what you mean about the tdi badge, i wasnt sure about getting rid of mine but it does look so much better smooth imo.

plus if people thinks it's "just another 1.0" they wont be expecting the tdi power when you blast past them ;)

:lol: Cheers :coffee:

Thats true, ive thought of that. I might just remove them, looks a bit fiddly with all of the badging. This one even has the little S trim badge, which my other one didnt.

nice looking arosa.

I would definatley remove the arosa and seat wording, but keep the stdi. I ve seen another just the same and looked realy well.

Quite rare with the silver facia surround. Do you have anymore pictures of it? I was given a set by a friend in a seat dealers. Ive never fitted it but I thought it looked quite cheap. Although it seems to really suit yours :blush:

Good luck with it, its getting harder and harder to find a good arosa at the minute.

mikey

Thought id stick up a picture history of my cars since my last Arosa TDi, since this is my members cars thread.

I had the C5 on the previous page for about 8 months, but its a bit wollowy that one, small wheels and an earlier model. So i then swapped cars with my sis, i got her 53reg 206 2.0HDi, which was good fun to drive and is a very capable handling car for a standard car. Though i was finding that too cramped.

P1050535.jpg

I then hunted high and low for another car, something quite large, with plenty of space, kit and was nice to drive. I traveled all over to view cars, but couldnt find much i liked. Anyway, my Citroen side kicked in again and just before Christmas i bought my limo! Its 2004 C5 2.0HDi VTR:

DSCF0092.jpg

Who says Toyo T1Rs are no good in the snow! I was getting places where few others were!

P1060647.jpg

This one drives very nicely, much sharper than my last C5 with it being a later model and having bigger wheels. I know these are an aquired taste and citroens are always ripped on here, but i really do like this car. Though it seems to have a never ending list of 'to dos' atm. However the C5 is on its best behavior since i got the arosa, its even returing 50MPG!

So ive gone full circle with my cars, starting off with my black arosa TDi, then some C5s and back to a black TDi again. Very odd. Though the Seat is a great car, im wondering if im going to miss my C5, large car comforts are hard to give up im finding. So im keeping my C5 until i get used to this Arosa again.

Here is another interior pic of the TDi:

P1060763.jpg

I was unsure about the silver interior trim at first too, but now i really like it. Getting back into the other arosa seems a little dull after being used to the silver details. You dont see many with it fitted, but i do like it now, brightens the place up!

Welcome back.

Good looking Arosa that you have found yourself. I agree with you on the extra interior trims, they give the interior a bit of a lift, I was surprised that VW never offers a similar for the Lupo.