the 'gti' in lupo gti

Tarrier

Time to bring out a little known fact: VW were developing the Lupo GTI as the Lupo RSI to follow in the same line as the Beetle RSI (hence the many differences over the standard model compared to other GTIs).

However, a pencil pusher noticed how much an RSI line would cost to produce and thought it was a bad idea. The RSI badged range was dropped like a hot potato just as the Lupo variant was hitting production - it therefore became the GTI (and a pretty unique one imo).

Some say that just before the change was made, the RSI was due to benefit from a 1.9 V4 Turbocharged lump. Instead VW put the 1.6 from the Polo GTI in, which was to hand and the obvious cost saving replacement choice.

Some say that just before the change was made, the RSI was due to benefit from a 1.9 V4 Turbocharged lump. Instead VW put the 1.6 from the Polo GTI in, which was to hand and the obvious cost saving replacement choice.

That'd have been wicked had they fitted it!

ok im pretty sure this has come up alot already but i dont know the answer so here goes.

what makes up the gti in my lupo gti is it all the little extras? have they tuned the engine in any way? its buggin me :)

tarrier.

thanks for any help in advance

If u have 2 ask ur drivin it wrong lol.

I have a source in the DVLA, he may be able to see how many GTIs are currently on the road. Will ask him asap.

That would be awesome, i wouldn't mind knowing how many there are left just so i can get an idea on my chances of owning one in the future lol.

also slightly wider wheel base i think. plus something must have been done to the engine cus other standard 1.6's dont sound half as nice. also the body works different with fully curved rear arches and nicer front end and tail bumper, nicer seats and interior including dope clocks, for me the halogen light housings being bigger than the indicator housings on the front of other loops makes a big difference in aesthetics.

In hindsight it's pretty clear that those are pre production GTI/RSIs. I'd love to know what was under the bonnet - unfortunately by the time we were at Wolfsburg (when we went a few years back) they'd gone, although we were able to ask about the GTI's history. The OP of that thread, Blueloop, had been to Wolfsburg in previous years and seen those lupos - he took snaps but didn't realise the relevance at the time.