Coilover advice

Alex-Bone94

I'm looking for a set of coilovers but need advice in which ones to look for?

I want to know which ones are best for comfort and reliability, also no more then £250, any suggestions?

At 250 you'll find most of the budget coilies are the same. If you want comfort though, don't get coilies.

As for reliability, The budget ones often come with 2 year guarantees but what good that is is any ones guess. That said, we've run budgets on ours for 3 years or so now and not had any problems. I ran the same on my silver one for a year and the last time I saw it it'd done another 20k with no issues as far as I know.

Well it's coilovers or 40mm springs?

I have side skirts and a front rubber splitter which makes the car look slightly low, I wouldn't wanna go really low because I drive on country roads to work everyday so with coils it would be a rough ride.

Are 40mm springs worth it?

Most people don't have that kind of money to spend, or the patience to save it. A lot of folks on here run JOMs & say they're a good ride for the money - about 200 quid. Or there's FK's AK street coilovers which are adjustable at the front but fixed 40mm shocks & springs on the rear which can be got a fair bit cheaper. The best ride (as in most comfortable on bumpy roads) would probably be eibach springs & either standard shocks or ride adjustable gas shocks. The other option in your budget is getting decent coilovers second hand which is what I did, i've just got a set of weitecs & they're a bit bouncy but nowhere near as uncomfortable as I feared - having never had coilies before - had a drive down country roads to see a mate tonight with no drama.

Edited by Koop

I just brought some ats cups so I'm abit skint for this month now:(

I will keep my eye out tho for decent used coils, I ain't got the patients to save my money's haha :)

Tbo I've had my fk coilovers on for a year now, had to sell the old car for them (hahahahahahahahaha) but all in all I wouldn't buy cheap and regret but buy middle or top end as its somthing what u has to live for till u sell or spend more money on.

I see where your coming from Shaun, I want coilovers by next month, I just brought my new wheels, skint this month and ain't patient to wait more then 2 months as my new wheels will look stupid with my ride level standard :(

I just brought some ats cups so I'm abit skint for this month now:(

I will keep my eye out tho for decent used coils, I ain't got the patients to save my money's haha :)

Wait a couple of months and save up for atleast AP coilovers. Infact, you can get KW V1 basics for just under £500.

If you can wait a few months before getting coilovers the KWs will be perfect.

If you're worried about the wheels looking silly at standard ride heigt, don't put them on. Do coilovers and wheels all in one go.

True true, I might sell my old wheels, I got some stuff on eBay, next month I got 200-250 out my wage packet towards coils so I might get decent ones next month :)

With suspension it really is a case of you get what you pay for..

Jom, Jamex, TA Technix, Raceland and a fair few other budget brands are all made in one factory in the netherlands and are exactly the same apart from the branding label stuck on.. We got a set of the Raceland's in for an engineer with a Polo 6N and he did a full test of them. He found that they were prone to going coil bound when lowered at all. This is when the rings of the spring are all touching and basically means you have no suspension travel - needless to say that's not very good for handling...

We found we were getting a lot of warranty issues with FK so stopped supplying their goods. got the impression that either their quality control has laxed in recent years (dampers would have wrong fixings welded on etc. also found a high amount of valve seals seemed to go, leaking oil within the first year vs any other manufacturers we sell.. the only FK we didn't have too much issue with was the Konigsport and Silverline X kits but these use dampers made by Koni..

if I didn't have a set of the KW v2's on my GTI the lowest price ones i would consider would be the AP ones. never seem to get any issues with the AP, Weitec or KW ones.

If you can't stretch to this then a set of decent fixed height suspension is the ideal solution. the best of these is the Bilstein kit as they use eibach springs and the best monotube technology in the dampers but this makes it more expensive than the older twin tube technology used by other manufacturers.. you can also get fixed height AP kits for £250.00 which have had positive response from our customers

• 2 weeks later...