Is my Lupo Famous?

R-P

Hey Guys,

A few months ago I bought my 02 Lupo Sport TDI here in Northern Ireland. Looking through the service history I found that it had only been in Northern Ireland for a year or 2 before I got it and before that it was in England, I thought it was cool that according to the service book the 1st owner was Volkswagen UK and the number plate on the car when it was new was L3UPO, would have been cool if it still had the plate but what do you do, never thought anything else off it untill last night when I was watching an old Top Gear where Clarkson was driving the Lupo TDI, and there it was, Blue Lupo Sport TDI with L3UPO on the plate ... could it be that my car was the one Clarkson drove on Top Gear? If it was I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing, but would really like to know for sure if it was. I watched it a few times trying to see if there was anything I could spot, it has the sunroof like mine anyway and the CD Player on the dash.

What are the chances and is there actually any way to confirm it?

Thanks,

yeh thats what I was thinking, if I went to buy it and the guy had said "Jerremy Clarkson drove this" i'd have probably walked away, lol :P ... specially since at the end of the Road Test they cut back to the studio, its sittin there, and James May says they raced it round the Top Gear Track against a 16v, so, its had the balls hoked outta it then? lol ... In fairness though the service book shows like 3 services in the first year so its been well maintained and it still drives sweet, still only 63k on clock now.

i036771.jpg

Found a screen shot of it on what I am assuming is my car from Top Gear, would really love to know for sure though. Below is whats in the First Owner section of my Service Book.

luposervicebookextract.jpg

Lol, that does not surprise me at all, lol, well it runs sweet now so I cant complain, and at least I can say "Clarkson drove my car and he loved it" :P

Do you think if I phoned VW and gave them like the chassis number they could confirm if it was one of the ones they used as press cars? Long shot after near 10 years like but would really love to know.

Interesting subject, sounds like it is your car that was used as Volkswagens press feature car!

Seen the Top Gear episode on the TDI Lupo on YouTube - very nice :)

It seems that you have all the paper work that backs this up. Would be good for the original reg to return to the car.

Not sure how much it would affect value of the car, maybe a professional valuation is in order considering all of the documentation et etc.

Can't be many famous lupos/arosas just trying to think of some

Top gear diesel test cars (above)

James mays mother owned a seat arosa - mentioned in a top gear episode featuring Honda jazz etc.

Sod it - just look here.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=Volkswagen&model=Lupo

Ha ha ha ha it actually is on that car database site, awesome, I should post on it, they are just arguing cause the plate comes up as a gti.

Don't know if it would effect the value of the car would it? Feel extra smug actually if it does cause compared to any other ones advertised when I was looking for one, I got it for a pretty good price.

Plate would be nice to get back on it, but its taken, lol ... Not really into cherished plates tbh

Edited by R-P

My brother actually came up with an awesome idea last night over a few beers, since Belfast is now apparently the Hollywood of Europe and they are filming so many new movies and tv shows here, I should try and get my Lupo used as an extra in as many things as possible, not for money, hell I would do it for free, just for a laugh really.

Gonna have to look into this more I think its a pretty good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post an update on this as I finally got an email back from VWUK this morning.

Dear Mr Cassells

Thank you for your recent contact in relation to your Lupo. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lengthy delay in my response. This has been caused by an unavoidable issue which has prevented us from responding to email correspondence. Please be assured that no discourtesy was intended.

I am pleased to confirm that vehicle chassis number, WVWZZZ6XZ3*****37 was used on Top Gear TV circa in October 2003 and at that time it carried cherished plate L3 UPO.

I hope this information proves useful. Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Yours sincerely

Phil Rhodes

Customer Enquiries Advisor

Volkswagen Customer Services Centre