Back to Belgium

Paul

As my Lucy was registered on 3rd December 2001, I thought I'd take her back to the factory where she was made for her 10th birthday.

She was made in Belgium, so off I went on Friday 2nd.

34zlf7k.jpg

Here she is outside the factory

15oedqt.jpg

VW has handed it over to Audi and the A1 is made there now. There were hundreds of them!

zskgg.jpg

Then I drove home :).

how do you find out were and when it was made

i googled it but it involves the 1st and 11th letter of your vin Number

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080731091341AAt2EDs

Tells you all about it there.

Mines from Wolfsburg haha

i googled it but it involves the 1st and 11th letter of your vin Number

http://answers.yahoo...31091341AAt2EDs

Tells you all about it there.

Mines from Wolfsburg haha

Thanks for putting the link up James :thumbsup: Yes, the 11th character tells you, which is why I posted the pic of part of my car's VIN to show the 'B' :)

I thought Lupos were all made in the Wolfsburg plant in Germany? i wonder if they were made elsewere too?

From what I recall reading in other threads on this forum, all Lupos were made at Wolfsburg up to a point, then production of standard models moved to Belgium. However, the GTi remained in Germany.

I'm not sure when production of standard models moved to Belgium but mine is a December 2001 car (2002 model year). I'd like to find out the VIN numbers of cars made in Germany and cars made in Belgium to work out when the change took place.

Interesting.. Does this work for Arosa's?

I have a mk1. Just checked the numbers, my first character is V, which isn't on the list.. However the 11th character says it was made in Wolfsburg lol..

I had heard they were made in either Spain or some crap poor country in eastern Europe..?

From what I recall reading in other threads on this forum, all Lupos were made at Wolfsburg up to a point, then production of standard models moved to Belgium. However, the GTi remained in Germany.

I'm not sure when production of standard models moved to Belgium but mine is a December 2001 car (2002 model year). I'd like to find out the VIN numbers of cars made in Germany and cars made in Belgium to work out when the change took place.

wonder if this coincides with the slight change in Dashboards? mine has the old shape?

There was two shapes? :) pics

its the same shape, but the Hazard and heated window switches are under radio and the Dials are white.

DSC00792.jpg

you can see the position of the switches, and just about a piece of the white dials.

these changed around 2000 to the ones that are most common i guess. also these cars have the Full headrests and different patterns on the seat (I Think?)

I have that dash or i did until i converted it to the later style. Mine had grey dials though :-(

i kinda wanna convert mine so i get the cup holders. but that lower storage thing is really handy.

Oh i see, i know what you mean now. Yeah Jamie said he thinks this was around the same time they started putting holes in for rear speakers.

yeah i think so too

I have that dash or i did until i converted it to the later style. Mine had grey dials though :-(

was it hard to do a conversion ? how did you go about moving the hazard and rear windows heater ?

The conversions not too hard but you need a fair few parts to do it.

List of parts needed:

Later style center console with the switches in the lower part

Blanks for the new center console

Heated rear window switch for the lower section

Some wire and spade connectors

Later style stereo surround with hazard switch

Cup holder surround for the dash to go where the hazard surround was

Cup and coin tray fascia plates for the new surround

Things you need to do.

Remove old center console

Remove radio and old radio surround

Remove old switch unit.

Cut and extend the heated rear window wires thread them through to the lower dash

Attach spade connectors to extended wires

Fit your new center console

Pull the spade connector wires through

Connect them to the new heated window switch and push it into its housing

Install the blanks

Cut the hazard wires and put spade connectors on them

Install later style radio surround and pull wires through

Connect the wires to the new hazard switch and push it in

Reinstall stereo

Remove cupholder and coin tray and install them into the new surround

Offer up to the dash and trim the dash to suit

Use some screws to screw the cupholder/coin unit to the dash

Done :-)

Some hints:

If you get the parts from a scrapyard try to get the plugs from the new buttons so you don't have to use spade connectors

For the radio surround, hazard switch, switch blanks and heated screen switch you can use polo 6n2 items. Dont buy a polo 6n2 centre console though as they wont fit correctly

You will have to trim part of your dash to get the cupholders in i used a hacksaw blade on its own to do this

Its tricky but doable

If anyone actually attempts this i can help with wire colors

This may take you a while to do it took me around 2 hours but im used to this kind of thing

If your joining wires solder and insulate them

ALWAYS disconnect the battery when playing with electrics

Hope that helps it seems more daunting than it is.

Edited by madmanncfc

wonder if this coincides with the slight change in Dashboards? mine has the old shape?

Hmmm, that's a good point :thumbsup:

James, and others, please could you confirm whether the 11th character of your VIN is a 'B' or a 'W' and if you have the new or old style dash, and the date of your cars registration?

As I've said, mine has a 'B' for Belgium, she was registered on 03/12/2001 and has the newer style dash design.

would you like a picture? But mines a W and registered somewhere between 29th august and 1st sept 1999 not Entirely sure where the registered date is.

Edited by James827