Pickup up my TDI, first impressions and a few questions...

montythemole

front.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

back.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I'm new to the group as only just getting my TDI (arriving Wednesday). Was thrown out of company car scheme as they're forcing us all to buy our own (boo hiss). I was after a TDI Passat as I do about `35-40k` a year but fell in love with the above instead. After having a look around this forum and the almost unbelievable mpg, reasonable performance and cheap insurance (still paying 700+ but cheaper than most other stuff I looked at) I decided to take the plunge and buy it. Opinion in the office is divided between those that hate the colour and those that really despise it!

It's a standard TDI with leccy windows, mirrors, CD and a aftermarket remote c/locking and alarm kit (which appeals as I've heard the Lupo locks are easy to force). Also seems to have a full size spare when I thought they came with space savers? Anyone know what colour it is as the latest Lupo brochure they've dropped it from the range? And as you can see from my other post I am currently sans manual. Where is it meant to be stored in the car when I get it as there is no glovebox?

Modification wise I do too many miles and drive on crappy building sites so lowering is out. Got a set of Generation 3 Lexus style rear lights on order and will be getting the rear side and back windows tinted for security and comfort (first car in 5 years I've got without A/C), after that it'll be sit back and see what 40k a year does to a poor little Lupo. Anyone had any experience of high mileage in a TDI?

Any help, advice, or encouragement that I haven't really just bought a green rollerskate would be appreciated!

looks mint!!

Just cos you do a lot of miles, ont discount the idea of Lowering.

After fitted -30mm Eibath springs, the ride was so much better.

Almost as soft, but didnt role around the road.

Lights wise it may be wise to hang on incase a rumoured lamp comes out pretty soon. :wink:

How about a `Re-Map`?

You can get well over 100bhp for around £450, and lose the power on power off turbo punch. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Bloody great colour mate.

After 5 years of company cars I picked up my very own 51 plate TDI today. First impression is it ain't as big as the Passat I just gave back! Coupla quick questions:

1) The ride seems firm over bumps (fine) but quite choppy when you chuck it about. Is this normal for a 'sport'? It's done 48k so are the shocks on the way out or is this the way they are? If so what's the best way to firm it up with minimal drop (I used to ground the Passat out on building sites regularly and care more now it's my sump!)

2) Door - Bottom of door panel is speaker, ickle door pocket, then huge flat waste of space. What's behind this? Can you fit another speaker in this space?

3) Storage space above air controls - what the frig is this and why the weird slots in the side, pointless styling or some really useful storage compartment I don't understand?

4) Remap - everyone's on about the performance increase on these, but what's the effect on mpg?

Ta for any advice.

1. The ride is ***** I agree.

Thats why I suggested some Eibach springs in your previous thread.

Totally transform the car.

No harsher than the standard ride IMO.

2.No point in fitting a speaker into that area, as midrange is directianal, so faceing the side of your seat wouldnt sound very good.

Great place to mount some cross overs mind. :wink:

3. I use mine to hold my phone so it doesn't slide around in the blanking tray under the headunit.

4. Dunno bout this, as I get more preformance out of my danceing Bullmastiff than I do from my engine, but Im sure someone will be along with the answer to that.

So then.

You like it?

Yes, Tigz like it a lot. Just done 310 miles today and cruised nicely at 80 on motorway (got couple of points so don't go any faster), and wasn't too bad on the B roads although I kept finding myself cruising along at 60 enjoying it rather than chucking it about like I usually do.

Got home to find the mudflaps I ordered off ebay had arrived so they're on now, my first mod! Think it'll shave a few secs of `0-60`! ;-) or at least should mean I don't have to wash it so often.

Will have to consider the Eibach springs, ta.

I see your point about the speakers but seems such a waste of space in car that doesn't have that much to go around, but then it's not surprising considering they wasted space on badger tongue storage....

Attached for you arty types is a pic of an awesome machine capable of generating unimaginable power. And Gainsborough Power Station. Boom boom!

power.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Nice pic! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I like the colour too, at the rate you're going you'll have done more miles by the end of next week than mine has done since new!

Yeah I do a lot of milles, the 3 year old Passat the lease company took back was up to 98k. Have done my sums and so far am averaging 51+mpg out of the Loop which ain't bad. Stuck in one of those Redex Diesel treatments today to see if it might help any.

Well the lights arrived and are fitted, look great I think, will see if they leak like some have said they do! Still not sure about debadging as like the chrome badges against the lights. Now to save for some eibachs and maybe a spoiler.

lexusback.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Strangely for me, I love your Lupo in that colour (don't usually like green) biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Saw a bright green one this morning, about 8.30 driving down Landsdown (Bath) - wondered if it could have been you, as there can't be *that* many in that colour! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> hehe

Actually since I got this I've seen about 5 others in the same colour, I noticed yesterday (or rather my mate did) that the seat fabric has little pics of mice and cats! Look like squiggles to me but once they're pointed out you can see 'em!

Lights are all a matter of taste but go with the chrome grille etc I'm planning.

I actully like them on your car.

Adds to the brightness of the car.

Chrome grill would look mint, check of nfbr's reders rides, the grill looks great.

Then you should lower it slightly smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Trust me, you wouldn't regret it.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> looks nice.

tdi unit is great on motorway, 1/4 tank did me 89 miles on sunday last week, so lookin around 320 to a tank on motorway @ 85mph

But i only get 230 to a full tank on normal short drives thru town.

PM Carter he'll be able to tell you about the Remap's effect on MPG. Most companies claim that they increase MPG as you dont have to rev as hard as the power range is more constant, but with more power, most people are likely to be more foot heavy to get the extra grin factor, so i imagine that way it'd lower your MPG

Actually finding Redex is dropping the miles a bit, only averaging 45mpg over the last 1000 miles/week.

Maybe it'll take time to pick up.

Getting the car kit fitted on Monday and then it's going back to the dealers to sort out the magic self opening passenger window!

Well Tigz I've debadged it and just bought a set of Eibachs off Ebay (good I love Ebay, seem to sell my cr@p faster that I spend it so all purchases seem free!) so will see how it looks. Unsure whether to fit them myself as I have before in the past but it's a fair few hours of work, think I'll see how much kwik fit want.

lupotdi.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

i will fit them for ya mate! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

pm me and we will have a chat!

QUOTE(montythemole)
Well Tigz I've debadged it and just bought a set of Eibachs off Ebay

Good lad smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Im sure you'll be very happy with them.

Well here's the debadged back, and because it's been cleaned here's the wife's Smart. Between us we have a 2 litres, V6, Twin turbo, just choose to share it between two cars!

lupotdi.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

smart.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />