Dying Seatbelts....

Gazzard

Hey all, i want red seatbelts like the GTI ones but thought i mayaswell have a go at trying to die them, can this be done?

Could someone post me a link to the right dye and also explain the best way to do this?

Cheers :)

I'd suggest the best way would be to buy a set of GTI seatbelts.

Just like hair, its difficult to dye something dark to something lighter - at a guess you'd have to bleach them first (if that is even possible) and then dye them red.

The dye is also quite likely to transfer to clothing, much like a pair of dark jeans transfer colour when they're new.

So, basically, get some GTI ones if you really want red seatbelts.

Not to mention that dying them could possibly somehow weaken the fabric...

:lol: Dude, I take it you didn't pay attention in chemistry? ;)

But as Nicki says, you'll never turn black into red.

Its like dying your Ginger hair brown.

You'll still have orange pubes.

Chemisty lessons weren't for learning at my school...

More setting fire to the gas taps, melting pens, pencil cases, anything else that would melt. Other hobbies in chemistry included turning on the sink while the cover was still on and blowing stuff up!!

We had a teacher who enjoyed pouring flammable liquids on your desk while you were happily working and then setting fire to them, do you really think it was a good learning environment!?

:lol:

I'd suggest the best way would be to buy a set of GTI seatbelts.

Just like hair, its difficult to dye something dark to something lighter - at a guess you'd have to bleach them first (if that is even possible) and then dye them red.

The dye is also quite likely to transfer to clothing, much like a pair of dark jeans transfer colour when they're new.

So, basically, get some GTI ones if you really want red seatbelts.

Like i said i mayaswell have ago at doing it rather than spending over £100 on GTI ones lol

i get my car back this week woot (since 14th december :@) i cancelled insurance, so its gonna be sat outside while i get the money for my deposit as my insurance is £2500 :(

so i mayaswell experiment, try some things, see if its possible :)

Pmsl at dying black seat belts red.

Spend your time searching scrap yards for some cheap ones, it will be better spent

Errrrr... your car is going to be sat outside your house with no insurance?

You do realise that if someone steals your car off your driveway, you're completely 100% out of pocket, don't you? :blink:

Yup, got any other suggestions? lol

Spend your time searching scrap yards for some cheap ones, it will be better spent

i know i know, but its worth a try, could bleach them first like niki said, if its possible, then dye them? ;)

They will just end up pink

and enquire about lay up insurance if your not going to be driving

Edited by scotty_82

Errrrr... your car is going to be sat outside your house with no insurance?

You do realise that if someone steals your car off your driveway, you're completely 100% out of pocket, don't you? :blink:

My Polo sat for over a year.

My Renualt for 4years.

My Lupo five in May.

All without insurance :huh:

Good luck finding a set of gti seat belts! They also came on 99-02 ibiza cupra r models. But apparently only 75 were brought into the country so even more good luck on that one.

If they're in the driveway then it's not a problem (as long as it's not sloped where there's potential for a handbrake cable snapping). If you're car's parked outside on the road, then all it takes is for plod to pass by and notice, and it'll be on the back of a low loader before you can say "oxo cube".

Not much else i can do lol just have to hope for the best :P

Again, enquire about lay up insurance

declare your car sorn if its going to be parked up, then you wont get any snotty letters. I think that its going to be a pain to try to dye the belts as you will have to take everything apart in order to do so. Have a look and see if there are any breakers that have gti's in. Or even look on ebay