Bi-Annual MOT

Arun

Yay or Nay?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Link to pistonheads story if you haven't heard on the news

Definitely a bad move if it goes through as far as im concerned.

yes im a mechanic and its going to slightly affect the work i do. but i see enough wrecks come in and i think "this was fine a year ago, now look at it"

hundreds of people drive about in deathtraps and dont even know it until the test comes up and "oh, thats what the noise was when i brake???"

it doesnt matter how good care YOU take of your car, some people dont even know how to top up their washers, let alone maintain their vehicle.

say somebodies brakes fail, they crash into you, their car wasnt structurally sound, they die.

you are now involved, through no fault of your own, in a crash where the other driver died. i wouldnt want to live with that.

as far as the saving money point goes, thats a load of crap.

MOT prices will go up, and every other year when the car fails, the list will be bigger and more expensive. people will end up selling/scrapping cars because its too much hassle to MOT them.

the only people i can see benefiting from this are manufacturers, and thats just one of my paranoid conspiracy theory's.

the above is just my opinion, please put your own below.

Edited by Arun

only reason this has come about is cos of new legilation on tests and now they have to get more mot centres, cheaper to make an mot last 2 year.

but even if its a year or 2 years, an mot is only a test of the vehicles roadworthiness on the day.

reminds me of a workmate who was asking me to look at his car for him, waited till weekend then he told me problem

"its using brake fluid"

"eh? what u on about"

"i have to keep topping it up"

brake pipe had split and was losing loads of fluid, the pillock had driven it for a week like that!

cant see that it has owt to do with manufacturers though, they only way they benefit from mots is parts sales, and a cars not gonna break down more just cos its mot lasts longer

seems a bit stupid to me. why would you want possible un-safe cars on the roads? they should leave it as it is.

Also the argument of "the extra ÂŁ50 a year", Isnt gona happen, cos if they go ahead there supposed to be more than doubling the price, and making it far more strict.

i didnt know they were going to make it more strict, i assumed they would have to though.

still think its not enough.

like houston says- iv seen a bloke come for his MOT, tyres were just above the legal limit, as were the brakes and several other advisories. garenteed, 2000m and the cars a trap, but we had to pass it. he refused any of the work to be done.

one year later he came back with bald tyres and screeching brakes among a list of other faliures. now if he didnt have to test it for another year, would he have kept driving??

thats obviously an extreme example, but there are other people driving round in dangerous/barely safe cars, and these people drive on the same roads we drive. it affects our safety, i really cant believe they are seriously considering this.

I think it is a really bad idea, often people rely on MOTs to check their car over. A few people i know that are not interested in cars just leave things like checking tyre depths and brake conditions, and are only made aware of them when they go in for an MOT.

Is this goverment on stupid pills or something regarding the transport system??? Having a mot every two is just plain silly.. 50 quid is a small price to pay for a test to ensure that everythings spot on with your car. They will be taking after america next where you can run anything which should be in a scrapyard.. Soon be taxing the cyclist next.. ****tards. :@

Oops, totally didnt read the question then! So ignore the only yes!!

If it wasnt for my mot Id be still driving round on a snapped spring, so even though I made me fail, im greatful!

Edited by Gibbeth!

i didnt know they were going to make it more strict, i assumed they would have to though.

They said somet about it on smooth FM last night

i'd support that

make them get some bloody insurance aswell

Ban Horses from public roads... They are a danger to themselves and the Jockeys that ride them.