speeding :(

bowers155

was going 45 in a 40 and they have for some reason turned the speed camera around to catch people out , is there anything i can do ? what's the chances of me actually getting a letter and can i not do anything about it because they changed the camera around ? but ive checked insurance when it comes to re insure and its about 200 spondollies more so inst to bad :/ just rather not have them !

Did it flash? Most cameras in a 40 shouldn't trip at 45, I understand it's usually +10% +5mph. Might be out of film anyway, you could be lucky.

10 % of 40 is 4, so it would go off at 45.

Then take into account that your speedo will be marginally out you are never actually doing the speed on your speedo.

All that aside there is **** all you can do but wait

Edited by scotty_82

10 % of 40 is 4, so it would go off at 45.

40+10%=44, +5=49. They're not all set the same though, your best bet is to keep to the speed limit ;)

Then take into account that your speedo will be marginally out you are never actually doing the speed on your speedo.

Speedo generally shows a slightly higher speed than you are actually travelling (they're set up in the factory with margin for error), unless of course your tyre diameter is larger than standard

All that aside there is **** all you can do but wait

Pretty much. May the Force be with you.

I'll disagree with you there , not one of my cars above 30 has been reading over compared to my sat nav, everyone has read under and that margin has increased with speed

And i don't think the plus 5 theory works either but your right , stick to the limit an you don't have to worry

Edited by scotty_82

I thought I got caught doing almost 40 in a 30, (mobile camera) and it turns out I was only doing 35ish, ended up only doing a speed awareness course instead of taking the points.

Good luck.

Cant appeal against the camera being turned around, there used to be one around here which changed every other day.

not one of my cars above 30 has been reading over compared to my sat nav, everyone has read under and that margin has increased with speed

That's weird, mine have always read over compared to sat nav & them signs that tell you how fast you're going. That's with standard wheels though. Need to find one of those signs when I get back on 15s to test it!

Sorry Koop I read your first reply wrong , what I meant to say is my speedo always reads over compared to my sat nav when going above 30.

So at 40 on my clocks is probably 37 on my sat nav

Sit tight and hope the postie doesn't deliver a brown envelope.

Couple of years ago, Foxy and I blasted through a mobile speed camera on Rannoch Moor, Foxy got a ticket I never.

What do you mean they turned the camera round? What type of camera - a gatso or truvelo? Was it still at the other side of the road?

ACPO guidlines state you shouldnt get prosecuted unless you are doing 10% + 2 over the posted limit, most fixed cameras will be at this (or possibly more dependant on Force)

ACPO guidlines

They are only guidelines, so the Police can do what they want. Cameras and operators are 'supposed' to be highly visible. They rarely are. Unmarked vans parked in a line of cars are common place. Given a speedo cannot read below the actual speed, setting cameras at 1mph above the limit is legitimate.

What do you mean they turned the camera round? What type of camera - a gatso or truvelo? Was it still at the other side of the road?

ACPO guidlines state you shouldnt get prosecuted unless you are doing 10% + 2 over the posted limit, most fixed cameras will be at this (or possibly more dependant on Force)

If its the one I think it is, its a gatso. 3 lanes each way with a speed camera in the central reservation. It used to face one way and now its been turned around so it faces the other way..

Edited by Jambro

They are only guidelines, so the Police can do what they want. Cameras and operators are 'supposed' to be highly visible. They rarely are. Unmarked vans parked in a line of cars are common place. Given a speedo cannot read below the actual speed, setting cameras at 1mph above the limit is legitimate.

Whilst you are correct, this rarely happens in practice. Of course plenty of people post on forums about how they got pulled by a lone Officer with no hat on for doing 31 in a 30 whilst the Officer was coming the other way with no headlights on but they are often bending the truth somewhat.

If its the one I think it is, its a gatso. 3 lanes each way with a speed camera in the central reservation. It used to face one way and now its been turned around so it faces the other way..

So its facing you as you are driving towards it?

A Gatso isnt approved for oncoming traffic, so isnt admissable.

If it gets you as you drive away from it, you must have seen the flash if it went off - they are rather bright

I got flashed a few times in my younger sillier motorcycling days, clearly never had any film in though as my licence remains clean as a whistle lol

So its facing you as you are driving towards it?

A Gatso isnt approved for oncoming traffic, so isnt admissable.

If it gets you as you drive away from it, you must have seen the flash if it went off - they are rather bright

Everyone used to speed one way (when it faced you as you're driving towards it). But now its swapped the other way, I'm guessing bowers155 didn't know it had, so potentially got flashed as it would've been facing the rear of his car as he drove away from it..