What can I do?

I joined a gym the other month thinking it was going to be a good gym and would compare well against gyms I've been with in the past (JJB, Fitness first).

Well, It's an OK gym, with OK equipment, but it's just so busy ALL of the time, and there simply isn't enough equipment.

I've tried going at different times of the day, hell I even went at 6am one morning and it was still heaving!

Basically then, I've singed upto a 12 month contract to use the gym and I pay by direct debit.

All I want to know is what can they do to me if I simply cancel my direct debit and do not use the gym ever again?

I presume they will send me a snotty letter saying I havn't paid, but at the end of it all, what are they going to do?

Surely they wouldn't take the case to court?

If your in your first month you should have a 'cooling off' period, check the small print & then contact their customers services to try & resolve the situation.

Im in the same situation mate,

What i was thinking is ''getting a letter from work'' explaining that im being moved to a different city, therefore cannot attended the gym anymore!

hopefully it'll work!

Nice idea! could work I'll consider that myself!

Small print says that any breaches of contact will result in court..

Looks like the only way I terminate my contact is to breach their T&C's! then they will termninate it for me.

You may be able to get out of it due to non-delivery of service on their part, i.e. you're paying for a gym you cant use due to them not providing enough equipment.

Thanks for all the replies, even if they had more machines I think it would still be w@nk there.

I know it's part my fault for signing up to the gym in the first place, and I should've seen through the £22 a month price, which is significantly lower than what I've paid in the past, for example JJB is £33.50.

I'll take a trip to the citizens advice n see what the deal is.

If that fails I'll definatly try the old, 'yeah im emigrating to new zealand, yeah thats right, I leave next week'

have an accident tell them you want to make a claim, :lol: they'll crap themselves offer you a free year and you never go back job done.

This is what confused me about my gym, Cannons. I signed a 12 month contract, yet he said if I wanted to quit I just need to give a months notice for the direct debit.

Maybe this applies to you?

Go to your bank, just ask to cancel the direct debit.

What are they going to do? It's a gym after all. You haven't taken anything from them unlike a phone contract or a sky contract, you don't owe them anything.

I did it to my gym, they sent me a letter saying I canceled and sorry to see me go.

Go to your bank, just ask to cancel the direct debit.

What are they going to do? It's a gym after all. You haven't taken anything from them unlike a phone contract or a sky contract, you don't owe them anything.

I did it to my gym, they sent me a letter saying I canceled and sorry to see me go.

This is different from my other gym memberships in the past, with them I had to give just a months notice if I was leaving, but with this I have signed a 12 month contract with them, they did this probably because they know alot of people would leave very soon after joining when they find out how incredibly **** it is when you go - so they get you tied up for 12months leaving you optionless!.