gti or tdi

ditchyboy

selling my Gti for £3000 ovno.

id say that wasnt a bad buy myself for the condition its in, but im biased....

Edited by Piers

A little bit different I know but I've had a lupo gti, polo gti 6n2 and a 9n polo tdi 1.9.

I would go for the diesel any day now. Ok its not a lupo but its bigger brother. Keep it in mind if you want something quick and economical. Mines running about 220bhp and still does 55mpg at 75mph. 160-180 bhp is achievable pretty cheaply, any higher involves more expensive turbo and intercooler.

Not driven a 1.4tdi lupo, did try a 9n Polo and really hated how gutless it was off boost. Like pulling away or driving slowly round a round a bout, if you were slightly off boost it did absolutely nothing. I found myself having to change down from 2nd to 1st gear whilst still moving to get it back on boost to keep up with traffic. However the 1.9tdi is a completely different ball game. Shame it was never put in a lupo, would've been a true gti beater!

When you've got going the 1.4 pulls well, but my gti was much more fun to drive and had more character. The ideal in my opinion? A GTI with a tuned 1.9tdi in... Reality if it has to be a lupo? Gti.

Edited by mini-man-dan

I don't think a 1.9 PD engine is worthy of a GTI badge in any car to be honest.

A GT TDI maybe, but the top spec GTI needs a petrol engine to be a true enthusiasts car.

AAH my mk4 Golf ANNIVERSERY had a GTI badge on the rear and it was 1.9 tdi from factory.

the GTI is the spec of the car nothing to do with engine type: