Casper's Supercharged GTi - MK Indy Hayabusa Turbo - 413bhp/243ftlb

CasperGTI

biggred do a rebild kit for them for about £28 posted.

Its a girling 40 and 45 kit that you want. Part number is BR204516 That includes everything.

Bleed nipples form audi are £2.88 each. Pads are £35.

Il tell you how it goes when i put them on. Probably will work fine, but the pedal may bite a little lower.

John

Ok cool, cheers for the info B)

Plus after a conversation with dubjimbob for about a hour on weds night, its been decided that im going for a double sided belt to drive the charger, running the alternator backwards and using it as a pulley... no need for silly brackets and pulleys now :D

John, what are the consequences of running the alternator backwards, are there any ill effects?

Cheers

Pete

Thought you were going to be the first person to ask me this pete, as you always seem to be asking about belt routing! its a bit difficult isnt it!

Think about it yourself, and you might work it out with some common sence! I didnt think about it to be honest, then talking to jaime, it all made sence, should make it work, just need to find the right length belt as theres not much choices. plus you need to change your aux belt tensioner pulley to a ribbed one.

Think about how an alternator works.... its a spinning magnet inside a coil, it will generate electricty in one direction no matter what way it spins. The brushes in the altertnator are flat, so wont matter which way the comutator spins round on the brush.. Only thing is that the cooling fins will spin in the opposite direction, i cant see that its a major problem, they will still work but will pull air rather than push it.

And also...... It looks like i might have sourced a GP mini supercharger, which has been tweaked...... Watch this space. My 5th gen may be coming up for sale soon.

John

HI, just joined up to the site, as im looking at either a Lupo Gti, or going down the MK3 Golf Gti route, but after reading this im astounded at what you have achieved so far. I think this thread alone has swayed me towards the Lupo Gti route !

Im from modding MINIs with the Eaton chargers, and you do know you can get the chargers flowed and ported ?? If i rem rightly, the company is called www.m7tuning.com , and they do them by exhange. I also ran a 17% pulley on my cooper s, parts from http://www.altaperformance.com/products/li...=16&model=8 and your going to love the sound of that charger, if I could ever upload sound clips from my "S" to prove it I would ;)

Be very careful on the GP Charger. As far as im aware, they are just the same as a JCW Charger, which is a slightly smaller Pulley (14.8% reduction) to a standard cooper s. ALL Cooper S chargers as of around 2004 had specially coated blades internally too

Heres a quick graph relating to max possible RPMs for the charger, as going by the size of pulley you can use....dont over rev the Charger, or it will break, ive seen it on a 21% pulley combo. The top part of info is relating to engine max permissible RPM. The sencond lower one shows the RPM of the charger.

RPMs.jpg

hat off to you!

Edited by Cooper Si

Thought you were going to be the first person to ask me this pete, as you always seem to be asking about belt routing! its a bit difficult isnt it!

You know me so well, belt routing and charger brackets, still yet to see the lower bracket....:rolleyes:

I thought as much with the internals of the alternator though i was unsure whether the cooling fins would have to be reversed or not, shouldn't too bad really. It's not going to be anytime soon before i can get started on my project though it's good to see how people are doing it differently and for what reasons and what not. A ribbed belt is something i was going to look at, specially if i was to go with a reduced pulley.

The tensioner shouldn't be a problem.

Cooper, thats an interesting graph, i guess from that the combo of a 5% oversize crank pulley and a 21% reduced charger pulley made the charger go bang! Nearly 20,000rpm

Yeah if i rem rightly the max permissible rpm is 18k for the M45, especially if you want some life out of the unit. But saying that, chargers are quite freely available due to JCW conversions, just make it quick release lol. I note further back in this thread the Engine RPM is going to be raised to 7.2k ?? maybe thats not so much of a good idea afterall

Si

Edited by Cooper Si

Si, thanks so much for that info on the charger, ive really got to look in to it now.

Do you know how you can tell the difference between the two cooper S chargers? blade colour or feel?

I havent researched in to the charger as much to be honest, but i wish i had now!

So after 2004, the only difference between the works and the standard cooper s charger was the pulley size?

Whats the difference between the works and the GP charger? or are they the same thing?

The one i have sourced is the charger with a reduction pulley on it as standard. Im told that its the GP charger. deos that sound right?

Any more infor on the chargers would be greatly appreciated.

And as for my rev limit.... im going to limit it as per the gearing on the charger. So i may not go that high in the end.

Ive just researched that the GP and JCW chargers are the same.... They have an 11% reduction pulley on them as standard, only difference betweent he JCW and the GP is that the GP has more done to the intercooler and ECU? But you can stick a 15% reduction on them without any problems?

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Ah ha more info:

The slippery surface you are touching on the rotors are teflon/ceramic coated rotors found in the 5th generation Eaton M45 supercharger, the same as the supercharger used in the JCW conversion albeit without the reduction pulley. All 05 model year cars (facelifted) have this new supercharger which supposedly allows better sealance between the rotor surfaces and the body of the supercharger, hence improving HP and torque figures a bit.

So that means i have a 5th gen one already.... Should i bother buying the GP one or should i jsut get a 15% reduction pulley?

John

Glad youve done some research to back up what ive said, dont pay over the odds just because someone says its off a GP. Its a waste of money to do that.

Hard to tell the difference tbh between the units. Just try and get as much info as poss from the car its come from, the newer the MINI Cooper S the better ;)

Glad ive helped in some way for you, heres some pics of a modded charger ive seen done by m7tuning.com...

sc1small.gif

sc2small.gif

sc3small.gif

I ran a 15% on my charger no probs....dont forget all the 5th gen chargers are the same...its just the pulley thats different

Edited by Cooper Si

Ive got a 65mm core intercooler that is 180mm high and 600mm long. Its right on show so has about as much cooling potential as i can get out of it.

Andy yes i do, or atleast i will do now ive worked the differences out now.

John

Cheers mate, will do.

Just been speaking to performance unlimited. My pistons have arrived, they will be with me by the end of the week. The con rods will be with them in 10 days, so with me in two weeks.

Rebuild could start on the 11th of feb, once the balancing has been done! Might have it running for UD... Who knows.

John

Thanks jen, All these comments mean alot!

Possibly one of the most stressful brake fits in the world today, Chipped the hell out of the caliper which has really annoyed me.

But i managed to get them fitted in the end after hours of swearing at them. Snapped the disc alignment bolt in the hub, then snapped an easy out in the hole just to make it even more interesting. So thats something to sort out at a later date now.

All i can say is i hope they bloody work, or im going to be mightily pissed off!

Went from this:

P1020751.jpg

P1020754.jpg

To this:

P1020746.jpg

P1020747.jpg

P1020750.jpg

P1020753.jpg

Edited by CasperGTI