Jump to content
Adrian777

Adrian's GTI clean up!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tourist said:

Found the link I mentioned.... :D 

 

 

 

:)

Martin.

Interesting read! After reading it you'd be under the impression it is normal to overfuel but I don't at all believe Volkswagen would sell a car which fouls/blacks spark plugs after only 2 miles of driving😂 On cold it idles around 1000-1200 on first startup doesn't it and then drops to about 800-1000.

Do you know much on the history of your car Martin? Mature or young owners? Well looked after and unmodified? As you can probably tell looking through this thread my GTi has been abused daily and cheaply modified so I still have the idea that a dodgy remap could be causing this but we won't know until VCDS comes in!

In regards to the EPC light however, I believe it did come up with brake light switch fault when scanned using an expensive Snap On code reader but my eBay special reader didn't come up with any codes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Adrian777 said:

Interesting read! After reading it you'd be under the impression it is normal to overfuel but I don't at all believe Volkswagen would sell a car which fouls/blacks spark plugs after only 2 miles of driving😂 On cold it idles around 1000-1200 on first startup doesn't it and then drops to about 800-1000.

Do you know much on the history of your car Martin? Mature or young owners? Well looked after and unmodified? As you can probably tell looking through this thread my GTi has been abused daily and cheaply modified so I still have the idea that a dodgy remap could be causing this but we won't know until VCDS comes in!

In regards to the EPC light however, I believe it did come up with brake light switch fault when scanned using an expensive Snap On code reader but my eBay special reader didn't come up with any codes. 

Where do I start with mine?

 

Very briefly- Mine was an ex dealer demonstrator which explained why it was spec’d. with air con., single CD player and Cambridge rear lights, managed to find out purely by chance who PDI’d. it and the salesman whose demo. it was originally, turned out that he had five of them over the space of a few years (and still worked for VW when I spoke to him).

 

I think mine had perhaps suffered slightly less than yours by the sounds of it, but only just- from what I worked out from the service history and what VW had on file, the owner after the dealer got their money’s worth out of the warranty.... :)

 

There is a picture or two of it on here somewhere, it’s black and dirty with a very faded and stone chipped bonnet/bumper and all the other wear and tear that comes with a high mileage car, basically standard apart from AP coil overs on their highest setting and a Janspeed rear box with a Longlife centre section, a new VW cat back was too expensive but the original that was fitted had lasted fifteen years.... :D

 

I think I am owner number nine....

:) 

Martin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin, that bonnet is not age/mileage.

That's something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, Tourist said:

Where do I start with mine?

 

Very briefly- Mine was an ex dealer demonstrator which explained why it was spec’d. with air con., single CD player and Cambridge rear lights, managed to find out purely by chance who PDI’d. it and the salesman whose demo. it was originally, turned out that he had five of them over the space of a few years (and still worked for VW when I spoke to him).

 

I think mine had perhaps suffered slightly less than yours by the sounds of it, but only just- from what I worked out from the service history and what VW had on file, the owner after the dealer got their money’s worth out of the warranty.... :)

 

There is a picture or two of it on here somewhere, it’s black and dirty with a very faded and stone chipped bonnet/bumper and all the other wear and tear that comes with a high mileage car, basically standard apart from AP coil overs on their highest setting and a Janspeed rear box with a Longlife centre section, a new VW cat back was too expensive but the original that was fitted had lasted fifteen years.... :D

 

I think I am owner number nine....

:) 

Martin.

Ninth owner! Wowwwwww, so a few of the previous owners were wanting performance by the sound of things. How many miles has your car done? Excited to get mine on VCDS to find out what's going on though so unless you beat me to it I'll keep you posted!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So front nearside disc which came with the car had warped badly even though they had plenty of life left but AA gentleman said that's due to them being bad quality and heavy braking.

IMG_0534.JPG.a28a195cbe7c5f7314373270ddbaa666.JPG

Incredibly annoying and the steering wheel vibration was just horrendous. Gave it some new Brembo discs and pads from Euro Car Parts, around £60 for them so not half bad personally! There was also a slight brake fluid leak too so slapped some Stainless Steel braided HEL brake lines on too whilst at it. 

IMG_0706.JPG.028dce8c79940dd89e083c7fad38d238.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG.51674dd394380a0a773a610b8494969a.JPG

Appreciate they aren't fantastic images but honestly very pleased with the lines! Ordered them off Kam Racing and the levels of service there are fantastic though! Very quick delivery time to say they were out of stock and they needed making with plenty of delivery updates. Well worth the extra money ordering off Kam Racing instead of other companies as that was a stress free process. 

In regards to the fitting of the lines however, I didn't do them myself due to not wanting to potentially kill my brakes😂 But the lines on the rear weren't a quick and simple job to do apparently as some drilling/grinding needs to be done. Speaking to other owners who have put in braided lines too, some have said it is easier to drop the rear axle to put them on but my garage didn't bother!

 

 

 

Edited by Adrian777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adrian777 said:

Ninth owner! Wowwwwww, so a few of the previous owners were wanting performance by the sound of things. How many miles has your car done? Excited to get mine on VCDS to find out what's going on though so unless you beat me to it I'll keep you posted!😁

Erm.... guilty I’m afraid- I am responsible for the coil overs (the original suspension was a bit of an unknown quantity and it sat a bit high for my liking) and the aftermarket exhaust, a new genuine VW cat back was way too expensive and I think the Janspeed rear ‘box looks nicer.... B)

 

Mileage is just over 154000 and a bit :)

Martin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tourist said:

Erm.... guilty I’m afraid- I am responsible for the coil overs (the original suspension was a bit of an unknown quantity and it sat a bit high for my liking) and the aftermarket exhaust, a new genuine VW cat back was way too expensive and I think the Janspeed rear ‘box looks nicer.... B)

 

Mileage is just over 154000 and a bit :)

Martin.

They do look fantastic but the noise is another league:cheeky: Envious of you being able to source a Janspeed rear box though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrian777 said:

They do look fantastic but the noise is another league:cheeky: Envious of you being able to source a Janspeed rear box though!

The Janspeed rear ‘box isn’t that much louder than the original VW cat back it replaced- in all fairness though, the original centre ‘box did have a hole in it which was only apparent when it was cut off, it was right on top where the MOT testers couldn’t really see it.... ;)

 

I have got some recent video footage of it at idle after warm up which I will try and upload here, it might take me a while though so don’t hold your breath.... :D 

 

Managed to upload it quicker than I thought....

The Janspeed was a bit of an accident, I started asking the seller about postage and ended up buying it.... :blush:

Martin.

Edited by Tourist
Add YouTube video link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hel really are the best brake lines out there - happy to say I have been a Hel user for many years.

By using all stainless they completely moved the goal posts that the former go-to Goodridge had put up with rusty steel fittings. If you ever need a custom line, go to Hel direct, they make them up to order, whatever length and fittings you require, turn around is good too - seem to recall next day service each time I used them.

One question on your front brakes - did you clean out the sliders? and re-grease? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, LR5V said:

Hel really are the best brake lines out there - happy to say I have been a Hel user for many years.

By using all stainless they completely moved the goal posts that the former go-to Goodridge had put up with rusty steel fittings. If you ever need a custom line, go to Hel direct, they make them up to order, whatever length and fittings you require, turn around is good too - seem to recall next day service each time I used them.

One question on your front brakes - did you clean out the sliders? and re-grease? 

HEL Delivery and production times are seriously fantastic! Less than 5 days to make up and send. I mean having had these lines in now for a few weeks and done probably about 700 miles on em for the money they are great as an OEM replacement to help futureproof the car but it's one of them ones where I wouldn't go out of my way to get them fitted.

Ermmmm:Angel: Hope my mechanic cleaned out sliders and regreased, but at the very least I can see he copper greased the new pads at least! Is it important to do so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More to do with the possible cause of the warped disc - sliders help with even wear, if their gummed up you won’t get even wear

 

Hel hoses - Did that 5 days include the weekend? Got a set for the Mk5 order Sunday, delivered Wednesday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understood! We'll see what happens in a few thousand miles time

Not including weekend although I did order off Kam Racing who asked HEL to make them and then send it directly to me, ended up saving about £2.00 though by ordering off Kam instead of HEL directly and every little helps I guess:D

Would it have been more you reckon if I got measurements of the lines and then went to HEL direct for custom lines instead of buying the OEM replacement off HEL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.