Body roll - the next step?

lizzy

I've got coilovers and an awesome rear ARB fitting to my arosa tdi. The rear arb is set to the stiffest and is fantastic but you soon get used to it. The handling is much better than it was but I want to reduce the body roll further. Where should I next put my funds? Standard Gti arb? Uprated front arb? Strut braces?

Any suggestions?

Polybushes - honestly, they make as much difference (if not more) than uprated shocks.

Then some grippy tyres (R888's/R1R's/A048's)

After that, get a full geometry setup - camber, castor, toe angles etc. You really will be flying then buddy.

Ii bought the Weichers strut braces, only fitted the rear and it made a slight difference, still got the front upper and lower to go on.

Quite reasonably priced as well.

Wind you coilies up, decked coilies are bouncier.

Bouncier yes, but less travel = less roll surely?

To an extent, but i know that the difference between mine being wound all the way down and having one inch of the threads makes it so much better to drive and less crashy and bouncy.

Mine's wound up loads atm, I'm going to miss the awesome handling when I deck her again :lol:

Invest in some better quality coilovers.. Being too stiff isn't ideal anyway.. One you have got rid of any under steer your laughing.. Stiffest setting on the awesome arb just aids oversteer when coupled with poly bushes and kw v1's when your really pushing on through the twistys..

Read above. Body roll is part of the handling.

I agree, but what I am saying is the current level of handling/balance is fine. But less body roll would be better.

I personally don't see how increasing the supension travel or polybushes will reduce body roll. Body roll has got to be a function of chassis stiffness and centre of gravity? :confused:

'Argue' or asking for more substance to back up your claims? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If someone can back up claims with evidence I am more likely to listen. If someone can't then it sounds like hearsay. There is far too much miss-information on the internet. You got to try and sort the wheat from the chaff. All I'm trying to do is answer my original question.

I usually find the people that first get defensive are the ones who know the least and don't like being questioned.

Or.....

My car had **** loads of body roll when I bought it.

I fitted a white line rear arb. It helped a little, but mainly reduced under steer.

I fitted KW v1s, they helped a lot, I had them adjusted about halfway down the threads. Shows season came, I slammed it, it bounced around. I wound them back up, its firm and flat through the twisties again now. If I push it hard enough it'll three wheel, it used to just flop over with all wheels still on the ground.

I'm speaking from experience and don't have to justify my claims. You don't have to listen to anything or anyone, ofcourse. But, my suggestion to wind the coilies up came from the fact that I've been there and done that!

To be fair, if ou have done all that and are still unhappy with body roll, I would be looking at the coilovers.

My GTI is on KW v1s, no other suspension mod's and I occasionally take the long to and from the bingo for a bit of a blast and I have no problem with roll.

4050523899_40b969c3a9.jpg

Bends ahead... by Ray Crabb, on Flickr

...and the understeer is fun!