Bored Rant

Gazza

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lupo tdi - small, uncomfortable, noisy, smelly, nose heavy, understeery, underpowered - all realative to other things - stick with my petrol beemer for now thanks :D

Small - Yes

Uncomfortable - No

Noisy - No

Smelly - Only if you're driving you sweaty b******

Nose heavy - The alu-block 3-cyl TDI engine weighs less than the Lupo GTI engine

Understeery - Nothing Springs and shocks don't fix

Underpowered - My remapped TDI actually had Chris (2001) struggling to keep up

End of the day - I'd love the opportunity to buy my lupo TDI back!

I'd definately have a SDi/TDi - oh so mappable ;)

Jack's red TDi kept up with a Lupo GTi a few nights back B) Just a shame he breaks it so much :P

SDI's are great for economy and run well on chip fat.

However, remapping them will only give you 6 or 7 bhp if that. Not a lot of power can be had from them really.

I know I am pushing in on this TDI love fest but I would say that apart from the acceleration, much of the TDI virtues are shared by the SDI plus it has a few advantages over the TDI.

Cheaper to buy

Cheaper to insure than a TDI

Same to tax

Same fuel economy

Larger engine (a 4pot, not a 3pot which requires a balance shaft, see next point)

Less complex (no turbo, intercooler or balancer shaft under the crank)

Very happy at 80mph (3000 rpm) on a motorway and not stressed at 90mph if you are in a hurry

Curiously, at 80mph, if you need or want to put your foot down, it will reach 90 fairly quickly because although the engine is at the end of its very flat torque curve, the power is still climbing. Its optimum cruising speed seems to be around 80mph, at which point its smoothness, available power and fuel consumption seem to come together nicely. Yes it’s more economical at 60mph but its dropping out of its not very extensive power band at that speed so any obstacle; hill, slower traffic etc. become a problem which I suspect would not trouble a TDI.

I imagine that in most respects the TDI is the more satisfying car, especially in terms of acceleration, torque and smoothness (the balancer shaft does work well apparently) however my little SDI is still more often in the outside lane than most other cars on the road.

You my friend are very courageous!

I was going to write something very similiar to that, but was having second thoughts as TDI owners hate SDI's!

Nicely laid out too ;)

Have any other TDi owners noticed their cars hate going slowly? Mine is unhappy at 60, its a little gruff and drinks the fuel much more than doing 75 where its so smooth and quiet. So i rarely go below 70-75 on motorways if i can help it, much prefers higher speed driving.

Diesel is gay :whistle:

33mpg in a 1.25 Fiesta is where it's at.

Yeah, because thats worth it ;):lol:

Know that is a man who loves his SDI, also a very well thought out comment

fair play mate all valid points

but still prefer me TDI :D each to there own i guess

Me too, i do like the SDis, for all the reasons stated. I can imagine id get better MPG from one too, as id drive it slower as thats what they are more about. I still remain, the TDi is the best all rounder in a norlmal lupo.

lupo tdi - small, uncomfortable, noisy, smelly, nose heavy, understeery, underpowered - all realative to other things - stick with my petrol beemer for now thanks :D

You have clearly never been in a TDi then :huh:

Small doesnt come into it, some people dont need a big car! How on earth you can say they are uncomfortable when you had a swift sport ive no idea! I could sit in my Arosas seats for a week without getting uncomfortable, and they are so hushed at motorway speed. Noisey, no, very quiet, especially when they are above 20mph. They are not smelly and i very rarely notice any smoke at all from the exhaust, very clean indeed. They understeer if provoked (all front wheel drives do!!), but they do depend heavily on tyres, you need decent branded ones to make it grip, but it does well imo. I very rarely have understeer issues in the dry, the tyres just squeel but it never steps out. Its a very light lump, thats what the 3pot engine if for! Not really underpowered, id say they are one of the quickest small diesel cars and it keeps up with traffic with ease, generally people dont buy a lupo for a fast car anyway, if they have then they either have the wrong car, a GTi or a TDi with a good remap.

