GTi vs Cooper S

rh203

Hi all,

Ages since my last post but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a comparison between a lupo and cooper s as I drive a GTi at the moment but m potentially wanting to get my hands on a cooper s once I graduate next year and start back at work.

I've driven both but only quickly driven a cooper s and I think I'd say the following:

Cooper s feels more sturdy and appears to handle a bit nicer with a slightly firmer ride and less roll.

Cooper s seems to have a slightly nicer interior (only my opinion) and comes normally with a bit more kit.

Supercharger whine is addictive....

Ownership costs are probably higher for an S as well as not really providing any better fuel economy (if not worse)!

Used prices are still high

GTi is a much more unique car with alot less on the road and is still a headturner.

There's my start.

Anyone who has owned both or swithed from one to the other...what do you think?

Cheers, Ryan

Hi all,

Ages since my last post but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a comparison between a lupo and cooper s as I drive a GTi at the moment but m potentially wanting to get my hands on a cooper s once I graduate next year and start back at work.

I've driven both but only quickly driven a cooper s and I think I'd say the following:

Cooper s feels more sturdy and appears to handle a bit nicer with a slightly firmer ride and less roll.

Cooper s seems to have a slightly nicer interior (only my opinion) and comes normally with a bit more kit.

Supercharger whine is addictive....

Ownership costs are probably higher for an S as well as not really providing any better fuel economy (if not worse)!

Used prices are still high

GTi is a much more unique car with alot less on the road and is still a headturner.

There's my start.

Anyone who has owned both or swithed from one to the other...what do you think?

Cheers, Ryan

Think you have answered most of points yourself.

Came close about 3 years back driven a few Cooper S in my time.

My friends have had 3 one of which was JC Cooper Worx was a dealers spec edt new shape over 200 bhp think it was doing 215 JCT 600 own demo model (insasne) but that was at limit for chassis really.

They eat fuel alive the Mk1 Cooper S, very prone to front suspension problems & parts are costly as in effect it is a BMW far from Mini prices trim parts are cheap mechanical parts not.

As you say ride is frim handling is great though like a go kart

Personally, don't agree with trim level it aint that great in a Cooper S Mk1

tyres are expensive as run flat pirellis also as you say fairly anonymous & every estate agent uner the sun had one & far to common

Supercharger whine addictive ? fit a BMC properly & thats more addictive than crack !

end of the day your money your choice

I don't think they are worth the money & would look elsewhere or keep Lupo.

The lupo is more unique

Edited by leweylupo

Think you have answered most of points yourself.

Came close about 3 years back driven a few Cooper S in my time.

My friends have had 3 one of which was JC Cooper Worx was a dealers spec edt new shape over 200 bhp think it was doing 215 JCT 600 own demo model (insasne) but that was at limit for chassis really.

They eat fuel alive the Mk1 Cooper S, very prone to front suspension problems & parts are costly as in effect it is a BMW far from Mini prices trim parts are cheap mechanical parts not.

As you say ride is frim handling is great though like a go kart

Personally, don't agree with trim level it aint that great in a Cooper S Mk1

tyres are expensive as run flat pirellis also as you say fairly anonymous & every estate agent uner the sun had one & far to common

Supercharger whine addictive ? fit a BMC properly & thats more addictive than crack !

end of the day your money your choice

I don't think they are worth the money & would look elsewhere or keep Lupo.

The lupo is more unique

Thanks for the input...how about a mk2 cooper s? anyone owned one?

Thanks for the input...how about a mk2 cooper s? anyone owned one?

well Mk2 believe it or not is a completley different beast nothing on them is interchangable might look the same but dont be fooled, it's not a facelift model its a totally different car

engine totally different beast as opposed to that chrysler engine they slung in far more mpg & more grunt lower emissions cheaper tax

even new cooper is not far off old mk1 cooper S which is why prices on Mk1 cooper s altho might ask high when selling never get usually overpriced the Mk1 until reality hits.

But as before doesn't look radically different enuff joe bloggs cant tell difference so still part of a huge herd

friend sold his JCW worx the Mk2 215 bhp as had owned 2 cooper s before that out of pure boredom all his cooper S were top draw well tuned high spec models he drives an audi TT Mk2 now i have a TT as well he has 2.0 DSG after having driven my 3.2 dsg won't go back to Mini land loves his TT lot more car for the money & reckons far better than the MINi top of the range model he had.

If it were me & you have enough funds for a Mk2 cooper S I would be looking at a Golf Mk5 Gti plenty of power & a bargain now 200 bhp at standard easily remapped via aweseome Gti

Or for the money try & bag a Mk5 Edition 30 if you can 230 bhp & get re-mapped a mate of mine has one with oettinger remap owned from new Candy white real nice piece of kit oddly enough he had a Mk1 Cooper S when they first came out as well.

Another friend had a cooper s sold it & bought a Porsche 944S2 going retro & prefers that.

Thinking about it I know quite a few folk that have owned them now as well as the Cooper as well, all were well spec'd but all of them soon tired & sold them.

They sold their's easily as all very unique but would think if a standard car would be hard to shift as plenty around colour is important to liquid yellow is especially hard to shift as is british racing green don't mind the green but that info came from a Mini specilaist that we know & have had plenty of dealing with via perfoermance parts/upgrades

Still if you like it its not for me to dictate to you buy one try it you might not like it you might love it sometimes its an itch you got to scratch at least you are still buying a quality product.

Edited by leweylupo

friend sold his JCW worx the Mk2 215 bhp as had owned 2 cooper s before that out of pure boredom all his cooper S were top draw well tuned high spec models he drives an audi TT Mk2 now i have a TT as well he has 2.0 DSG after having driven my 3.2 dsg won't go back to Mini land loves his TT lot more car for the money & reckons far better than the MINi top of the range model he had.

I don't mind the new TT's but probably a bit pricey to buy, insurance (22 year old with 4 yr no claims) and fuel and tax and I'm not really sure if they look anything special on the road to be honest (no offence meant :rolleyes: ) just see alot of them about. I'm sure I would be proven wrong if I could drive one so may have a go if insurance isnt too mad. I knew about the R56 cooper s being completely different but I've wanted a mini since I had an original one as my first car so like you say...may have to scratch that itch first :angry: .

Thanks for your input.

They're not bad to be fair. Although how people can say the interior is nice is beyond me, all minis have the cheapest looking, plasticky interior iv ever seen on such a modern car!

Is it the Mk2 Mini's that have the **** engines?

Phase 1 had the supercharged one, nice noises but poor mpg, ph2 got the joint BMW/PSA 1.6 turbocharged unit, which got engine of the year IIRC

mini's = midland gearbox's fail, gertrag 6 sp fail/chrysler engine's fail/peugeot hdi diesel engine's,hmm fail. some i like most i don't, i like the mustard one's most.

google bmw mini gearbox, youtube bmw mini engine knock they have cylinder head issues.

your paying for a badge not a bmw.

Edited by Mitchell

Phase 1 had the supercharged one, nice noises but poor mpg, ph2 got the joint BMW/PSA 1.6 turbocharged unit, which got engine of the year IIRC

I'm sure the turbo one has big issues with oil usage and blown crankshaft seals, sump gaskets and the like because of piston blow by. one of them does anyway. I believe they are hard to work on too, clutches are a huge task.

Don't like the styling myself, but good spec.

I don't mind the new TT's but probably a bit pricey to buy, insurance (22 year old with 4 yr no claims) and fuel and tax and I'm not really sure if they look anything special on the road to be honest (no offence meant :rolleyes: ) just see alot of them about. I'm sure I would be proven wrong if I could drive one so may have a go if insurance isnt too mad. I knew about the R56 cooper s being completely different but I've wanted a mini since I had an original one as my first car so like you say...may have to scratch that itch first :angry: .

Thanks for your input.

Yep just following up as read a few other comments clutchs are prone to going, a lot of people think they are hard to do but when done a few not to bad to do in the right hands.

Thing is shouldnt go & are another weak point of the mini, also mates cylinder head on cooper s went wont get any change out of £1k for a head.

None taken about TT mines the Mk1 same as the press release car in Misano Red with BBS splits (quite a rare spec) gets more attention than mates Mk2.

Audi were never going to dramatically deviate when on to a winning package with the TT when launched Mk2 TT but some dull colours around & as you say plenty of em, but you cannot ignore it when it returns over 40 mpg & is a split second or two behind the standard 3.2 dsg for performance thats just the 2.0 the dsg box is a tremendous piece of kit & would be exc in a Mk5 as dsg are quicker than manual.

That said you haven't a prayer of getting insured on one at that age.

Knowing what you have said now i'd go for a Mini Cooper Mk2 well spec'd try it see if you like it if you do go for a cooper s as easy to live with a cooper easy to sell good mpg & performance & cheap tax now as emissions in new engines are a lot lower than Mk1 Mini, you know all the downsides but if u listen to other folk you'll never do anything for yourself, folk on here are going to sing Lupo Gti praises all day it isn't called club lupo for nothing & if you put the reverse question on a mini forum bout a Lupo gti sure they would find all the weak points there bout a lupo gti.

The choice is yours. :)

Edited by leweylupo

• 1 year later...

I've had a copper s, and tbh having not yet owned a lupo gti until Saturday. In my opinion I wouldn't waste your money however the whine is addictive and easy power can be had smaller pulley etc I had nothing but problems with mine :( the bc1 unit went as a seal on the a-pillar failed causing water to be let in :( the mpg was horrendous whether driven like a granny or through the rev range....low 20s. The gearboxes aren't very strong at all. Can be made to look nice though take a look on mini torque, good bunch of lads and welcoming tbh but you will everything you wish to know on there.

I actually done my lessons in a Mini S lol. Was bloody rapid.... My instructor turned many a blind eye, and also enjoyed the long back road home lol.

Never had it past 100mph though, so yeah.. Soz.

Obviously my experience isn't exactly a "lived with" one though..

The week I passed my test was the week he got rid of it, some numpty learner blew a seal or something again n he was tired of replacing it, so ended up getting a brand new A1 :surprise:

Buy a proper mini with a well sorted 1380 and straight cut gears. Now that sound is addictive! Youtube classic mini and listen to the 7 port about 6 videos down. It's my video and my mate's car. No big shiny wheels and German plastic to be seen there! :)

I did sit in a mk1 Bini (as us classic Mini enthusiasts like to call it) after I sold my lupo and can't exactly say I liked it. Didn't like the interiors cramped feel. Don't think the difference in windscreen heights between the lupo's panoramic pane to the Bini's letter box helped the feel.

Edited by mini-man-dan

^what he said. You can't call a BMW half series a Mini, they're huge, clubmans ridiculously so. I will concede however that the Cooper is at least a real Cooper ;)

On a side note, I'd quite like to take a Seat Leon to John Cooper Works for some tuning, then I'd have a Leon Cooper - my name - screw your personalised no. plates I'd have a personalised car haha

Buy a proper mini with a well sorted 1380 and straight cut gears. Now that sound is addictive! Youtube classic mini and listen to the 7 port about 6 videos down. It's my video and my mate's car. No big shiny wheels and German plastic to be seen there! :)

I did sit in a mk1 Bini (as us classic Mini enthusiasts like to call it)

This is why I hate classic Mini's, and classic Mini owners.

Purely would love a Clubman to get all the dirty looks off the classic Sh*tini (thats what us Non-Classic Mini owners call them) owners.

I actually done my lessons in a Mini S lol. Was bloody rapid.... My instructor turned many a blind eye, and also enjoyed the long back road home lol.

Never had it past 100mph though, so yeah.. Soz.

Obviously my experience isn't exactly a "lived with" one though..

The week I passed my test was the week he got rid of it, some numpty learner blew a seal or something again n he was tired of replacing it, so ended up getting a brand new A1 :surprise:

Bet you felt like a boss.

What a stupid car for an instructor. Think of the fuel bill.

Yeah, that would be the crankshaft oil seal, very common issue with them due to **** engines giving massive piston blow by.

If he's letting you go for it with a cooper S, imagine how many people come out of it thinking they can drive and then stack their first cars.

Menace to society !

If he's letting you go for it with a cooper S, imagine how many people come out of it thinking they can drive and then stack their first cars.

Be a bit of a shock learning in a 170bhp car and then buying a non-turbo diesel 106 or something