The Red Breadvan

R99

Ray are we not allowed opinions anymore, my link was legit.

Its sad when people have to make something normal seem more expensive than what it originally is just to try and fit in, women painting the bottoms of their shoes bright red so they look like Christian louboutin, people putting bbs badges on reps.

Just run them for what they are and drive your car in normal high heals

Yes you can have an opinion, but when the thread becomes nothing but spam, it's unfair on the thread creator.

Whilst a Mini wouldn't be my first choice of car to replace the GTI or Dune, more to do with the interior than exterior or engine, I like what is being done with this one (and other) as do members.

I got a tad fed up with trawling through spam to find what I was interested in. I'm sure R99 is happy for people to have opinions, but please don't labour them.

An update to send the haters into a total melt down ;)

BBS caps on (genuine 3D versions) fit fine diameter wise, but will need some work with a file to get them to sit flush, looks straight forward enough even for a novice like me.

d4038947.jpg

Also got some new shiny tuner bolts to go with the wheels as the OEM bolts look horrific!

fee38757.jpg

I wouldn't put bbs caps on fakes. Just to clarify though there is absolutely nothing wrong with fakes.

I think it's important to clarify the difference between "fake" and "replica".

A replica is designed to look like something it aspires to, but accepted not to be the real thing - e.g. people who used to put Ferrari 355 bodykits on Toyota MR2s.

Replicas are not designed to dupe people.

A fake is designed to look like something it aspires to, so much so that people are not supposed to be able to discern any difference - e.g. most Ebay watches from China!

Fakes are designed to deceive people.

In my opinion, only the latter is wrong (although that does not mean I was ever a fan of those MR2s!)

Imitation is the best form of flattery, is that what you're getting at Joti?

Personally I couldn't care less whether they're replica wheels or not. Anyone who buys replicas buys them knowing they're not, in this case a genuine BBS wheel.

It doesn't mean the wheels look any worse for it. Granted they probably won't be as strong and they aren't actual split rims but you also don't pay well over £1000 for a set.

I like them. I'm not the kind of person to turn up at a show and poke fun at someone because they haven't got real BBS'. It's all about the look and styling not about the brand.

I'm not the kind of person to turn up at a show and poke fun at someone because they haven't got real BBS'. It's all about the look and styling not about the brand.

I would never make fun of someone who could not afford a set of BBS, nor anyone who had a replica set and acknowledged as much. What I fail to understand is why someone would want to buy a replica and then pass it off as a bona-fide BBS wheel?! That makes both the wheel and the person fake.

Yes, it is about the styling and not the badge.

To be honest I am somewhat disappointed by this forum's almost universal worship of BBS wheels - people stick them on their cars like sheep, unable to come up with anything more original or creative.

I know they are good quality wheels, but over-hyped in my opinion - and I don't even care for multi-spoke styling if truth be told...... but that's just my opinion.

I'm not looking for people to agree with me, because as long as the masses stick BBS on their cars, it makes others' more original and different, which is what I thought modding was all about.

I'm happy to go against the masses..... :)

Pretty much every show I've attended this year has had cars with lm reps in the show section.

They look nice :D

Plus, you have real centre caps which is something, fake bbs caps are usually horrible!

i just think if theyre rep dont advertise them as real with bbs caps ... theres no need for the caps cos the car and the wheels will look amazing without the bbs caps!!

• Like 2

OK, wheel related update again.

Now got my bolt in valves sorted, so once I get the wheels sealed and the centre caps glued in, I'll be getting the tyres changed over and the rims on the car.

Valves:

6e2b7d1c.jpg

Also used a Dremel to sort out the rear of the centre caps. I've cut down the clips and removed the raised lip on the back on the centre caps, so they sit flush in the wheel now.

I just need recomendations as to what glue / bonding agent is going to be suitable to glue them in place..... suggestions guys??

I was thinking about maybe black tiger seal?? I need something that sticks to both ABS plastic and metal...

1a17ec63.jpg

57d7e001.jpg

Another update:

Got the insides of my spare lights back today and after an hour or so putting them back together tonight after work, here are the finished joey-modded lights....

2ed61cfd.jpg

93e39e19.jpg

c49126a0.jpg

2466927f.jpg

Really happy with them, was definatley worth the extra money (£50) to get them sprayed up by a decent bodyshop, the finish is OEM quality and now they are all sealed up again they look factory standard! :)

OK, update time again.... the headlights are now on the car! :)

Nightmare removing the 4th bolt, had to get it ground off and replaced.

Anyway, here are the pictures!

50/50:

70644360.jpg

Fully fitted:

f2844fca.jpg

30f430c2.jpg

Close up:

1baf3985.jpg

c7df2e17.jpg

Took some fiddling to get them sitting flush within the light rings, but a very simple job all in all.