How did this happen to my tyre?

ct-gti

I fitted my coilovers a few weeks back and have been driving around waiting for them to settle before having the camber adjusted. Anyway, i had a look at the tyres about 2 weeks after fitting them and this is what i was greeted by...

24086_337023356470_501666470_4131958_4248599_n.jpg

Now on my last car i had coilovers and never had the camber adjusted for over 6 months and there was minimal wear to the tyres. Those on my lupo hadn't even seen 1000 miles and were reduced to nothing in 2 weeks?! Is this due to the camber or is there another issue?

wtf :o what were you driving on? sandpaper? i need to get my camber sorted, and after a few weekes i had badly worn tyres at the front, but only on the inside edge!

What the hell lol what was they like before you put the coilover's on?

Before i fitted the coilys they had about 6-7mm tread.

wtf :o what were you driving on? sandpaper? i need to get my camber sorted, and after a few weekes i had badly worn tyres at the front, but only on the inside edge!

I wasn't even driving that much, just around town. I'm really confused aswel as i thought camber would just effect the inner edge.

I'd say they were well over inflated.

...and how diod they manage to get tlike that without you noticing. Even a precursery glance as you get in the car will show that sign of wear. Looks like a flat spot too from some heavy breaking.

Lucky the boys in blue didn't spot it before you did!

That looks like an over inflatted tyre, due to being thread bare in the centre

Are you sure? Both sides are the same, althought the driver side not quite as bad, the rears are fine.

I'd say they were well over inflated.

...and how diod they manage to get tlike that without you noticing. Even a precursery glance as you get in the car will show that sign of wear. Looks like a flat spot too from some heavy breaking.

Lucky the boys in blue didn't spot it before you did!

Yeah, lucky indeed. Well like i said it happened in about 2 weeks, i don't check/glance at my tyres every time i get into my car.

If over inflation caused an almost brand new tyre to do that in two weeks, I'll eat my hat. I doubt the flat spots were heavy braking either as the loop has ABS, this shouldn't happen.

Was there some kind of grinding/scraping noise as you drove along? All I can say is... what the hell?! :confused:

If over inflation caused an almost brand new tyre to do that in two weeks, I'll eat my hat. I doubt the flat spots were heavy braking either as the loop has ABS, this shouldn't happen.

Was there some kind of grinding/scraping noise as you drove along? All I can say is... what the hell?! :confused:

No there were no noises what so ever, and i have yet to drive the car 'hard' at all so there has been no heavy braking!!

Sorry forgot about the ABS, but the wheel needs to lock before ABS kicks in.

Heavy footedness and wheelspins?

...do you have locking wheel nuts? Has someone swapped them over in the night?

Sorry forgot about the ABS, but the wheel needs to lock before ABS kicks in.

Heavy footedness and wheelspins?

...do you have locking wheel nuts? Has someone swapped them over in the night?

LOL dude you're making me out to sound like some sort of boy racer! I've never done a wheelspin in the car and i haven't driven the car hard either, all i've used it for is driving to the beach and college.

I don't have locking nuts no, but the tyres are the same as i had before and the car has a clifford so i doubt this.

I drove an Arosa once that had just had GTI suspension fitted - the alignment was so far out that driving it resulted in tyre squeal as the fronts were driving slightly against each other. What's the other side like?

The other side has also worn down alot but not into the meshing like the one in the picture.

I drove an Arosa once that had just had GTI suspension fitted - the alignment was so far out that driving it resulted in tyre squeal as the fronts were driving slightly against each other.

I've had that too. Got some funny looks. Having the alignment so far out was so incredibly dangerous! It would have passed an MOT though because they don't test for it. Having a sidelight out is obviously even more dangerous...

As for the tyres - wow! The look like my push bike tyres after I used to spend all my time going down hills and pulling skids at the bottom! Amazing how its chewed through them so quickly.

And they definitely changed the tyres, right? Did you actually look at the tread when you got the new tyres, or just take their word for it?

I am struggling believe that has happened to a brand new tyre in just 2 weeks :blink:

in fairness matey i think u think yourself lucky u have spotted them so badly, things could of been alot worse for u or maybe someone inercent, so ide be happy your ok and your car is one peice, im no expert on the matter of these things, but i dint use to race rc cars and went through endless amounts of tyres, what i see there is really bad toe in/toe out ie tracking, and like the other guys have said over infalated tyres, to wear so fast in 2 weeks like that with u saying your a respecfull driver on our roads, i maybe wrong but rc cars have exackly the same mechanics, just smaller, is your steering very sharp and snappy or very slow,,,,,,,,,,,