'Stumpy' drivers mirror?

lupodave

Well, this is my 1st post as a proud new VW Lupo 1.4 S in silver owner biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />. I love it to bits! 1st mod was a black VW badge on the front and debadged the back, would take the rub strips off apart from all the dosey t*ats where I work wanna swap paint work every 5 mins in the car park lol. Black rear badge to come, I like the smooth, no chrome at all, minimalist look. Along with 15s to come and many more. If anyone's got any Estorils, GTi wheels or the like, please let me know.

Anyway, I really hate the asymmetrical mirrors and want a small 'stumpy' mirror that they put on the left hand drive ones on my drivers side. Has anyone got any ideas where you can get them cheap? And are they pretty easy to fit? Can you get them colour coded from VW UK?

Probably a bit late now too but is anyone going to the summer festival in Uttoxeter tomorrow?!

Cheers,

Dave.

Anyway, I really hate the asymmetrical mirrors and want a small 'stumpy' mirror that they put on the left hand drive ones on my drivers side. Has anyone got any ideas where you can get them cheap? And are they pretty easy to fit? Can you get them colour coded from VW UK?

welcome along to the club mate, i too am after one of these mirrors they seem to be like gold dust or im not looking in the right places. ive tried the germany ebay.de but no luck so i await the response with keen interest. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by eXXXtreme arosa

welcome along to the club mate, i too am after one of these mirrors they seem to be like gold dust or im not looking in the right places. ive tried the germany ebay.de but no luck so i await the response with keen interest. comparisoncasesm.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />
Edited by ArosaPD

C'mon, have a look here. This is who I got mine off last year. Mark comparisoncasesm.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

cheers buddy my german is rubbish and the online translators arent all that either so its probably y i couldnt fint one smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> any pics of your car from the side so i can see how the colour coded base plates look, its something ive been thinking about just didnt want to do it and find it looks pants. cheers! scott

Got one from german eBay back in January. £23 inc postage. Just waiting to get it sprayed.

Did the early Lupo's and MK1 Arosas not have small mirrors on the drivers side?

Sorry its gone out of my eBay history now or I'd post the link.

S!

..Though it looks like the seller that ArosaPD used.

S!

The earliest Mk1 Arosas have dumbo ear wing mirrors - they're huge! No stumpy mirrors at all, but the later ones got smaller ones like the lupos.

Not entirely...

Dependant on the spec of your car, dictated whether your car came with large/small or even both.

My (phase 1) Mk1s got 2 small. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

the easiest fix for those who want a small one is to go to SEAT.

Edited by Adam-B

cheers buddy my german is rubbish and the online translators arent all that either so its probably y i couldnt fint one drvstubbycasesm.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Mark smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks guys, real help. I did GCSE German and I've still not forgotten it all so the ebay thing's not too bad for me. I just want to check though, looking at the pictures that the sellers have put up on ebay.de the mirrors look different around the bottom to the Uk spec ones on my Lupo. Is this me and just a case that the poor quality of the image that you can't see a joining line along the bottom of the mirror? Are the mirrors for a Lupo and Arosa exactly the same? The reason I ask is because I want to only colour code the wing bit and not the holder on the door so that it matches the passenger side.

As for 'Little Green Giant', my larger drivers mirror has that bit on the end that gives you a larger field of view but dis-proportions stuff (convex/concave, i forget), but the passenger one doesn't. Measure it compared to the passenger side or post a pic up of your mirrors, sure I could tell if they're the smaller ones or not. If not, sure lots of other people on here could...

Dave

heres a link to my readers ride...

yar jim lad.!

let me know what you think, whether they are or not! also im thinking of taking off the passenger side mirror, will this be an mot failure or will it be ok>? i know that a lot of old cars dont have them, but i was just wondering if the lupo had to. =] thanks. x

Pretty sure the one on the passenger door is a stumpy one, like 90% sure. MOT should be fine I THINK because you only need 2 rear facing mirrors, i.e. rear view and drivers door. Don't take my word on that though lol. As for the wheels your thinking of, I am also thinking of some G60s, I've seen it done before and it does like nice - I'm going for the minimalist look of NO CHROME and contrast. So its fully debadged but I've swapped the VW badges front and back for some matte black ones to match the black lower bumpers, I like the contrast with the silver paint. Why not even think of some banded steels?! My mate found a website that does 14x7 and 8 I think, maybe even custom. I'll get the website off him if you want? He currently drives a mk1 Golf -60mm on G60s, they're a really nice wheel and suit the Lupo.

Dave

Pretty sure the one on the passenger door is a stumpy one, like 90% sure. MOT should be fine I THINK because you only need 2 rear facing mirrors, i.e. rear view and drivers door. Don't take my word on that though lol. As for the wheels your thinking of, I am also thinking of some G60s, I've seen it done before and it does like nice - I'm going for the minimalist look of NO CHROME and contrast. So its fully debadged but I've swapped the VW badges front and back for some matte black ones to match the black lower bumpers, I like the contrast with the silver paint. Why not even think of some banded steels?! My mate found a website that does 14x7 and 8 I think, maybe even custom. I'll get the website off him if you want? He currently drives a mk1 Golf -60mm on G60s, they're a really nice wheel and suit the Lupo.

Dave

yeah, i was so close to buying a pair at inters. got back to have another look and they had gone tho. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but yeah if you could get me that website that would be awesome, thank you. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hows about this for a load of rubbish then!!... Just been to see Volkswagen and the women in the parts department said it was illegal to fit the smaller mirror to the drivers door?! Said something about EU regulations, I was like wtf but couldn't be bothered argueing with her 'cos there was people waiting. I was gonna say that the earlier models came with 2 small ones but just couldn't be bothered argueing. Anyone want to shed some light on this?? Is it illegal to fit a smaller mirror to a Lupo that came with a large drivers mirror?? Would it fail an MOT?? Does anyone have the part no. for the smaller mirror? Anyone want to offer some tips about colour coding when I finally get one?!

Cheers, Dave. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

P.S. I'll text my mate now for that website.

Right, I text my mate. He said there isn't a website in the UK, he asked a guy on the caddy forum who builds them about them but never got a reply. I think go for the wellers though on your thread cos they look the dog's watsits!

Dave

16731220a1199337823b888618513l.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

My mate did a 'shop of mine with no passenger mirror, looks top. That's his golf on the left<

Dave

Well there seem to be enough Lupos/Arosas on here with 2 small mirrors which have passed the MOT!

I remeber when a driver's side mirror was added as a go faster 'overtaking' mirror.

I removed the N/S mirror on my MK3 Polo GT and put a blank plate on. Never failed an MOT.

Things do change however.

S!

http://www.ukmot.com/mot_check.asp

http://www.ukmot.com/6-6.asp

http://www.parkers.co.uk/guides/?guideid=0...tion=42&page=44

...so Parkers makes it sound like 2 of the three are required, nothing about size or wide angle.

S!

I'll ask our MOT tester at College tomorrow.

S!

Right, I text my mate. He said there isn't a website in the UK, he asked a guy on the caddy forum who builds them about them but never got a reply. I think go for the wellers though on your thread cos they look the dog's watsits!

Dave

16731220a1199337823b888618513l.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

My mate did a 'shop of mine with no passenger mirror, looks top. That's his golf on the left<

Dave

that does look tops, and i think i may do that very very soon. =] also i think im going to get a set of those wellers they look awesome. =] perfect, exactly what i want, so thank you so so much for that! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well there seem to be enough Lupos/Arosas on here with 2 small mirrors which have passed the MOT!

...so Parkers makes it sound like 2 of the three are required, nothing about size or wide angle.

S!

I'll ask our MOT tester at College tomorrow.

S!

cheers bro, that would be awesome. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />