Abarth 500....

rh203

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a MK1 Punto Sporting before the GTI for 3 years, not ONE problem. Had the loop a few months, gearbox leaked onto clutch as the seals failed so resulted in a new clutch, I have bubbles of rust coming through on my roof guttering & various other places - something I never encountered with my FIAT. Stat has packed in, remote locking packed in, spoiler brake light packed in all full of moss. All things my FIAT never did. BUT & big BUT I love the car, don't complain its just one if those things & my personal experience. I'd buy it all over again but still loved my little Punto.

ALL CARS HAVE THEIR FAULTS!

Fiat Abarth SS is firmly on my list of potential next cars .... but I'll still be keeping my loop!

My opinion about the standard GTI suspension is the same, sloppy, vague & like driving my jeep lol coilovers work miracles. But as said that's my opinion.

Edited by elliecjno1

Feck that, other than the dashboard, wheels and stripes whats different?

Id rather buy a normal abarth, take it SS and give them 5-6k and come back out with a 240bhp weapon!

Flappy paddle gearbox, more power, better exhaust, Sabelt seats as standard (£1200 option on the Abarth)

As well as the things you've listed and there's only a few hundred of them in the world!

Argh, it's not called an SS it's an Esseesse!!

I wonder if VW have thought about bring out an SS model :coffee: ?

Jaguar used to be known as SS (Swallow Sidecars) but changed their name after WWII - for obvious reasons.

Everybody with a Gti thinks so, the suspension feels like its made of jelly.

Its not peanuts at the age of 18.

French/italian cars arnt as bad as what people make out and German cars arnt quite as good as what people make out.

Fair enough, but if you could afford a GTi, surely £400 wasn't that much in the scheme of things?

German cars are far from perfect but I've had seven years of trouble-free VAG motoring (three different cars - probably shouldn't have said that as I'll be tempting fate). I'd rather trust German or German-backed engineering and build quality.

Time will tell, but lets see how today's Fiats look in comparison to today's VWs in ten years time.

You cant go to a fiat dealer and buy a 500 abarth. Abarth are completley seperate.

You can buy them from a fiat dealership, they just have to be registered with Abarth. The one on the Silverlink in newcastle is approved and has quite a few 500 Abarth's in stock.

Fair enough, but if you could afford a GTi, surely £400 wasn't that much in the scheme of things?

German cars are far from perfect but I've had seven years of trouble-free VAG motoring (three different cars - probably shouldn't have said that as I'll be tempting fate). I'd rather trust German or German-backed engineering and build quality.

Time will tell, but lets see how today's Fiats look in comparison to today's VWs in ten years time.

At 18, what are running costs? you never take things like that into account.

Thats a fair point, my money would always be put on a german car lasting longer than french/italian

True, but your normal fiat dealer have nothing to do with them at all.

This is true, Claire's mum has to take hers to Poole to get serviced at the Abarth dealership as the Fiat dealership in Salisbury won't touch it with a barge pole.

They have tried to disassociate the Abarth badge with Fiat quite a lot!!

i've not read the whole topic but I love them the closest new car to a gti imo but the price of new cars to me is too much it'd have to be very very special or i'd have to be too rich to care to get myself into the depreciation of it. Besides is it not just a step sideways from a gti

Calm Down, Calm Down....both cars have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and are both unique imo

Looking at price....the Abarth seems to be double what you could pick up a mint Loop GTi for so they're hardly comparable in that sense

If you've got the bucks go for the Abarth, if you havne't then the Loop GTi, is as we all know, a top quality motor!

Calm Down, Calm Down....both cars have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and are both unique imo

Looking at price....the Abarth seems to be double what you could pick up a mint Loop GTi for so they're hardly comparable in that sense

If you've got the bucks go for the Abarth, if you havne't then the Loop GTi, is as we all know, a top quality motor!

But an Abarth isn't 6 years old... You can't make any comparison between prices when one is effectively brand new and one is 6 years old at the newest.