Lupo door locks falling out

Hi first post. I got my first car a few months back. Bought it cheap to learn to drive in. One problem is the exterior locks on both doors are falling out.

As you can see i can bang them back in but someone could easily pull them out and walk off with them at the moment ? Anyone know a quick cheap fix that will get them more secure? 

20170909_100944.thumb.jpg.e2916211c5edd9677b3e4f179573070e.jpg

20170909_100956.jpg

2 hours ago, weslangdon said:

but its easily damaged and often doesn't work, when that happens use an epoxy glue

no wonder you are having lock issues.

if it doesn't work then you fish the rings out the door and rebuild the mechanism.

18 hours ago, Rich said:

no wonder you are having lock issues.

if it doesn't work then you fish the rings out the door and rebuild the mechanism.

This.

It's a pain but not hard hard. It's a torx and is different to the others holding the mechanism.

lupolock.jpgAnd as the famous Haynes manual says, fitting is the opposite of removing.

Edited by lupogtiboy
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 0:19 PM, lupogtiboy said:

lupolock.jpgAnd as the famous Haynes manual says, fitting is the opposite of removing.

Thanks but even when I tighten that screw the lock is still loose and can be pulled straight out so guessing it's more complicated

The guy i bought it from mentioned the lock and gave me the replacement he hadn't yet fitted. It looks complicated to fit. Any ideas if a decent mechanic could fit it cheaply or is it doable for a novice like me? ?

20170926_154038.jpg

The issue isn't with the part in your photo. It's the "lock carrier" that you require. Find one in a breakers or even VW they're not too bad. Easier to just get a new one if you're not technically/mechanically minded. There's a guide on here for how to change it, or if you're struggling I'm sure one of us can write it out step by step for you. 

Essentially the barrel is keyed and will only slide in one way. Once it's in, you tighten that screw up and it turns a ring inside that blocks the extruded parts of the barrel, thus meaning it can't be removed. Have you tightened the screw as far as it will go without utilizing gorilla strength? 

• Like 2

When my lock broke not knowing how to get it out. I took top door card off started fiddling with lock when window went down on my hand and trapped it. It hurt well apparently 

it's a safety feature !!  if it is a real one and my window work's fine.

Andrew

On 9/28/2017 at 11:31 PM, Rich said:

take the whole handle/lock assembly off and do it off the car.

it will all explain itself when it is off.

It has manual windows. I took the external handle off after unclipping the black connector and then took the lock barrel out. Do I need to take the whole lock mechanism out (like the replacement lock i posted before) or is it just the barrel part? 

When I clip the semi circular thing to the lock barel when it's not in the door it fits perfect and secure. When I try and do the same when fitting it to the door it just comes loose again. Not much room to work with inside the door. Very annoying 

Edited by FormerCarVirgin

1. Remove lock barrel (Shouldn't be an issue here lol)
  2. In the side of the handle closest to where the barrel would be is a cable clipped in - note where it is set and remove it with a small screwdriver
  3. Remove handle, pull it towards the rear of the car and outwards simultaneously, if it doesn't come freely you can peep inside the door and see how the end closest to the rear of the car attaches. 
  4. There's a small torx screw now visible, remove this and the carrier will come out. 
  5. Fitting is the opposite to removing. Remember to tighten the t20 bolt that holds the barrel in place.

Not the most descriptive but again, it's been a while and it makes sense to me! 

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cj1 said:
  1. Remove lock barrel (Shouldn't be an issue here lol)
  2. In the side of the handle closest to where the barrel would be is a cable clipped in - note where it is set and remove it with a small screwdriver
  3. Remove handle, pull it towards the rear of the car and outwards simultaneously, if it doesn't come freely you can peep inside the door and see how the end closest to the rear of the car attaches. 
  4. There's a small torx screw now visible, remove this and the carrier will come out. 
  5. Fitting is the opposite to removing. Remember to tighten the t20 bolt that holds the barrel in place.

Not the most descriptive but again, it's been a while and it makes sense to me! 

Thanks guys. I removed the whole thing. I'm assuming the attached images is how it should be.

Problem is would it be possible to fit the completed lock and handle back through the door without deassembling it? or do I have to blindly do it (fiddle my hands through the door until the gold cap moves perfectly into place)

Strange that none of the diagrams I found online seem to have the gold semi circle thingy

20171002_200650.jpg

20171002_200633.jpg

19 hours ago, Rich said:

put the mech in with gold thing,

attach handle,

slide barrel in, 

lock barrel in place 

Thanks Rich and everyone who helped. finally got it in and fixed. It's secure although the lock barrel pops out slightly when I pull the handle but it's not going anywhere. Maybe because the flimsy plastic paint protecter/frame thingy fell off when I was doing it and I never put it back. Anyway job done

When doing it I noticed a disconnected cable in the door. Probably a dumb question but does anyone know what's it's off? The side speaker is already connected  (see attached)

Now the only major issue I have is that the oil sensor light randomly comes on when I'm driving even though the oil level is fine. When I do the ignition/button trick the light temporarily comes off for a while but comes back. Guessing the oil sensor needs replacing

20171003_175128.jpg

20171003_175047.jpg

20171003_175104.jpg

Edited by FormerCarVirgin

• 3 years later...

This is my process. Remove car lock - one hex socket behind blank indoor. Dissemble lock assembly by depressing the central paddle and allowing the retaining ring to slide out. (careful it's spring-loaded). Purchase Polo replacement lock part and file off central lug until flush. I also trimmed down the other two lugs as they were a millimeter or so longer than the broken part. I also replaced the spring. To assemble tension spring around the central post and engage ends around lugs on replaced lock part. Replace top retaining ring and push locking ring into position, ensuring small lugs from paddle slot into it to retain in position.

•  
Edited by DeirdreGill