Youre opinions

Bazzza

Ok so i definitely no im having a lupo its just which one, it will be my first car and im choosing between a 1.4 s or the sport.

Looking around the net it seems that everybody is keeping hold of there sports as i haven't seen many for sale and when i have they have been out of my price range im looking to spend 1500-2000 max.

What would you do?

Opinions would be very helpful, and some good/bad points on both cars

O and what mods would take the s up to or around 100bhp ?

Bazz

Edited by Bazzza

For that kind of money, Id look for a 1.4s, if you do find a sport for that money, Id suspect that there would be something wrong with it.

If you want 100hp, then you want to be spending a bit more. If you want a Lupo right now, get a 1.4s.

Ps "Your" not "You are"

I'd look for the best example Lupo you can find for that money. As in if the Sports you're looking at are a bit shonky then stick with findind a Lupo S instead.

As a first car the S would be cheaper to insure, I'd imagine a decent exhaust system, manifold and induction would give you a few bhp more.

How old are you? If your young then a lot of insurers won't insure young people on sporty cars. Might be worth ringing up a few companies to get quotes before you buy the car. Nothing worst than finding the right car then not being able to insure it!

Sports are quite a-lot faster than the s, but a bit more expensive both to run and insure, and do seem to be prone to a few reliability issues. The search button top right should tell you all you need to know. :shades:

Heartagram - Well im 19 i have done a couple of quotes ranging between 1186-2400 for the 1.4 s and 1343-2800 for the sport.

Simpo - Hmmm yeah ive read about the sports reliability, i have been doing reviews of both for a couple of months, if i find a decent sport for under 2500 then i will more than likely spend the extra money but finding a good example for that much will be difficult :(

Personally I'd say for the extra £200 insurance, if you can afford a Sport then go for one. Around town I don't find theres to much between S and Sports but once you get onto a bit of open road the Sport feels much quicker.

As a first car the S would be cheaper to insure, I'd imagine a decent exhaust system, manifold and induction would give you a few bhp more.

When my 1.0 was new the wife was 19.

It cost £60 less to insure than a GTI when we declaired the coilovers and exhaust.

Standard Sport would cost less to insure than a modified 75hp.

Buy a 1.4S 75PS. Buy a panel filter, get it remapped at Awesome Tuning and you should have near 90BHP.

Nuff said if you can't afford the Sport.

OR buy a TDI 75PS and get it remapped 100PS+ and superior MPG

Maybe with a new exhaust too. But then youve got to phone your insurance company and tell them that you've got an extra 15hp, by which time it would be cheaper to buy a sport. And you'd have all the extras of a sport, fogs, rear discs etc etc etc.

If I was to do it again, I know Id wait a bit longer for the perfect sport to come along.

Maybe with a new exhaust too. But then youve got to phone your insurance company and tell them that you've got an extra 15hp, by which time it would be cheaper to buy a sport. And you'd have all the extras of a sport, fogs, rear discs etc etc etc.

If I was to do it again, I know Id wait a bit longer for the perfect sport to come along.

And how are they going to tell its 90bhp and not 75bhp? They aren't going to rolling road the car after its been written off or bring a mobile rolling road to check it out.

A panel filter would be the only mod to declare and shouldn't really cost anything. I really don't think a cat-back exhaust will do anything to improve the power...after all these cars have a pre-cat and the main cat. The only exhaust related component that would improve power would be an after market manifold and a de-cat.

I had an aftermarket exhaust and it done nothing. The restriction is in the catalytic converters.

Edited by Niche