not too sure where i want to go

mccrindle

I won't sell up though unless I have to financially wise because the car will be more of a weekend car and very rarely used as a daily as I have work vehicle so ...

I don't see what the big deal is about engine converting.

I have a Base Spec 1.0 Arosa and I'd much rather put a Polo GTI Engine (or more likely a 1.6 8v) in it than buy a GTI.

Different Strokes for Different Folks. Some people just like the cars they own.

Have you asked what the difference in the insurance will be for changing the engine.

Cost wise, if it is just going to be a weekend car then there are more focused alternatives that would be cheaper to own / upgrade as you find the time / money.

Just be aware that you will never get the money back you put into this

Angelo

Edited by angelo77

Yeah great!

**** gearboxes, **** MPG's and **** engines.

behave! my sport was on 98k when i sold it and it was still running great!!

with a 2k budget and a friend who maybe knows what he's doing, i'd say your options are a sport engine or a polo gti engine. if you manage to do that cheap you'll have cash left over for new exhause etc.

p.s. i think people need to chill out in this thread. kid just wants advice on engine swap, not insurance and whether he can afford it. I agree that it may be best to sell up and get a faster car but wheres the fun in that

Fatty and Marcus, I appreciate you can see where I'm coming from. I'm only after advice on what can be a good choice for conversion. As for the insurance that would be sorted when the conversion would be finished, I'm not gonna pretend to still drive a 1litre, people who do that really spoil it for the honest people out there. :)

It's best to have a clear idea of all the costs involved otherwise you end up with a stalled project.

The reason I have highlighted the insurance is the cost for cover on all cars has increased, at 19 anything that is modified will be expensive.

No point in taking the time to build something only to not be able to enjoy it as the running costs are to high, then when you come to sell on, you will only have a small market of potential buyers.

Yeah I understand where your coming from. As for selling on, I very much doubt I'll part from the car and if I do it won't be for a long time!

Are you in Thatcham near kettering pal?

I am in the process of putting together everything I have spent on parts and labour over the 8/9 years I have had the car.

I swapped my old engine out for a new one and still ended up spending a few hundred replacing parts while the engine was out.

I am pricing up a decent induction set up at the moment similar to the one 99hjhm has (his car thread is definatly worth a good read) and that alone will be £110 for materials without the cost of the filter included.

I would get a list of parts required together,

A List of tools you will need

Make sure you have a dry warmish area to work and this always saves time and will keep you motivated

And dont do anything that you cant put back if you are not happy about it

And just to give you a budget idea, My exhaust with 100 cell cat was £675.00, Coilovers, polybushing, Rear ARB £700 ish new engine £450.00, consumable parts, timing belt varous bits and bobs £200, hire of engine cradle, ramp etc @ mates rates £75.00 for the weekend thats £2300.00

Thats not taking into account that I work at an engineering firm and have access to most power tools etc

Just get as much info as you can and have a realstic goal in mind,

Angelo

PS you will need bigger brakes!!!

Edited by angelo77

• 3 weeks later...

no mate thatcham near Reading.Been trawling through all sorts of info lately and still not 100% sure haha. However, i think it would most likely be a polo gti lump i'd go for. Where abouts did you get a new engine from for £450 as i would want a new/re-conditioned engine and have looked at the engine shop does anyone reccommend these or any other companies?

you will be lucky to find something "reconditioned" for that price.

ebay, try gumtree for cars being broken

although i would say you would probably be better off with a donor car.

Edited by johnyoung

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I like your idea of keeping the loop. I love mine hence i did my conversion.

for you money, forget the 1.8t as it has already been said.

I would be very much inclined to go for the GTI engine swap, its pretty much a direct fit, its easy enough to do but not so easy that you wont learn from it. you can do it on a budget. and yes, you CAN get a lupo GTI but yours wont look like one of them. you can give it a bit of a tweek here and there, which I am sure the lads on here will help you with as enough of them have done it and hey presto you have a little car that you can call your own and will be off into the night like a little go-kart!

just my thoughts :D ..

exactly finally someone who agrees, my logic of thinking is, the lupo is potentially a future classic maybe not like the mk1 golf as such but something that will become pretty rare and think it would be cool to roll around in one in 10years or so. as for the engine i've got a fair bit of work to do at the moment on other areas of the car then im going to start sourcing all parts to go in tandem with a polo gti donor car. My budget of 2k will rise accordingly but not really fussed how much i blow in the end haha

Cults share the same logic! It doesn't mean they are right when they all sit there in white robes waiting for aliens to come !!!