:rolleyes: I think your jealous :lol:

Have any other TDi owners noticed their cars hate going slowly? Mine is unhappy at 60, its a little gruff and drinks the fuel much more than doing 75 where its so smooth and quiet. So i rarely go below 70-75 on motorways if i can help it, much prefers higher speed driving.

Our Ibiza has always been exactly the same. 50mph and it's fine, 90mph it's great, but 65-75mph is really tough to get the mpgs up. I'm sure there's a scientific reason for it, but hey, try telling the Police I was doing 90mph to save the planet!

And with regard to my petrol guzzling Fiesta, I am worth it. :lol:

Our Ibiza has always been exactly the same. 50mph and it's fine, 90mph it's great, but 65-75mph is really tough to get the mpgs up. I'm sure there's a scientific reason for it, but hey, try telling the Police I was doing 90mph to save the planet!

And with regard to my petrol guzzling Fiesta, I am worth it. :lol:

Yup, so i keep telling people ... i drive fast to save fuel! :lol:

Beats sticking to 60, getting less MPG and being bored senseless too ;)

Who said TDi owners hate SDi's? Thats not true, I've been in one and liked it. Plus you can take the restrictors out of the airbox for a bit more performance.

But like you say dougless, at 60mph the turbo has just come on full tilt and overtaking is a breeze :shades:

Diesel is gay :whistle:

33mpg in a 1.25 Fiesta is where it's at.

You should upgrade to a 2.0 ST. A lad at work has one and he gets 34mpg driving faster than you can go in a 1.25! Gas guzzling Fiesta FTW :lol:

All very impressive, but did you know, a standard TDi can also thrash a ....... new shape rav4 2.0 petrol :coffee: Impressive hey :lol:

Ah yes, and a Saxo VTR, albeit up a fairly steepish incline, i cant say id have had much of a chance on the level, but my torque won! Also up the same dual carrigeway stretch i just a say kept up with a mk7 1.9TDi polo, who was really giving it all, thankfully mine didnt make half the smoke that did :lol:

Dont you just love flying past people in their inferior cars in your little diesel hatchback :rolleyes:

TBH, ive lost count of the number of things ive passed in my TDi which id never thought it would, obviously while the other car has been really trying :coffee:

Makes me sound like a boy raver that :blush: im not though :P

Great little cars :)

Edited by cardaft

Yeah ive had a few people stop me and ask whats in it after the traffic light gran prix, when i tell them its a 1.4 thats only got 3 cylinders they have never heard of lol

as long as you keep it in the boost it very nippy cant wait till i get a remap :D

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, bouthgt my arosa because I had never seen a 1.4 TDI arosa before... love it :) changed the disappointing standard seats for the sport ones and i was away. Extremely impressive after the remap (cheers G-werks) and cant beat the economy and tax prices, one less headache for the year!

I did a 570 miles round trip to Brighton from Leeds and back for a measly ÂŁ55!! that was at 1.20 a litre!

Also 100+ BHP and 160 lb torque pretty impressive too from 6 valves :)

As for mechanically, although It sounds like a crazed sewing machine, it doesnt blow out any dirty smoke, it gets looks wherever it goes, and keeps me happy :)

at the moment Im trying to resist getting a bigger car like a Rado or something similar. With the current economy the tax and running costs are keeping me firmly planted for now....

Edited by MattTDI

I think every car I've owned has had a similar reaction from people.

They initially wonder why I bought it, then I explain why or demonstrated it and they then understand! lol

Clio 172 - 'its only a Clio' I used to get from my old boss. 'Yeah buts its quicker than your Audi TT'.......them, 'oh!' haha

Megane 225 - Attempted traffic light blast with a Jap owning, anti French FTO driving mate. Both put our foot down, left his car for dead and then 'hmmm thats quite quick'!! lol

Lupo - Smallest car at the rolling road day, same power to weight ration as the 3.0ltr Supra one of the guys owns!!!

The proof is in the pudding and I love cars that people underestimate. The Lupo is certainly one of those.

Its got loads of room, plenty of toys, decent good performance, economy etc. All round a great car. Let people scoff all they like haha.