HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE REALLY??

N17DUB

I had this conversation before I got my Gti, as I couldn't see how they could be so different. They are! Quicker, handle and look better and you feel like your sitting in more than your average car. People notice a Gti more than a Sport :shades: Get one bought!

GTI!!

I'm biased of course but it is a gem!! Not only is it a great little car but it's pretty damn rare (only around 1000 in the UK - please someone correct me if I'm wrong on that) so it is unusal to see one out on the road. Even with the common faults that I'm sure you will find on the forums (high level break light espcially!!) I do not regret getting one.

If you can find one - get one

GTI!!

I'm biased of course but it is a gem!! Not only is it a great little car but it's pretty damn rare (only around 1000 in the UK - please someone correct me if I'm wrong on that) so it is unusal to see one out on the road. Even with the common faults that I'm sure you will find on the forums (high level break light espcially!!) I do not regret getting one.

If you can find one - get one

They are rare only seen about 4. However I've never seen another TDi

does any1 have any idea how many lupo/arosa TDIs there are in the UK. i hardly see any!iv seen about 3 GTIs ( all 3 this week!) and 2 tdis, one arosa one lupo. Obovusly i might have seen one before i fell inlove with the lupo/arosas and not noticed, but im quite interested to see how rare these cars actually are if any1 has any idea!

the gti has the higher top end for starters which when you get a clear bit of motorway and you wanna get home quick to ya bed it makes a big difference plus it's a bit special they have a cult following too the amount of people you will hear say i wanted one of them they just a bit pricey is unreal plus the ultimate deciding factor they look the dogs bejubiletts

well they might be rare bt there is s**t loads near me

4 mates have silver ones 1 has a gun metal one (v nice never seen one in this colour before)

and a red 1 with black wheels so thats 6 just in my town plus i see a few others now n then

will try get a pic of them all together :lol:

Is there a difference at all?

My 1.0 seems just as quick, handles as well on nearly stock running gear and my insurance is nearly the same for both?

:huh: Remind me why I paid the extra wonga for the GTi?

If you want a Sport buy one. If you want a GTi don't get a Sport.

Performance aside, they are totally (well not totally) different cars.

My GTi still makes me do this...

smiley_big_1.jpg

Ray

Heres my two pennies worth... i've driven a sport for long enough now I think i'm qualified lol

Sports are normal lupos, with more power - only at the top end though, id say the car sneaks into luke warm hatch territory around 4750rpm. Below that figure, they are like any other small hatch on the road. They are not fast, they are faster than your average supermini, that is all.

They handle like normal lupos, this means too much power in a corner will produce understeer, and too much speed into a corner will produce oversteer.

Now the gti... Slightly lighter due to the aluminium bonnet and doors ,im not convinced this is the reason why they are quicker though as the sports engine block is alloy and the gtis is iron/steel I believe. However the 25bhp extra does make a lot of difference, as does the VVT which means the gti produces a lot more power lower down the rev range. On convoying to meets I often find it hard to keep up with gtis lower down my rev range and so have to keep the sport on the boil to keep up.

From rides in the gti, it seems the gti has better weight distribution (probably the battery in the back and the lighter front panels) and the lower standard suspension seems to resist the oversteer that the sport has.

Now, I have a feeling, but as I am yet to drive a gti i'm unsure, that the sport maybe more fun (controversial) - In the sport, The engine needs to be revved hard to make progress, which means lots of gearchanges, but as I like the gearbox, its actually quite fun. The suspect suspension in the sport has too much roll, but you can find its limit at legal speeds and im quite a fan of the lift off oversteer.

However... The gti looks brilliant - how many other small cars have HID lamps as standard, and gets noticed. The red seatbelts, aluminium pedals, double exhaust, EDL, red brake callipers, rear arch extension, all look great. It looks special - i smile everytime I see one. And they are rare.

Also, revving the engine in the sport gets tiring, the gti is a more complete form of transport due to that low down tractability. And if you put them on the track the gti would be the faster car, and I reckon that the six speed close ratio box means you'll probably end up changing gear all the time anyway!

This is why, if I had the money, id buy a gti no questions asked, but considering they cost at least £2000 more than a sport, I don't think the sport is too much of a poor relation!

Edited to say: Rant over, return to work.

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

I also heard the GTI is driven by girls :P
make-up.jpeg

Edition38 2008 - here I come...

Heres my two pennies worth... i've driven a sport for long enough now I think i'm qualified lol...
Well said that man!Now get back to work! Edited by Silver!

handle like normal lupos? My sport handles great. Far far better then anything lesser spec ive been in.

forgive me if im wrong but I think the only modification to do with handling between a sport and a normal lupo is a slightly thicker anti-roll bar, and meatier tyres (unless you ticked the option box for alloys with a lesser lupo - in which case the alloys and tyres are identical) So personally I think it handles the same as pretty much every other lupo in the range bar the gti.

DIVERSION>>>

I took the Arosa to Glasgow to see Athlete last night at Barrowlands.

That was the first longish drive I have taken it on since I bought the GTI. Even with -45mm springs I was feeling a bit seasick :sick:

May have to upgrade something down below!

I bought a sport a few months ago, you do have to be quite far up the rev's for it to give max power, and they are definately not as quick as the GTI's.

Saying that, compared to some other hatches the sport is fantastic! Some retard in a fiesta zetec-s, was giving it to me the other day, so i floored it in second and he did not like the fact i pulled away from him! haha!

Also a mate of mine has a seat ibiza cupra 180bhp, Ive always lost in races but the little loop always put up a good fight! I think for what you pay the sport is a bargain little hatch!

the gti is far faster than the sport, handles far better, and just feels better to drive. When i was selling my lupo sport i took a viewer out in it and couldnt believe the difference compared to ma new GTi. The difference through the gears is huge.

Hope this helps,

Dave