Advice needed about legal clearance

Luppy Jack

So today I was pulled for the first time and handed a pg9 and had to have a MOT retest.

The reasons for this was about arch clearance, I'm running 8j banded g60's (so et10) obviously quite pokey, my arches have been rolled flat, 165/50 nankangs plently of stretch so the tread is in the arch

I am running fk highsports with custom rear springs, the clearance on the rear is obviously minimal, so I don't totally disagree here (which some flaring will hopefully remedy)

My query was on further inspection of the car he starting to become ambiguous, such as when I put my front wheels on full lock, there was definitely clearance but he explained if the car was fully laiden there wouldn't be any clearance, but surely thats irrelevant as it wasn't fully laiden at the time and he should only be inspecting what he can see?

How much clearance is neccessary to be deemed road worthy?

Edited by Luppy Jack

If it doesn't catch it passes, signs of catching they'll probably advise or if they're mardy they'll fail, but if it catches then you're kinda asking to be pulled anyways!

If it doesn't catch it passes, signs of catching they'll probably advise or if they're mardy they'll fail, but if it catches then you're kinda asking to be pulled anyways!

I see, I got a retest about an hour after the incident, jacked it up until I get my arches sorted just wanted to know where I stand if I get pulled for it again,

I need to be confident it'll never rub regardless of the load in it I guess

I think the police officer is talking utter baws. As far as i know there's nothing to say how low a car can be (unless it's over laden). I'm surprised he didn't have a bitch about the stretch though tbh.

I was also surprised by this not a word was mentioned haha

were you driving normally or like an idiot? sounds like he just needed an excuse to pull you, (running 165's on 8's :surprised: ) you will attract attention. im pretty sure there is no rules on how low you can be

I can honestly say perfectly normally, very rarely do I drive like an idiot, what with it being a 1litre and all that :blush:

Edited by Luppy Jack

in regards to catching arches. it shouldnt fail the MOT as far as im aware. i once had an advisory for "fouling against bodywork"

im no MOT expert so i could be wrong.

Sounds like I caught him on a bad day then, ill put that one down to experience and hopefully have no more trouble once I flare the arches! Also considering a smal amount of camber if I can't get the clearance from flaring, but trying to avoid this as much as possible

Thought you might haha, I'm the guy who came to pick them up with him, saw you in the loop down derby last night, still had no luck with the sale?

ooo i know who you are now then :)

not having much luck at all bud. Its on ebay with about 4 hours left. loads watching it but will have to see how it ends. About ready to give it away!

where was i?

I was on my way back from the station after beig told I can drive again haha, you were coming round the McDonalds/morrisons roundabout about 6ish with the mrs I assume

Haha I can imagine it too be annoying looking forward to seeing the progress on the golf! hopefully it'll go this time then bud, I assume they don't know it just won best gti 2012 get that ebay listing edited!

I was on my way back from the station after beig told I can drive again haha, you were coming round the McDonalds/morrisons roundabout about 6ish with the mrs I assume

Haha I can imagine it too be annoying looking forward to seeing the progress on the golf! hopefully it'll go this time then bud, I assume they don't know it just won best gti 2012 get that ebay listing edited!

yeah i met sophie at macdonalds afterwork as she was heading home i was heading to college. i think i did see nathan in the drivethru. were you with him?

yeah iv edited it :) its got over 60 watching it and had a few emails and messages. Just got to see what happens. If not i will stick it up for 2500 in the classifieds... it should definately sell for that much.

Yeah the golf will get there eventually ;) think nathan wants to see it when its running anyway so will pop out one night in the summer for a spin

yeah i met sophie at macdonalds afterwork as she was heading home i was heading to college. i think i did see nathan in the drivethru. were you with him?

yeah iv edited it :) its got over 60 watching it and had a few emails and messages. Just got to see what happens. If not i will stick it up for 2500 in the classifieds... it should definately sell for that much.

Yeah the golf will get there eventually ;) think nathan wants to see it when its running anyway so will pop out one night in the summer for a spin

Must be a killer going to college at night haha? yeah I was with nathan :)

I'd had thought you'd have easily got 2600 for it no doubt it would go for 2500 in classifieds

Yeah man definitely, im sure ill see the progress of it on here but let me or nay know when you're ready to show it off :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, if your car flies through the MOT no problem, who pays, you I assume?

