Mini Cooper S

Adam

I'm just after some opinions/views and general knowledge of MINI Cooper S' (Supercharged ones). I happen to really like them and would even contemplate in buying one as my next car. I know they are very popular and often seen as a hairdressers car, but i drive a Lupo, so they can't be much gayer, surely?

If i had one i would like to modify it and make it my own car, so at least it appears different to the 10 you see everyday. I would also like to try and get around 200bhp from it, which i gather is pretty do-able with a decent remap and some select tuning parts. Does anybody know much about the tuning of them?

I know they handle great as i've driven one on a track, but to me it didn't feel as quick off the mark as my Lupo, although it was a lot easier to put through corners. Is this due to the fact the Lupo GTI tends to deliver most of its power at around 5k revs and the Cooper S has a more gradual delivery? Or is the Lupo really as quick? Or am i talking complete b*llocks?! :lol:

How reliable are they? Especially the ones with 40k+ miles on?

You may think "Why are you asking on a Lupo forum"?

Well i'm after an unbiased opinion and i know there are quite a few petrol heads on here who have a good knowledge of cars.

Thanks for any help

mini's are like clitorises (sp)

every cvnt has one :coffee:

Edited by mitch unit 21

I like them.... Get one

I think they are better than a lupo gti and have a better chassis

I love Lupo GTIs, I love Lupos, but i can always get another GTI if i really really miss it, you only live once so you might aswell try and own a few different cars, thats where my thinking has come from. In a perfect world i would be able to keep the Lupo aswell, but i don't have enough money to have both (sadly).

Edited by Adam

I know they are very popular and often seen as a hairdressers car, but i drive a Lupo, so they can't be much gayer, surely?

Correct

If i had one i would like to modify it and make it my own car, so at least it appears different to the 10 you see everyday.

Is that even possible?

I know they handle great as i've driven one on a track, but to me it didn't feel as quick off the mark as my Lupo, although it was a lot easier to put through corners. Or is the Lupo really as quick?

Round corners Binis are better out of the crate.

The engine the supercharger is bolted to is erm err how do I say it erm err yes that's it.................shiiiiiite. You can't polish a turd. Thirsty too.

Cooper S *IS* quicker, but you have to be doing illegal speeds before the MCS is *noticeably* quicker

I think they are better than a lupo gti and have a better chassis

They are, but they aren't as cool, because they are everywhere

In a word: Foxtons

Edited by twisty b-road

The engine the supercharger is bolted to is erm err how do I say it erm err yes that's it.................shiiiiiite. You can't polish a turd. Thirsty too.

What makes the engine so bad? The reliability?

Cheers for your input though, its given me other things to think about.

Not heard anything about the reliability one way or the other, which leads me to think that that must be fine

It's the power delivery that underwhelmed me

Go try a Cooper, or even worse a One to see what I mean about the engine the 'S' is based on

The first Bini I drove was a Cooper when I had a Lupo 1.4E

It had 15 more bhp than my old loop, but it was so slow. It didn't want to rev at all and I was really disappointed (great round corners though)

I've since driven a one, and it's like flogging a 60 fags a day tramp

It took me another 3 years to eventually drive an 'S' just before a colleague traded his one in. I'd had my GTI a couple of years then, and I was less than impressed with the power deilvery. It gathered revs so slowly (handled well though), but there's no doubt it keeps charging when the Lupo gives up

Less than 25 to the gallon doesn't sound too smart from a 1.6 either

I see what you mean, thats the one thing i had thought about the S when i drove one, the pick up seemed slow compared to my GTI. Cheers again for the info mate, thats why i asked on here first, as i don't think many on the MINI forums would have mentioned much about the engine as many probably haven't compared one to a Lupo GTI.

I see what you mean, thats the one thing i had thought about the S when i drove one, the pick up seemed slow compared to my GTI. Cheers again for the info mate, thats why i asked on here first, as i don't think many on the MINI forums would have mentioned much about the engine as many probably haven't compared one to a Lupo GTI.

The mini has very tall gearing its not the engine its the gears

I thought it was a great little car....

Don't get me wrong, i thought the handling and overall car was excellent, i just thought it was going to be noticeably a lot quicker than the GTI, even though it is quicker. Although I can imagine it being rapid with that Lohen stage 1 tuning kit aswell.

I drove a JCW S with 210 bhp, whilst is was quick it wasn't enough it had much more urgency than the lupo but it didn't feel as quick as i quite expected. I liked it and i'd probably have one if i hadn't have had the Lupo, but for it just wasn't enough of a step up, i don't think i'd have been properly happy with it. It's also worth mentioning that everything was an option and there were 2 phases, the facelift happened in 2004. If i was you i'd get one after that, and i'd be looking for sat nav, leather, xenons and chilli pack as that will help loads when it comes to resale. The ones without that tend to hang around and be high mileage, i know because i nearly bought one about 3 weeks ago and i was properly looking into what you can get for your money. That said i test drove the new one straight after and it's a significant step up in terms of build and engine, it's a much better car but 18k for a second hand new one with xenons imo is crazy money, it's a mini!

Cheers Luke, to be honest i don't really like the look of the new Cooper S' with the 1.6 Turbo, the large reflectors on the bumpers and the oversized centre exit kinda put me off...and the price tag :lol: Plus would i really want that supercharger whine, i think it would put a smile on my face.

That's exactly why i dismissed the new one, i was looking at a JCW, they've got more spirit to them. Xenons come as part of the Chilli Pack (which is classed as a modification so you'll have to declare that to your insurance) and they only look like xenons after the facelift. Air con was also standard with the Chilli Pack but climate is an option. If you get the facelifted modedl after 04 the JCW come with an LSD as standard, but obviously it's all up to you :)

i seen a nice one last weekend, it was red and low... its the first time i have seen one and though 'that is a nice car' and then he passed me with the charger whizzing away and it made me smile.

forget the copper S. the Copper S is such a great car after engin mods. without any mods

1. its not a great engine

2. everyone has them

3. it's not the VW scene lol

plus im sure there r better cars in that price range. wait for the Audi A1 lol

was talking to my mate about minis the other day, hes got a 1d at the moment, but wants to trade up to a cooper S soon. He doesnt think much of the lohen stage 1 though - says have a look at a company called GTT or 1320Autos.

have a talk to people on mini2 forum, im sure they would be helpful, but probably biased! haha