converting my Gti to run on diesel

Crusoe

You may laugh but there is a company that developed a piston that would convert any petrol over to a diesel. The piston had micro chambers that some how allows the fuel to ignite under lower compression it would be revalutionary but as i understand no car companies were interested as it did not come from in house design lol

Edited by Unheard

Wouldn't that kill off animals that feed on algae?

Get on your horse and drink your milk.

Love the misquote

Did you think they would suck it out the sea and rivers lol.

Unless there is a tube monster then i dont think any animals will be killed in the making

in fact the waste after processing can be used as feed for animals.

Its coltivated in bioreactor stacks, it sucks in CO2 and othere gases to grow so unlike

fossil fuels it is not releasing carbon into the atmosphere that was stored away millions of years

ago its just recycling what is already out there or suck in gas from exhaust stacks

It will yield a much bigger return from the land displacement than to grow any other crop so its a very viable

way of creating fuel that could be rolled out in a very short time and start having an impact.

high-density-vertical-bioreactor.jpg

algae-biodiesel-bioreactor-thumb-425x274.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoKTbxerpQ...feature=related

Ive probably missed a huge point here, but why are hybrid cars electric and petrol?

Surely a electric and diesel car would be far better?

Diesel is a clean fuel now (or we woulnt have £35 a year road tax for them!) So you would still be running on electric round town, but then out of the town economy will still be good. Not like the prius that does 45MPG average or something.

Have i missed something :huh::rolleyes:

Diesel is a clean fuel now (or we woulnt have £35 a year road tax for them!)

Whats changed though? The road tax is based on CO2, but it's more that just CO2 that comes out the exhaust. Hence why particulate filters are now being fitted to new diesel engines in time for the EuroV requlations.

Our TDi's only meet EuroIII standards, so I'm sure in a few yeast to come we will get taxed like everyone else :rolleyes:

Whats changed though? The road tax is based on CO2, but it's more that just CO2 that comes out the exhaust. Hence why particulate filters are now being fitted to new diesel engines in time for the EuroV requlations.

Our TDi's only meet EuroIII standards, so I'm sure in a few yeast to come we will get taxed like everyone else :rolleyes:

Ah, dont put a downer on my idea Jon :lol:

Ive no idea whats change, i dont build engines, but you dont see too many modern smokey diesels now. Infact, thinking about that ... most smokey diesels seem to be VAG diesels now :lol: Modern French diesels seem very clean indeed.

Although i agree, i can't see it being long before our tax does increase, im amased its as low as it is now, when some are paying £400 plus. I supose once they have tempted a few away from their heavy CO2 cars and into cheaper tax cars, ours will increase.

And anyway, thats not really the issue i was making, for a car to be very efficient electric power round town is great, i for one would like that on my car, but to be combined with a 1.5 petrol engine seems a little odd to me, why not hook it up to a very economical diesel engine :huh:

Well I think the main changes are designing more efficient engines. I imagine fuel is "cleaner" than it used to be too, but it's still diesel fuel. Black smoke tends to be from unburnt fuel, again more efficient engines/better servicing would reduce that.

Diesels tend to be heavier and more expensive than petrols, so I can only guess that a diesel-electric- hybrid would suffer reduced range when on electric (due to extra weight), and be more expensive than it already is. In a few years time one the market for hybrids has grown we may well see them though!

japan and america have the sence for only using diesel for trucks and tractors :D

not for long!!

The US are going to get many new diesel cars ford are loosing billions on big SUV sales no one wants them any more

US already have

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2007 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

2007 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

2007 Volkswagen Touareg

As of 2008 VW have added TDIs to the jetta and jetta sport lineup.

BMW are going to introduce the BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance into the US market this year on 2 cars

GM are committing allot to diesel just incase there plans for stratified charge engines does not work out

KIA have plans to introduce a diesel into the US market and if the CEED ever makes it over there despite being designed for the European market

they would be foolish not to offer it with a diesel the Hyundai/Kia CRDi engines are fantastic better than the petrol range

Hyundai have plans to introduce the santafey with a diesel 2009 or 2010

Mitsubishi plan to introduce a Lancer Diesel into the US 2010 the low emishion diesels they are working on for the

European market may also go onto the US market

Nissan is co-developing a 50-state emissions-compliant diesel engine with Renault.

Volvo has announced its decision to release a diesel passenger car on the North American market by the end of 2010.

Subarue started selling their boxer diesels in the uk back in February Subaru president Ikuo Mori quoted Make no mistake

- diesels are coming to America." I would not be surprised if Toyota start using the engine in their cars as well

as Toyota have a stake in fuji heavy industries subarus parent company.

Porsche is introducing a diesel-powered version of the Cayenne into the US 2009.

Honda CEO: New Hybrid and Clean Diesel Vehicles in US and Canada by 2010.

Audi will start selling the Q7 next year with a 3.0tdi and they want to promote the TDI brand.

Japan will follow the subarue boxer may be the turning point for them.

I've always wondered how much CO2 a cyclist produces per mile compared to a car. Not including the CO2 produced to get fuel into the cyclist, 'cause i believe this isn't taken into consideration for cars fuel.