You shouldn't have to pay for an MOT retest (unless it fails of course) just because some copper finds out his wife is shagging his best mate behind his back and decides to go all arsey with every individual he meets.

Edited by Skezza

Out of curiosity, if your car flies through the MOT no problem, who pays, you I assume?

You shouldn't have to pay for an MOT retest (unless it fails of course) just because some copper finds out his wife is shagging his best mate behind his back and decides to go all arsey with every individual he meets.

Yeah you pay, don't think you are refunded etc which is a joke. Best advice I think is to not give them a reason to pull you, drive safe etc. If your low with wheels poking out your arch/illegal hids etc there going to be more likely to pull you and hope they can do you for 3 bald tyres and no insurance as well as saying your car isn't roadworthy due to lows or excess poke.

Unfortunately I've found the police are always right even when they are wrong. You will only ever win if you go to court and most people are scared at that thought so just give it and pay fines etc it's quite sad really

yeah you have to pay for the privelege of the retest, good job mine only had about 3 months until it expired ;)

Yeah you pay, don't think you are refunded etc which is a joke. Best advice I think is to not give them a reason to pull you, drive safe etc. If your low with wheels poking out your arch/illegal hids etc there going to be more likely to pull you and hope they can do you for 3 bald tyres and no insurance as well as saying your car isn't roadworthy due to lows or excess poke.

Unfortunately I've found the police are always right even when they are wrong. You will only ever win if you go to court and most people are scared at that thought so just give it and pay fines etc it's quite sad really

Totally agree, but I can honestly say I do drive pretty sensibly my license is too valuable to me to drive like a dick :thumbsup: My car is very oem, apart from the banded steels, aswell as maintained so not really any issues on that front. All my mods are declared, hence paying silly money to insurance a 1litre.

I also get this feeling aswell bud! I've kept the pink ticket in my car so if I get stopped again after i've sorted the issue I shouldn't have any problems.

who'd recommend flaring as opposed to camber or both?

How much tyre wear should I expect with very small negative camber? (like I said driven sensibly so not much heavy cornering etc..)

A little worried about losing the profile of the arch one the flaring starts :unsure:

This is why I have little faith in the police nowadays. How times have changed eh? The police used to a trusted and respected industry, but they have gone right downhill in the last 30 years or so. When was the last time you saw a local bobby on the street? They are too busy nicking some 17 year old doing 36 in a 30.

When dealing with the police nowadays, I know how little they care about me, as such I'm happy to show how much I care about them.

Just remember the standard rule of British policing... 'police by consent'.

This (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_definition_of_'policing_by_consent') means they are only allowed to do what you let them do (to a degree, it's not quite that black and white but it holds true for most non-serious issues).

If they pull you over and ask you to get out the car, you have the right to ask "why" and they have to give you a reason. They are asking you to get out of the car, it is not an order. If they say "I'll tell you when you get out" you have the right to say "no, tell me now", they shouldn't force you unless they fully intend on arresting you afterwards. If they force you out, to then breathalyze you and you come back clean, they have actually broken their code of conduct.

It's worth noting that they always ask, they rarely shout or order because of the this principal of 'policing by consent'. If they want me to get out of my car, they better give me a damn good reason. A while back, I was doing 60Mph in a 50 zone. To be honest, the signs aren't very clear so I didn't see it drop. I was pulled over and the officer told me "you do know you were doing 10Mph over the limit back there?". I didn't say "oh no, really, was I officer? I thought it was a 60 zone" because that gives him all he needs to write me a ticket... I've basically admitted it haven't I, even though he only has his judgement as proof. Unfortunately, people do that quite a lot and then just accept the ticket. I said "you sure about that? have you got a calibrated speed camera on your car then?", he said "no, but I was following you, you were doing 10 over, have you been drinking"... See? the focus has shifted from my speeding to my driving because he really has no evidence but he's scraping. I said "no, I haven't", he asked for a breath test which is a legal requirement so I happily went ahead with. As expected, the screen showed zero. He glumly told me to "you haven't been taking drugs have you" then quickly said "look, look, just be more careful from now on and to take care when driving at night, okay buddy?" (I sniggered when he called me buddy lol)

Simple eh? I wish it was different, I really do, I'm not a criminal, I want to respect the police but I just can't right now.

Edited by Skezza