loosing the xenon's on a gti

My nearside xenon went on the blink last night and hasn't been great today. (sometimes wouldnt turn on when the switch was turned.) anyway upon finding the cost of new bulb and a transformer unit i began to wander whether the xenons were actually worth it........

How easy is it to convert a gti to standard lupo lights, can save a bit of wieght then by loosing the headlight washers too and theyre less risky of getting damaged on a trackday and i could go for the cup car look and get a ram air feed sorted nicely. does the wiring loom need changing or are they a straight swap?

lastly does anyone know what these nylon adjustment gears are? i'm assuming range control but want a second opinion before i start fiddling with things?

engine003.jpg

They brake very easily so be careful.

The correct way to adjust those lights is by going tin to vagcom, and putting the headlight in to learning mode, then adjusting the light using the white bit. Then going back to vagcom and telling it that the position you have just put it in is the datum for adjustment.

Its all gay and long winded.

Im not sure, but isnt the cup cat a sort of inbred between the gti and sport??

John

They brake very easily so be careful.

The correct way to adjust those lights is by going tin to vagcom, and putting the headlight in to learning mode, then adjusting the light using the white bit. Then going back to vagcom and telling it that the position you have just put it in is the datum for adjustment.

Yeah, I wouldn't take the risk of adjusting them without vagcom.

eh? a 1.4 surely not.........a sport with a gti body? the BTC was a 1600 though and that had standard headlights. i'll be gentle with the adjuster today then, try and get a little bit more range after lowering makes you loose some lol

right then i know changing the lights can be done but i'm hoping i wont have to change wiring in th process, if only you didnt have to take the bumper off to do so.

The VAG-COM part willl center the headlighs, but the alignment(bit thats checked on a MOT) is adjusted via the two nylon screws.... One of mine is busted!

In theory, the range control should be reset when the car is lowered, as the self leveling will not be centered.

Edit:: All is explained here....

VAG-COM link.

Edited by 99hjhm

Can i have first DIBS on the gti lamps if you come to get rid mate.

I turn the roundabout on the way home and what do i recognise in my mirrors..... a red lupo with a black bonnet lol. i need to get out more!

sorry i wasnt very talkative mate i was shattered, after being dragged through 3hrs of harry snotter with the GF. Anyway if i lost the xenons i'd still have to keep hold of them i'm affraid. beacuse of the price i wouldnt fancy having to buy another set at a later date.

theres only one way to find out though buy a headlight from a standard lupo plug it in and see if it works!!

Its all good pall, i cant stand harry potter either lol, just minutes after i saw you i seen another black gti in the shell garage, i told him to get his arse on club lupo :).

Oh and its not black its carbon :ph34r:

I've seen another black gti around here too but i know he's not on the forum, last time i saw him he had in my opinion rather ugly cheap 'bling' (dunno what that means) wheels on it lol.

and i correct myself carbon yes.....very nice!!!

as for the cup car i supose they lost the ali panels for the sake of cost, same would go for the Xenons then i supose. ok then i'm going for the BTC look. time to get some standard lights

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the standard Lupo headlights on a GTi, the wiring would be quite different due to the location of bulbs etc used. The sidelight on the GTI is not part of the main unit, where it is with the normal Lupo and the same again for the idicatiors.

Main beam is alo not part of the main headlight on the GTI where it is on the normal Lupo...............a lot of rewiring and harness extending to get it all to work as it should. Please correct me if I am wrong as not too hot on the Non GTI headlights.

GTI Main unit

Dipped beam (xenon)

Indicator (seperated off)

GTI 2nd unit

Side Light

Main Beam

--------------------------------------------------

Normal Lupo Main unit

Side Light

Dipped Beam

Main Beam

Normal Lupo 2nd unit

Indicator

Edited by Mike_M

I'll be getting a workshop manual for the car and i i can get my hands on one main lamp i'll plug it in and see how it works. the indicator will be reloacted to sit in the bottom of the main lamp as plan 'A'. Yes wiring may have to be re-routed but that shouldnt be too difficult.

the inner lights will be removed anyway if i can otherwise the indcator wil just go in a modified inner light, plan 'B'. i know it wont be a 5 minute conversion but it should be straight forward if the wiring looms are the same.

Ok one of my xenons is shining high

who has vag com in the manchester area

or can anybody recommend a place to take my loop

i need to sort it before the dark nights roll in

You don't need VAG-COM, just look under the bonnet, on the headlamp there are 2 nylon adjuster screws, best do it on a beam alignment tool like the one at a MOT station.

Adjusters in mine are broken, and in my spare one :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Need help!!! i have most of the parts to convert the headlights bu i have been informed about a potential problem with the GTi's wiring loom. as it runs Xenon's it has a transformer in the headlight which steps up the voltage, but what about the current..........the Xenon bulbs use a 35w current and a standard lights are something like twice that so would a standard bulb still work well on a lower current?

And for the electronics expert out there what would be best with wiring if there is any doubt over the rating of the wires is it best to put slightly larger wires in the new bridging loom (an intermediary loom where the wires will be re-directed to the correct points and location).

please help.

Thanks

Edited by Toi gulp

• 4 months later...

i replaced the nearside bulb and it was fine for a whilke but now its playing up again and this time round both headlights are occasionally going out...needless to say this is dangerous so need to pick up on the conversion,

does anyone have any recomendations on the current flow difference between the two lights?

thanks

Andy