How much is your license worth?

Putney

License or Your Time 10 Hours for every point.  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just an idea.

10 Hours for evey point... So 3 points you would owe 30 hours!

Edited by Putney

I'd do the Community Service, no points on license - Cheaper insurance

If community service were an option, I'm sure you'd have to tell the insurance company about it regardless.

This would never happen anyway as the green welly brigade would be up in arms - 'unsafe' drivers need to be banned according to them.

If community service were an option, I'm sure you'd have to tell the insurance company about it regardless.

This would never happen anyway as the green welly brigade would be up in arms - 'unsafe' drivers need to be banned according to them.

well you don't have to tell them about the speed awareness course which can get you out of points... i think the greenies would be a lot happier with picking up rubbish with a yellow jacket on!

Edited by Putney

10 hours per point might be a little steep given the fact that 'proper' criminals don't get much more time, but the idea is sound.

If your licence is free from endorsements then there shouldn't be a problem with insurers. Do you need to tell them if you have avoided points by going on a speed awareness course (much the same as community service)? There is still a financial penalty, and are still guilty of the summary offence, but do people admit to it and do the Police authority inform DVLA that you have been on one?

I lurve Community service.

I got 120 hours for fighting a few years back, did some really cool jobs :lol:

LOL! ha ha ha.. So Tigz do you have a criminal record? thats not good my friend... Nothing to be proud of anyway!

Ok I reduce it to 8 hours then. You don't have to tell the insurance company about the speed awareness course so your insurance is not effected... I have a clean license at the moment but waiting on 3 points from a loan car I had. :( I was just thinking... I would happily pay a fine and do community service to keep my license clean.. If you take into account lost earnings from doing the community service its a lot of money and far less than I would pay if I just added it to my insurance policy. However I would still do it.

It's interesting to see how many people are willing to give up 30 hours of their time for 3 points.. especially those with a clean license.

I am sure if people had 6-9 points already on their license then they wouldn't mind the 10 hours... I don't think 10 hours is that harsh TBH.. Especially if you consider that you could easily kill someone with a car... My shoulder still hurts from my bike accident which was a result of careless driving... It would be nice to think that they were sent out in their own time to pick up rubbish due to their careless driving.. I would hope they would think about what they have done while they are doing it too.... I bet she has almost forgotten about the crash last year! my shoulder reminds me everyday!

Edited by Putney

LOL! ha ha ha.. So Tigz do you have a criminal record? thats not good my friend... Nothing to be proud of anyway!

I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed of how I was when I was a tennager!

But anyway back on subject, I think you've hit on a good suggestion, community service is a pain n the arse, when you lose your weekend for a few weeks Im sure its worse than a few points and a fine.

I've got a clean licence, so I'd take the points rather than 30, or even 24 hours community service.

Mind you, I'd take community service everytime if my licence depended on it. Until December 2010, I can only get 6 points or my license is gone, since I only passed last month!

30 hours is almost a weeks earnings for most people so a few hundred pounds at least, 3 points would only add £50 or so if that to my insurance so i'd take the points thanks. Different if you alreay had 6 points or were facing a ban.

Guest Lauryn

I have 3 points on my license, and I havent been driving for 2 years until August, so if I got caught speeding/red light etc etc (which is highly unlikely as I am the most careful driver ever atm, far too scared of losing my license), then I would do near enough anything (within reason!) to avoid the points, as that would be a big wave bye bye to my license, and I would be totally gutted if I lost it

Well I think I shall have 3 points very shortly so I would have the community service.

Thats only because you are not used to manual labour :P

Damn right, and I have no desire to become used to it, either! :D

Must say I'm very surprised how many people would do 30+ hours of a crappy job rather than pay a few quid though. Can understand it for those on 9 points, but I'd much rather pay my way out of trouble :)

Edited by Snoopy

think of the other people you'd have to work allong side... few hundred fine and a slightly increased premium ta :D

I think there would be so many people doing community service that the streets and parks would be spotless! Results on this forum might be biased due to many younger forum members. Be interesting on a bigger site such as piston heads to compare results. Someone post it on there for me! I'm on a poxy iPhone!

Im not sure. When I was in my probationary period and had 3 points I would have done the community service, but now that ive got the full 12 point limit im not so sure.

Probably pay to be honest, and thats from a lowly student! :lol: