54 plate gti 6 speed problem need HELP!!!

stevo88

I have a lupo GTI 6 speed and the thing is seriously lacking power redlining it does 80 in 3rd. 90 in 4th. 115 in 5th and 6th well it doesnt wanna go any faster than 115 it just doesnt move!!!! i raced a VTR and it kept up on a straight road and a clio 1.6 kept up too mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> there is defo somthing wrong wif it my friend has a 5 speed and he does 85 in 3rd and has claimed to get bout 135 in 5th surely there must be a problem wif mine coz there was another standard gti 6 speed that raced my friend and the 6 speed kept up so why cant my car go over 115??????

I need help

Im gonna buy coilovers soon but dont wanna get them if the cars a heap of sh*t

I think 125 is the max on the GTI in standard form.

Mine starts to slowly creep above 115 onwards I think.........you should not be doing these speeds on the public roads anyway wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by mike_m

so how do u get it upto the 135 type thing???

i wasnt on a public road emm emm emm it was a private 1 shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> i just thought it would be faster than it is wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

The 6 speeders redline in 3rd at around 80mph, but from then on you get around 20mph per gear change (to the redline and back to 5,000rpm), or so ive read on here anyway. Over 100mph and its license bye bye so be careful wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Also with the 6 speeder it isn't the same ratio as a 5 speeder and then an extra gear, they are closer ratio than the 5 speed so your mate will be able to go faster in 3rd than you. He will also be able to hit 60mph in second.

Edited by Adam

dont worry its fine ive already been in court for excessive speeding and dangerous dirving and wreckless driving (all the same offence) got off with it coz my grampas pals with the prosculator fiscal cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> i actually have a strip of road thats all private land and can put the boot down (my uncle owns it) hehe i just expected more oomph from the wee car coz bein honest my old clio sport (a 1.9DTI SI) done the same figures mind u it had a golf gt tdi engine it topped out bout 125 also from a diesel so how can i tune the engine to be as fast as his coz he bet a type R 2 days ago (just tho it was sitting at his rear quarter) of him and he has a manifold BMC CDA and coilovers can this be right wen i can barely pull away from a clio????

quite cheeky arent u?? i thought forums were supposed 2 b friendly and i got 2 minors in my drivin test and wen i was young i was foolish but i only put the foot down on racetracks and private property and thats the truth theres events called (rwyb) Run What You Bring but i can drive trust me wen u c idiots flooring it along the motorway then u see me in my little lupo doin 55 so i can save fuel

oh well looks like i could use a conversion to a 1.8T then tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ive got a renault scenic diesel i use 4 just goin 2 work in so i can keep the lupo good i heard the GTI will be a collectors item in 10 years so i mite just keep it clean

When my Gti (6 speed) was std I think the maximum in gear speeds were approximatelly:

1st = 35-40mph

2nd = 58mph

3rd = 79mph

4th = 98mhp

5th = 123mph

6th = never tried.

These are approximate and I have had the car a while so may be slightly wrong as it has not been std for ages now.

I think 6th is pretty much identical to 5th (5 speeder) and as stated earlier the 6 speed ratios are different to those of the 5 speed so a 5 speed will be faster in each respective gear than a 6 speed.

I think that after 120mph the Gti struggles anyway due to its small cc engine, and lack of big bhp. As a rough guide I have 167bhp and although the car is much faster to 120 than it was std there is still a noticable drop off in accelleration when you pop it in 6th. Again it is still 1600cc.

Somewhere on the forum there are some graphs of maximum mph in each gear I did when my car was on the rolling road (or you can calculate it from maximum rpm x mph/rpm in each gear)

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

i personally believe all gti should keep there own engines. they are a rare car and dont need ripping apart to be made better. a nice handling and engine tune up is always nice though. and the gti deserves that treatment.

Edited by qually

The GTI was designed to be a well performing small car. That it is.

It cant be compared to high performance sports cars etc.

If a faster car is what is wanted, why not get a golf gti etc?? just a suggestion

I think the GTI should be left relativly standard with its original engine.

They are so rare anyway, why change a good car??

Good luck if do you choose to go 1.8T, dont think Im being nasty at all. Really Im not!!!

xxx

well i was thinkin i dont wanna touch a conversion i wanna keep it clean so it can become a collectable in say 10 years time its that athricite colour so its quite rare or so im told wot ca i do to keep it clean and valuable but modify it i was thinkin coilovers but im afraid i need cheap ones (dunno wot ones or wer to get them) and a BMC CDA and a decat exhaust and manifold and im tintin the windows in 3 weeks time biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> if anyone can help with tips and suggestions please do!!!

anything you do must be totally reversible to maintain its rarity, potential collectable value. those who want to invest in a gti in the future will want a standard one with no visible alterations.

as i have said before if i see any car no matter how much of a bargain with tinted windows i wouldnt pay penny. and there are quite a lot of opinioned folks like me with different dislikes.

don't forget 135 on the gti speedo is out by approx 10mph if you use something more accurate like a road angel so im told

About 2 years ago I was followed for about two mile by a marked police car and then pulled over. The police told me I had been doing a constant 70mph but I had stayed at a dead on 60mph on my speedo (as you would when you are fully aware you are being followed by a police car).

I explained I would have been stupid to deliberatelly speed and explained my speedo had stayed dead on 60mph. The police were very fair and let me off with a polite "be careful".

