My Green Lupo

cobblers

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately they aren't ready to go on the car yet - I just polished one wheel up and got 1 tyre fitted to make sure they would fit, and it confirmed my theory that I probably won't have the room to fit an adapter (FK make them at 15mm) so I'll have to drill the hubs. Not really a problem - 2002> polo 1.4 front disks are the same size and offset but 5 stud, and golf 5 stud rear disk brake setup bolts on, so only the front hubs will need drilling. I've got all the kit to drill it, just waiting on a template that I've had laser cut.

I'm going to put the wheel on again with 15mm of spacers to see how it sits, but I reckon it will foul the rear arch which is already rolled.

As for polishing the wheels, these were already polished under the laquer so I only had to give the a quick spruce (they could do with a few more hours on them actually)

Polishing from a rough alloy finish is a real nightmare, I've tried it before. It took me 5 hours to sand 1 centre cap to 1500 grit by hand which you need to do even before you start to polish. at that point I lost interest and just painted the bloody thing!

i really like this. like said i think there is a bit to much of a gap from the back bumper to the floor but you can always sort that out. looking good. get some more pics up

You say theres a big gap between the back bumper and the floor, and it does look big in the pics, but it's only 8mm more than with the 14s, and I'm running FK coilies with the rear adjusters taken out and a coil lopped off the springs! I've got about 40mm of rear suspension travel, if that!

I'm collecting the bits to convert it to air ride, I've got everything bar the bags now. Some people (me included) see it as a bit of a cop out, but it depends how you use it. Rather than to use it to drop the car to look good, I'm going to use it to raise the car to get up my drive!

plus aswell if you do redrill to the 5 stud. think of the endless wheels you could have,... hmmm then again it might not be a good idea doing it after all. lol

Do you live in bramley?

If so, i saw you the other day looks well

Cheers mate, thats me :)

I cleaned the bird **** off the car and here's a pic as she stands, with my tiny front plate which turned out a lot smaller than I imagined and looks **** imho (need to lose the recess) but it cost me £25 so im going to bloody run with it on for at least a week!

plate.jpg

The TT comps would be interesting

if you could get the bags on for maxi drop.

It is a lot of work to get them sitting right.. perhaps more effort than its worth ?

Will the final look be special enough to justify it all ?

Car has looked great in all variations so far though

The TT comps would be interesting

if you could get the bags on for maxi drop.

It is a lot of work to get them sitting right.. perhaps more effort than its worth ?

Will the final look be special enough to justify it all ?

Car has looked great in all variations so far though

Yes!

Get it done mate, would look amazing.

Cheers mate, thats me :)

I cleaned the bird **** off the car and here's a pic as she stands, with my tiny front plate which turned out a lot smaller than I imagined and looks **** imho (need to lose the recess) but it cost me £25 so im going to bloody run with it on for at least a week!

plate.jpg

I was stood on some lasses drive on your estate with a couple others when you drove past

I proper like the wheels youve got on it at the moment

After really thinking about a G40 engine I decided against it on fuel costs grounds. I remember my old 106 used to do 150 miles to £30 and it really wore me down. This is my daily, I'll get something else thats fast once I graduate and start earning. Probably build myself a MK Indy kit car.

I was browsing on ebay and found a 1.4 16v BXW engine out of a new Seat Ibiza Sport. A quick check of my mates Ibiza sport confirmed that the engines looked about the same fundamentally, so I did a buy it now on the engine (16k miles :))

9b7e_1.JPG

Now the BXW has 84bhp, which might prove a problem because I'm going to run it on my existing 75bhp ECU. Whatever the case, I intend to bolt it in retaining whichever ancillaries make the job easier (I predict that I'll use most of my stuff bar the individual coilpacks on that engine) and see how it goes. If it runs like a crock of ****e, I'll take things from there - Possibly fit a Megasquirt ECU like I did on my old 106, but get someone who knows what they are doing to map it this time (rather than spend two months making a mess of it myself!)

I reckon it will be ok from my past experience of running engines with the wrong ECU, granted this is just a few 1.4 106 XSis with 1.6 Saxo engines in. Same capacity with slightly different cams probably won't be too bad.

Edited by cobblers

Oh, and I'm going to get a set of bags on payday, but I'm not confident there will be space to fit them along with the 17s on the front. I think the wheel will rub the bag, but if I roll the front arches and fit a 15mm adapter and knock a bit of camber off I might get away with it.

I'm in no hurry for the wheels on or the bags on - I need the engine in and done before MOT time in August

Picked the engine up last night, it's an alloy block one so night and light :) Aren't the Sport blocks steel?

Being a 16k engine I was hoping to be able to used the clutch off it and save myself £80, but for some reason VW decided that 24 splines was enough for a lupo, but changed this to 28 splines on the Ibiza. lovely persons!

Luckily the new engine turned up with the inlet manifold, stepper motor throttle body, exhaust manifold (inc lambda sensor IIRC) and all sensors and the coilpacks, which I should hopefully be able to either use, or stick on ebay to make a few quid back into the fund.

Just waiting for my mate to get his 106 Gti taxed so I can borrow his other car (106 Xsi) and take the Lupo off the road for a few days while I get it all swapped over.

• 1 month later...

Well, the lupo started misfiring like a goodun and struggling to do over 60mph last night, so it looks like I'm going to have to get the engine swapped sooner rather than later! I think the plugs are getting fouled up with oil and the leads have probably seen better days.

I'm umming and aahing whether to begin stripping it now, or to wait til I've got another car sorted out tonight (just in case I end up completely carless!)

Quite looking to having an engine I don't have to fill with oil as often as I fill it with petrol, that doesn't sound like someone tipped the knife and fork drawer into the tumble dryer :lol:

I tried the airbags on, and there's no chance of them fitting, so I sold the kit. Needed the cash as well if I'm honest!

Edited by cobblers

Well, it's all gone to **** with this thing!

First the airbags didn't fit, so I sold them.

Then the engine started fouling the plugs up so that it would barely run, which prompted me to get my finger out and change the engine.

After collecting a clutch, I got on with it:

My trusty borrowed stead for the week:

IMG_0524.JPG

10:25am:

IMG_0526.JPG

10:41am

IMG_0527.JPG

11:01am

IMG_0528.JPG

2:01pm (After a trip out to buy some spline bits and a fish and chip lunch

:

IMG_0532.JPG

about 20 minutes after this is where it all went wrong :(

Spot the difference:

Old engine:

IMG_0534.JPG

New engine:

IMG_0533.JPG

Bugger - The starter motor on the new block goes on the front of the engine, over the box. Mine goes on the back, over the engine. My gearbox doesn't even nearly fit the new block. This is a disappointing surprise, considering the rest of the engine looks exactly the bloody same, even down to little casting marks here and there.

So, I'm up a creek without a paddle. Can't afford another engine without it going on the credit card and the engine that came out is buggered.

I'm off to give the bloke selling a 150bhp g40 engine a ring, sod it.

Right. I gots another engine - 30k AHW out of an 02 polo. Lets try again!

Best bloody well fit or I'll push the whole car into a river and pretend I never owned it, lol!

Edited by cobblers

good luck with this mate. cant wait to see the frankenstien car in all its glory at the shows :)