not too sure where i want to go

mccrindle

Hi all,

Along with a few other plans i am currently looking into possible engine swaps for my loop which is a 1.0e. Will have a reasonable budget to do the swap etc. (as i will be putting £ to one side as well as acquiring parts along the way). I am aiming around the 2K region and am just after some advice on what i could run working to this budget as well as considering how challenging swaps are.

Originally thought tdi route but this looks far too awkward for my ability, even though a good friend who is a qualified mechanic will assist me.

I have looked at 1.8t which looks ok-ish and also like the idea of doing something along the lines of a 1.6 with a 1.4 head but i don't want to be too samey.

Whatever route i choose i will most likely get a re-conditioned engine which looking at prices from the engine shop range from 700-1300.

Any info to help give me a clear idea would be greatly appreciated :coffee:

I appreciate what your saying but the chances of a low mileage gti is very low. Either way I will more than likely go for a swap as car will be kept for a long time :)

In that case steer clear of turbos, endless hassle & endless dorrar involved looking at the 1.8T builds on here & much as I admire them, a Loop doesn't really need that much power. You'd double your power with a 1.4 Sport engine, that'd probably do you nicely & be the easiest conversion.

Cheers for advice dude, yeah I agree mad power isn't gonna be that great cause it's not needed for the size of car. I'd like to run around the 150bhp mark give or take a bit.

I appreciate what your saying but the chances of a low mileage gti is very low. Either way I will more than likely go for a swap as car will be kept for a long time :)

How does this make doing a conversion a needed thing? Buy something else and keep that a long time.

If you do a swap, be aware it takes years of experience to do a conversion both inside and out the car and retain that factory level of fit and finish.

Polo Gti conversion all the way on that budget! Plenty of money to do it properly and with money to spare to subsidise a set of top end coilovers, ARB, brakes etc to make it handle well!

2k plus the sale of the car gets a polo gti though, conversions rock when either A the car can't be bought with that engine B you can do it yourself diet cheap

Lol

Building a gti engined lupo will End up costing more than buying a gti if the lad is not doing it himself, engine suspension, brakes etc all add up plus the cars original value.

Gti can be picked up for 3.5k and it has everything put free box

Obviously this is different if you can get an engine cheap and do all the work yourself but still .....

I can tell lol me too tbh. I'd like to think the thought hadn't crossed mr mccrindle's mind though lol

I understand what your gettig at but I want to keep the car I have as I don't want something else and keep that. And about the insurance comment, everything will be declared , for example I haven't put my coil overs on yet as I've had a problem with admiral saying they won't insure them. At the end of the day im only wanting people's opinions on possibilities of what I can do engine wise :)

Possibilities are only held back by your own mechanical ability or the balance of your bank, one of those is questionable by the questions you have asked and the other we wouldn't know about but of it is large then get ringing a few companies for quotes

I'll admit my ability mechanical wise isn't great but I have a good friend who is a qualified hgv technician willing to assist me and will do more of the awkward parts. My bank balance will be fine to cover the costs and I doubt very much I'll be going for a 1.8 .