Up until last weekend I always believed my speed was under-reading, maybe due to my 17" wheels and so decided to check it out using a "tomtom", not exactly brilliant but GPS at least. Anyway here is what we found...the speedo matched the GPS indicated speed exactly from the range we measured which was 30mph to 80mph proving my speedo is "bang-on". Again this may change if I put standard wheels back on, in fact it would most likely make the speedo over read which nicely ties up with the claim that all speedo's (on a factory settings car) over read slightly. Full circle then it seems.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have a lupo GTI 6 speed and the thing is seriously lacking power redlining it does 80 in 3rd. 90 in 4th. 115 in 5th and 6th well it doesnt wanna go any faster than 115 it just doesnt move!!!! i raced a VTR and it kept up on a straight road and a clio 1.6 kept up too mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> there is defo somthing wrong wif it my friend has a 5 speed and he does 85 in 3rd and has claimed to get bout 135 in 5th surely there must be a problem wif mine coz there was another standard gti 6 speed that raced my friend and the 6 speed kept up so why cant my car go over 115??????

I need help

Im gonna buy coilovers soon but dont wanna get them if the cars a heap of sh*t

You obvously dont realise the damage you doing to the car and possibly yourself doing those rpm's and speeds!

so how do u get it upto the 135 type thing???

i wasnt on a public road emm emm emm it was a private 1 shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> i just thought it would be faster than it is wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

135 in a standard loop?? i would like to see that on a straight road!

dont worry its fine ive already been in court for excessive speeding and dangerous dirving and wreckless driving (all the same offence) got off with it coz my grampas pals with the prosculator fiscal cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> i actually have a strip of road thats all private land and can put the boot down (my uncle owns it) hehe i just expected more oomph from the wee car coz bein honest my old clio sport (a 1.9DTI SI) done the same figures mind u it had a golf gt tdi engine it topped out bout 125 also from a diesel so how can i tune the engine to be as fast as his coz he bet a type R 2 days ago (just tho it was sitting at his rear quarter) of him and he has a manifold BMC CDA and coilovers can this be right wen i can barely pull away from a clio????

Stick to the slower cars mate you sound like a death trap! desiels have more torque, and cars have different gearbox ratios so just cos its a tdi dont mean its gonna go slow! my old mans 2 litre mercedes will cruise at nearly 160mph, but it accelerates like a pig. there uncomparable!

As for this crap about the type R...... your having a laugh! with the mods you say, still wouldnt be close! the type R is 6.8 to 60, does 146mph straight and has 197 bhp!! the loop, coming in at 125 bhp. gets to 60 in 8 and does 127 top end! even with the mods your still be a good half a second away! keep dreaming son,

quite cheeky arent u?? i thought forums were supposed 2 b friendly and i got 2 minors in my drivin test and wen i was young i was foolish but i only put the foot down on racetracks and private property and thats the truth theres events called (rwyb) Run What You Bring but i can drive trust me wen u c idiots flooring it along the motorway then u see me in my little lupo doin 55 so i can save fuel

who cares what you got in your test? its obvioulst not helped seing as youve got points and have been to court! racetracks and private property. wheres your runway then?? lol

oh well looks like i could use a conversion to a 1.8T then tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ive got a renault scenic diesel i use 4 just goin 2 work in so i can keep the lupo good i heard the GTI will be a collectors item in 10 years so i mite just keep it clean

wont be a collectors if you keep redlining the car, stick to the senic, it would probably be best off in a crash! pluck some more words out of the sky like turbo and cams, it might sound like you knwo what you talking about!

well i was thinkin i dont wanna touch a conversion i wanna keep it clean so it can become a collectable in say 10 years time its that athricite colour so its quite rare or so im told wot ca i do to keep it clean and valuable but modify it i was thinkin coilovers but im afraid i need cheap ones (dunno wot ones or wer to get them) and a BMC CDA and a decat exhaust and manifold and im tintin the windows in 3 weeks time biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> if anyone can help with tips and suggestions please do!!!

those parts arent cheap, try and find a good cheap set of coilies??? your a god if you do! - tinting the windows.... keepiong it standard... keeping it "im not a fool" well youve gone wrong there!

Sorry to be rude but theres some types of pple that annoy you, cos its their stupidity that make our insurance premiums go up! and some crap pple talk need to be set straight!

You obvously dont realise the damage you doing to the car and possibly yourself doing those rpm's and speeds!

These engines like to be revved, The standard limiters are set very conservatively anyway. they will rev to 8500rpm quite happily and are still ultra reliable.

i was going to say that. the rev limiter is there to prevent any damage so i cant see the problem with revving it a bit! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by leddy

it could be possible that you would do more damage going up a long steep hill in 6th gear than bouncing off the limiter in 2nd gear foot to the floor. i dont know if thats true, but i makes sense in my evil mind.

Alright Alright... but your always putting more stress on the engine by revving its tits off even if the limiter is set consevitly.

the more you rag it, the faster you attack things.... all accelerates the phenominon called fatigue. thats my point, i work on aircraft... its exactly the same. the pilots are told to use the engines in a manner that extends their life cycle....

anyone that thinks ragging your engine does nothing to it is pretty silly if you ask me.... i mean im not innocent i love to boot the loop, but i know the concequences can detremental