Insurance Banter.

CPall

Alright,

I just passed my test yesterday, i am 17 and am looking at insurance.

I have a Seat Arosa 1.0 and the car is in my name.

I havent been quoted anything under £5,000 and that is just simply ridiculous

do you guys have any tips of what i could do to get some affordable insurance?

What companies to try and any other information that could help me?

i don't see how people could possibly afford it and i just want to get out in my car pretty soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Assuming your a male...

Chop ya wood off ;)

Haha insurance would be much easier if i had a vagina.

Well i'm 18 and passed a few months and for my 1.0 im only £549 a year!

And thats with the AA

=]

really? that on your own policy and fully comp?

Call the nfu, i can guaruntee they will beat anybody's quote and i can tell you that in the event of an accident the service is fantastic and they do pay up. they say they are not competitive for young drivers, but still offer the best quotes. also put parents on the insurance policy to reduce your premiums and also take a pass plus test to get a further 10% off.

i am 19 had one accident at 18 (car written off, at no fault of the driver). spent year one of driving in a 1.4 polo 16v 100bhp (£350 for a year as a named driver on parents policy), now just about to reach first years no claims in a lupo sport (currently paying £2700, reducing to £1900 next month as im gonna be 20, and a further 30% reduction the following year.

Edited by BEP51

Alright,

I just passed my test yesterday, i am 17 and am looking at insurance.

I have a Seat Arosa 1.0 and the car is in my name.

I havent been quoted anything under £5,000 and that is just simply ridiculous

do you guys have any tips of what i could do to get some affordable insurance?

What companies to try and any other information that could help me?

i don't see how people could possibly afford it and i just want to get out in my car pretty soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Gender change

Parents as second drivers.

get a garage for overnight stay

cat 1 alarm and immobiliser

move to an area with a lower rated postcode

age quickly

limit the miles per year.

The stupidest thing but smartest thing you have ever said Al lol...

Put your parents as NAMED DRIVERS, not as the first drivers.

Change where the car is kept, mine was cheaper to be parked outside my house than on a locked driveway somehow?

Dont modify your car first year at all, direct line were cheapest for me on a 1.0 mk3 polo, that was £1900.

Try elephant, bell, admiral, all the same company but they're all cheapest for me now, my 2nd year insurance, fully comp, mum on my policy - £847 on my 1.4 75bhp lupo.

Insurers love proving that the young 'un is the main driver and invalidating the policy. They know all the tricks :rolleyes:

You need to do a bit of trial and error. Your Dad or older sister might make the premium cheaper than putting your Mum on, for example. Change where it's parked. Lower your estimated annual mileage, but don't go stupid. Play the voluntary excess game, but don't make the excess too high so that it's worth more than the car, many do and it renders the policy effectively TPO.

It's tough, but whatever you do, do not compromise yourself to get cheaper premiums. You will be caught out just when you need it most.

3rd party fire and theft with both parents on my policy aswell!

Well, iv just tried the exact same as youve said with the AA and mine came back at 6,415 quid?

how is that so different?

The stupidest thing but smartest thing you have ever said Al lol...

Put your parents as NAMED DRIVERS, not as the first drivers.

Change where the car is kept, mine was cheaper to be parked outside my house than on a locked driveway somehow?

Dont modify your car first year at all, direct line were cheapest for me on a 1.0 mk3 polo, that was £1900.

Try elephant, bell, admiral, all the same company but they're all cheapest for me now, my 2nd year insurance, fully comp, mum on my policy - £847 on my 1.4 75bhp lupo.

My car is only a 1.0 also yet the cheapest iv found anywhere is 4,200 quid

Why is it so bad for me?

Just put your parents as first drivers, its wrong but who wipes! f paying thousands and thousands for insurance

Yeah im gunna have to when the logbook comes back so i can change the ownership to my mum or dad.

Or is it possible for my dad to have a policy on a car in my name?

Insurers love proving that the young 'un is the main driver and invalidating the policy. They know all the tricks :rolleyes:

You need to do a bit of trial and error. Your Dad or older sister might make the premium cheaper than putting your Mum on, for example. Change where it's parked. Lower your estimated annual mileage, but don't go stupid. Play the voluntary excess game, but don't make the excess too high so that it's worth more than the car, many do and it renders the policy effectively TPO.

It's tough, but whatever you do, do not compromise yourself to get cheaper premiums. You will be caught out just when you need it most.

Its just depressing...

Don't put it in your dads policy, you can find it cheaper - just look everywhere, make sure you're the first driver.

Some reasons:

1. They will catch you out.

2. If you have an accident and they assess your car, you'll obviously be the one driving, they'll figure out you're the main driver and your policy will be void.

3. They're not stupid...

4. You dont get your own no claims!! Some places like Direct Line say you build your own no claims even being a named driver - but that only applied for Direct Line! So if you found someone else cheaper, you cant carry over your no claims.

5. Dont be a tool.

• Like 1

Aviva FTW

See I would of agreed with that, but find they are useless at customer service. Quotes call centres are all english and really helpful, try modifying your policy after. I asked them to give me a call on Friday, it's now Monday. Fail.

Try looking at fully comp insurance and phoning people up instead of comparison sites too. I actually find it's cheaper to phone.

Again, call nfu for a quote and i can assure you they WILL be cheapest that u find.

And by far the best for customer service, email/call a real person straight away.

Edited by BEP51

Iv got no idea why peoples insurance seems to be so much nowadays... When I was 17 (I'm only 21 now) I bought a 1.2 Clio and payed 1700 fully comp with no named drivers. 4k+ for a 1.0 is just theft! And they wonder why people drive without insurance?!

Iv got no idea why peoples insurance seems to be so much nowadays... When I was 17 (I'm only 21 now) I bought a 1.2 Clio and payed 1700 fully comp with no named drivers. 4k+ for a 1.0 is just theft! And they wonder why people drive without insurance?!

I paid £369 when I was 17 for my own policy. It was 23 years ago though and a rip off then.

Aviva FTW

Aviva have given me the cheapest so far like, at 2900 on my own fully comp

getting cheaper but still unaffordable

Again, call nfu for a quote and i can assure you they WILL be cheapest that u find.

And by far the best for customer service, email/call a real person straight away.

everyone iv spoken to has said the same, but iv rang them and because im under 25 and my parents arent with them, then they cant insure me :(