Underage drink driving?

Newnesie

Hi guys,

Basically this is a really weird thought that crossed my mind earlier and wondered if anyone could shed some light.

Right, I know it is legal for 16 year olds to have an alcoholic beverage with a meal at a restaurant. Say this is one drink because I don't know the legal allotments. If I was to do this (not condoling drink driving and never will) but being 17 and passed my test went on to drive and got pulled over, if they smelt alcohol on my breath and breathalised me and it came in under the limit, what would the police do??? Would anything happen for underage drinking, but it wouldnt have been when i drunk :S

Again this was a random thing I thought of and nothing like this happened to me, I just wanted your guys opinions on what they would do if this happened!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had the drink with a meal then there's no issue in regards to under-age drinking.

If you're over the limit then you'll most probably be banned/heavily fined in your first year of driving.

sum1 told me once that u couldnt have any alcohol in your system at all for either first year or first 2 years? not sure if its right, but im past that point now anyway. May well have been sumthing i heard from my parents lol

You can drink legally in your own home, so they couldn't do you for it unless you are over the limit.

Not sure about the alcohol\blood level for new drivers.

Not sure about the alcohol\blood level for new drivers.

Its the same for any person.

Depending on how they test you its:

80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood

35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100ml of breath

107mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine

Punishment depends on the judge, and its those who will consider age/circumstance etc. before sentencing.

But you can get:

up to 6 months in prison

a fine of up to £5000

a minimum of 12 months' disqualification (3 years minimum for further drinkdrive convictions!)

Although doing this and killing everyone in your car is probably worse punishment.

3-11-04.jpg

Nock, its a ban irregardless of anything, if your drink driving, your banned.

If I have half a pint of shandy before I get in my car and get breathalysed, I will be found to have alcohol in my system but I will not be banned as I'd be nowhere near the limit.

Not that I do, I've actually never driven a car with any alcohol in my system.

i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how old you are...myself and my friends have been breathalised before and they didnt ask how old we were before doing it lol

I brought age into it because for the first 2 years of driving you are only 'allowed' 6 points as opposed to the normal 12.

Edit: I wrote one year when I should have written two because I'm an idiot.

Edited by NOCK

I thort it was 2 years?!

I thort u were on a 2 year probationary period and u only had 6 life lines then it's a re-test I cud be wrong mind

For the first two years, if you get 6 points you lose your licence and have to retake(I just got mine back in November)But drink driving doesnt really incurr points

how many units of drink is it to be over the limit?

ive heard 1, 2 and 2.3 :confused:

Only safe way to judge is to drink none.

There was an interesting documentary on last year where they tested a bunch of users on a test track after being given alcohol.

Some were showing over the limit after 1 drink. Shocking thing was a woman had about 12 units (wine and spirits) and was still showing under the legal limit, even though she admitted she was pissed and wouldn't have driven.

I only drink drive if I'm too pissed to know whats going on.

That is the reason a drink drive conviction isn't the end of the world regarding insurance - your ability to make an informed decision before driving is impaired.

I'm 90% the age thing doesn't matter.

I went out, had one pint and was pulled on my motorbike, wasn't over, never battered an eyelid about me being 16.

For the first two years, if you get 6 points you lose your licence and have to retake(I just got mine back in November)But drink driving doesnt really incurr points

Why'd you get banned if you don't mind me asking? :confused:

I only drink drive if I'm too pissed to know whats going on.

shouldn't but.......LOL.