Will a Ford Puma 1.7 Engine Fit In A Lupo??

LupoRich1992

I have been asked if i want a ford puma 1.7 engine with 6 speed box n all, but i was wondering whether the engine will go in or are things such as steering columb in the way etc? Thanks. I also have a 1.8t audi engine i know with a few tweaks to mounts etc that they fit, but the 1.8t engine is in need of some serious work so would be better if this would work, thanks richard.

i will answer for you Richard... (being as some people are incapable of this!)

your best option mate, is to get advice from someone that is familiar with engine conversions. they would look at measurements for the engine mounts and size of the bay etc... as a guess i would say modification is required to the engine mounts to get this to fit. but i dont know as i havnt seen this done before.

Piers

shame nobody gave a decent answer to a decent question....

i think you will be better doing the audi engine as its been done before, and you would get more power out of it making it worth it :)

I didn't even know the Puma came with a six speed box. In fact I know it didn't (awaits hundreds of replies telling me I'm wrong).

Seems a lot of work to fit this to a Lupo for 125hp or even 150hp if you're luck enough to have been given a Racing Puma engine. If it'd been for a MK3 Fiesta and you had the loom and ECU for an analogue Puma, it'd be different.

Just put a MK5 Polo GTI engine in, some have done so already.

Edited by IDGM

i will answer for you Richard... (being as some people are incapable of this!)

your best option mate, is to get advice from someone that is familiar with engine conversions. they would look at measurements for the engine mounts and size of the bay etc... as a guess i would say modification is required to the engine mounts to get this to fit. but i dont know as i havnt seen this done before.

Piers

shame nobody gave a decent answer to a decent question....

Thanks for the great response!! i have looked at where the engine is mounted in comparison to my mounts and they do need adjustments, however friend is going to deal with that lol (alot of trust in him) maybe ill do what you have suggested and take down measurments etc and check it against the car

I didn't even know the Puma came with a six speed box. In fact I know it didn't.

Seems a lot of work to fit this to a Lupo for 125hp. If it'd been for a MK3 Fiesta and you had the loom and ECU for an analogue Puma, it'd be different.

Just put a MK5 Polo GTI engine in, some have done so already.

yeah i get the ecu loom etc, and to go from 50bhp to 125 is a big jump!! lol plus the sheer fun of doing something abit different...thanks for the advise

If it was me, i wouldnt even attempt to fit a non vag engine into it tbh.

In reality, you'd be better off buying a gti lump, which will put out similar power to the puma lump. It just wouldnt be worth the hassle. If, however, you had a B22 or a 3SGTE engine, maybe it'd be worth getting the shoe horn out!

Get out then. Noone wants you here.

Yes it will fit, but it will not be worth it, you'd be better off spending those thousands of pounds to get the 1.8 to fit because it will be more powerful and more tuneable.

Cheers, but the thing is the puma engine seems to be smaller in size, there for hopefully a simplier swap, less money, more uniqueness!! lol

Size has nothing to do with how easy a swap is, unless it's too big.

You're gonna need custom drive shafts, possible a wiring loom made from scratch as you will need the ford ecu to run the engine and will have to some how mate that to the lupos wiring.

Custom exhaust parts made up aswell.

Its not just a case of making up engine mounts and bolting the engine in.

Is this place getting more like Edition? You all need to chill out.

To the OP I can't help on the conversion but would love to see it done, would at least be different to the 1.8T, 1.6 Gti conversions that have been done.

Be different dude :)

Is this place getting more like Edition? You all need to chill out.

To the OP I can't help on the conversion but would love to see it done, would at least be different to the 1.8T, 1.6 Gti conversions that have been done.

Be different dude :)

100% right!!

there is too much involvement from people that have not got interest in the subject. in my opinion... if your answer isnt constructive to the actual question then it is not relevant. i personaly dont find this hard to follow...

this is probably the reason for my 'highly spoken about' attitude to 'change the world with such a small post count'... my post count is low because i dont post on every thread with a stupid comment that is nothing to do with the questions being asked... call me old fashioned but i thought answering a question meant having an answer that made sense....

Thanks for the great response!! i have looked at where the engine is mounted in comparison to my mounts and they do need adjustments, however friend is going to deal with that lol (alot of trust in him) maybe ill do what you have suggested and take down measurments etc and check it against the car

your more than welcome mate... i apologize that another of my (appropriate) rants has taken place on your thread.

i hope you eventually got the answers you were looking for, despite numerous FAILED attempts by other's to belittle you and appear superior to you over the internet. they seem to do this on a regular basis...

Its all good and well saying " you go son, be different" but 99% of the time if someone has to ask if a random engine will fit with no obvous technical enquires regarding the matter then they dont have the plums or the cells to be able to go through with it and it will be on the Bay in a few months under the heading "unfinished project".

Thanks for the Faith!!

This

Your insurance company will love it when you ring them up after you have done this

I'd assume like many other people with engine conversions, it wouldn't be declared..

To the message at hand, I personally wouldnt even do anything outside of the VAG family... its just wrong lol.

Hitler would not be impressed.

I'd assume like many other people with engine conversions, it wouldn't be declared..

To the message at hand, I personally wouldnt even do anything outside of the VAG family... its just wrong lol.

Hitler would not be impressed.

Didnt you on a thread openly say that you havent declared any mods too.

Having owned a 1.7 Puma id be very careful the engines arnt fragile as such but if they have been abused or neglected you can spend hundreds or more putting them right. Since you dont know the history of the engine id take a pass on it.