VW Lupos For Sale?

DanDannyDanDan

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a VW Lupo at the moment, looking for a GTI, but will consider modified examples too.

My ideal would be a high spec, low mileage, stock, laser blue GTI.

Budget is variable depending on the vehicle and I'm located near Glasgow in Scotland, so local is preferred but can travel for the right car at the right price.

Show me what you got!

I don't understand the interest in the GTI, to me they are delicate, fragile and high maintenance, spares are expensive the and aluminium body work impossible. A TDI has all the advantages and non of the drawbacks [bar the brakes, but a 280mm kit can solve those ] and you can drive it, you don't need to hide it waiting for a sunny day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Penguin said:

I don't understand the interest in the GTI, to me they are delicate, fragile and high maintenance, spares are expensive the and aluminium body work impossible. A TDI has all the advantages and non of the drawbacks [bar the brakes, but a 280mm kit can solve those ] and you can drive it, you don't need to hide it waiting for a sunny day

Each to their own.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Penguin said:

I don't understand the interest in the GTI, to me they are delicate, fragile and high maintenance, spares are expensive the and aluminium body work impossible.... you don't need to hide it waiting for a sunny day

Yep. 

I know that feeling with my mk2s.

But if a UK registered Raven blue turned up... 

TDIs are fine, but the chain and plastic tensioner needs to be done, usually by 200k km (125k miles). Beyond that you're on borrowed time. It's a seriously massive job doing it. I have one to do, but keep putting it off (in someone's 9N Polo). Cheaper to get a replacement engine when it goes bang. And cams go in TDIs.

6 hours ago, The Penguin said:

When you get one message me and I'll drive across or we can meet in the middle for a comparison test, you'll be shocked by the acceleration of a TDI

Thanks for the offer but having had three GTI's the next one has to be Laser so it could be a long wait. Its not so much the performance of the GTI that attracts me, it's the old school VW treatment to produce it. I believe the only body panel a GTI shares with any other Lupo is the tailgate. Add in the other things such as the changes to the body shell and the aluminium bonnet and doors and I think you have one special car.

• Like 1

Laser blue is super rare. From what i have seen and can coberate. Only 5 ever made it to the UK. None of which i doubt the owners would sell any time soon.

Edited by lupo1.0se

On 5/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, mk2 said:

Yep. 

I know that feeling with my mk2s.

But if a UK registered Raven blue turned up... 

TDIs are fine, but the chain and plastic tensioner needs to be done, usually by 200k km (125k miles). Beyond that you're on borrowed time. It's a seriously massive job doing it. I have one to do, but keep putting it off (in someone's 9N Polo). Cheaper to get a replacement engine when it goes bang. And cams go in TDIs.

Early arosa tdi engines like going in 9n3s with chain failure. 

The 3 pot 1.4 TDIs are all the exact same lump in all makes & models. The bolt on bits are different, but that chain's the same. There's some talk on Audi forums about it too (failing). A very well known problem. It makes a "zuzzing" sound when badly worn (you can hear it when idling). And the chain slops/rattles a bit until oil pressure picks up just after starting, causing the worn tensioner to take up the slack.

21 hours ago, lupo1.0se said:

Laser blue is super rare. From what i have seen and can coberate. Only 5 ever made it to the UK. None of which i doubt the owners would sell any time soon.

Yep that's my understanding there are only 5 Laser Blue GTI'S. I know of 2 members on here who are long term owners and I have seen a third one pop up for a short while until the member moved it on as his daily commute had increased significantly.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:55 PM, mk2 said:

The 3 pot 1.4 TDIs are all the exact same lump in all makes & models. The bolt on bits are different, but that chain's the same. There's some talk on Audi forums about it too (failing). A very well known problem. It makes a "zuzzing" sound when badly worn (you can hear it when idling). And the chain slops/rattles a bit until oil pressure picks up just after starting, causing the worn tensioner to take up the slack.

No problems with arosa/lupo gen so they must have ruined something by the later gen. 

• Like 1

I dunno... The exact same engine in some Audis and Polos (including the early ones) have failed. Come to think of it, in our local breakers a few years back I spotted a couple of Arosas with duff AMF engines (chain). So engine code AMFs fail in the same way too. Most common failures I've seen (and I try to avoid TDIs) are the chain snapping and cam lobe 1 and sometimes 2 wearing out.

I tell everyone I meet with a 3 pot TDI to have their chain swapped. Actually, someone I know had their's done recently on my suggestion (in a Fabia). Apparently the tensioner was almost completely worn out at 110k miles. I'll ask if they still have the old parts so I can take some pics.

Afterthought? I wonder if running a lower viscocity oil in later cars 10-40 to 5-30, increases the friction between the chain and that plastic tensioner pad- makes them wear faster? Regular shell bearings aren't affected too much by oil spec changes, but roller, ball and contact surfaces are...

IMG_3035.JPG

The friction pads wearing out are not the problem apparently. The problem is that there isn't enough space to allow the tensioner to move further out, to take up the extra slack. The chain starts hitting the sump and then gets damaged. And then it snaps...

Edited by mk2
A pic

I'd agree, the teeth go and the plastic goes and the chain snaps. 

I doubt oil would make a difference and I did note that there doesn't appear to be any specific orientation for the weight which is worrying.

So if the chain start hitting the sump then there’s got to be evidence of swarf in the oil? Although I probably wished I’d done mine now since I had it in bits arse end last year but after deep cleaning the internals I didn’t come across anything abnormal. 

14 hours ago, tigcraft said:

So if the chain start hitting the sump then there’s got to be evidence of swarf in the oil? Although I probably wished I’d done mine now since I had it in bits arse end last year but after deep cleaning the internals I didn’t come across anything abnormal. 

If you're already invested I'd suggest investing a little bit more.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 1:40 PM, DanDannyDanDan said:

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a VW Lupo at the moment, looking for a GTI, but will consider modified examples too.

My ideal would be a high spec, low mileage, stock, laser blue GTI.

Budget is variable depending on the vehicle and I'm located near Glasgow in Scotland, so local is preferred but can travel for the right car at the right price.

Show me what you got!

Hi bud,

See my Lupo picture. Feel free to message me. I might be selling.  Thanks

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMaZQLwhLE-/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Edited by Scarface