LINCONSHIREGTI

LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou all so much for the comments. Despite modifying the car for my own love of cars it is truelly heartfelt that others like my way of doing things. I absolutally live for cars and do not doubt that I shall always have a car to play with as long as I have roof over my head (and the cars head).

To answer some points that some have asked.

Loving my new lights, never felt happy with the 'Lexus' ones since fitting them.

Black paint is hard work and after nearly 4 years is getting ready for a freshen up soon I think.

Kahns have been on over 3 years now and apart from damage caused by useless tyrefitters are still looking fresh when waxed up...been on through winters of snow and grit too!

Manifold cover is just polished regularly with Autosol to make it shiney.

Engine bay was actually dirty in those pictures as not had time to clean it since the conversion was completed.

Cost was £3700 for mechanical work and £385 for all the electrical work. Criteria was 1. make it fast, 2. make it loud and 3. make it look like a factory finish cost...send me the bill.

I feel the car is nearly finished and I am going to be keeping it for many more years(providing no thefts or accidents that is). Few more things still to do though:

Full race head and cams together with performance manifold and maybe ARP big end bolts to give circa 190bhp.

Some weight reduction but NOT at the expense of any factoryness.

Fresh paint in places.

Still cannot decide on whether to go S3, RS4 or TT Comp wheels or keep Kahns.

tt comp wheels for me! wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Aye me and Hanley were saying how good they'd look on his black GTI. I vote for TT comps too, but i still like the Kahns.

I'm with Alex, got to be the S3's smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Adam-B

s3...always liked the fact that they look like bathursts - but bigger - keeping with 'factoryness'!

My thought exactly. I ideally want some 17" Bathursts but not possible so S3 are kind of the next best thing. Only thing is my Kahn are also very similar (6 flat spokes) but are also polished finish so cannot decide.

what front splitter/diffuser have you got on the car?

It is a 2 piece from a MK4 Astra and is screwed on the Lupo bumper in front of the standard lip. I got mine from a breakers but as the Zafira splitter is £10 a side from Vauxhaul I expect the Astra one to be similar in price.

I got mine from a breakers but as the Zafira splitter is £10 a side from Vauxhaul I expect the Astra one to be similar in price.

You wish.

When I bought my Mk4 Astra one the dealership wanted £40 a side! £80 for 2 pieces of platsic? I dont think so. surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" />

I priced up a Zafira splitter. The dealer let me take it outside and offer it up to my bumper before I paid. The splitter was about 100mm too short (later found out Zafira bumper tucks under loads at bottom). If it fitted was going to pay for it at £10 a side.

Not sure how much an Astra one is but surely not four times more than the Zafira one??? Mine is a bog standard Astra one, not the bigger coupe turbo style remember.

Though back to your price of £80 which is possible as...

I do remember when the phase 1 Laguna splitter craze hit on a few years ago and the dealers charged £65 each for them. (These were 1 piece).

Seat also did a similar thing with the Ibiza one. Was £20 when my mate bought his first one then went up to about £35 a few months later when another mate wanted one. (These were 1 piece).

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

You bought my Laguna one off me for £5 mate. Was ages ago as I went through a phase of thinking I preferred not having one before fitting the Astra one.

Plenty of Laguna and Astra in breakers these days so if anyone wants a splitter get hunting. Usually survive impact as flexible and also only about £5 from breakers...in fact my Astra one was free!

Not sure how much an Astra one is but surely not four times more than the Zafira one??? Mine is a bog standard Astra one, not the bigger coupe turbo style remember.

Though back to your price of ?80 which is possible as...

Mine to is a boggo Astra one.

Fitted it about 4 years ago, but when I went in to get a fresh one (as mines full of road rash, and mis-shapen due to kissin tarmac so many times) the dealership asked which side I wanted, "both please". "That'll be £40................... a side". roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" /> Picked myself up and ordered a reiger bumper.

ive got one of an old astra bumper we had in at work, but i dread to fit it because i think it will get ripped off in a few miles

If its an Mk4 one, they're very flexable and can take alot of abuse.

Been checking out some S3/S4 wheels and not too keen on them now. They are not a very bright finish and I prefer a bright finish against the black paint.

Decided RS4 wheels are too common, on every TT, S4 and other modified VW these days.

So the plan is.....Nuvolari wheels! They are OEM Audi and similar to RS4 wheels but with flat fronted spokes and more dish to them. A polished set of these it is to be.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

• 2 months later...

Jiminy

I discussed having a bespoke carbon airbox for the throttle bodies yeah. Thing is they are about £400 in carbon so decided I would wait for now. I also dont want to change the noise of the induction either...its just like an M3 CSL but without the zingy exhaust note.

PeteDawson

I can't post my pictures but member and good mate 'Tigz' puts them up for me. Maybe he has removed the pictures from where he hosts them? Tigz???

• 4 months later...
Any updates on the wheel front mate?

The one feature on the car I always struggle to decide on is wheels (except when I chose the Kahn's I knew it had to be them).

Current wheels in favour are 16" Azev A. I want to go down to 16's and lower (with chassis leg modified) but everytime I see it on the Kahn's I am not sure I want to change them. I also like Mercedes '8 holes' in 16" with fully polished faces.

• 5 weeks later...

Couple of minor updates completed.

Single wiper (modified linkage to allow it to park further down the screen).

New genuine VW mats with fixings front and rear and black edging to make them more subtle.

I'll take some free pics at the weekend biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

If I can keep emma from wrapping up my xmas present we'll get that video sorted wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Arun

Modified plastic section under the scuttle panel sealing strip. Also modified the wiper linkage bracket to allow me to get more sweep angle to the passeneger side.

It would be very awkward to relocate the wiper to the exact centre as the bracket would require cutting, lengthening and rewelding which would be a pain. You also have to cut park of the bulkhead away and then bolt the linkage to the holes that would be used on a LHD set-up (the holes are there as its a symetrical bulkhead - you could swap to LHD wipers if you really wanted).