Sporty 5 Doors Suggestions

Tigz™

:cry:

Looks like the life with the Polo is coming to an end.

Really fancy something quicker, and I just cant justify the amount of cash needed to tune the GTI.

Emma: Its too small

So thats it, getting the rims finished this week, get the centres off for powder coat, get her valeted and remove the audio.

Cant believe I spent so long fitting the manifold.

That may as well come off and be sold. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Decided with the family, something bigger is on the cards.

Been out to test drive a V6 Alfa 156 Sportwagon, and was set to buy one until I got to work and the guy who runs our Alfa fleet informed me of the number of gearbox and cam belt failures on the thirty six 156 we have on fleet.

Still want one, but my head - and the wife - is saying no.

So this has left me in a predicament.

What car is there, for £5000 (ish) thats got 4 doors, looks great, has a nice sporty feel to the interior, has a nice sound, is fast and has a boot large enough for a large sub box, three amps and family crap.

Not to mention, I don't really want to spend anything more on insurance.

The only thing in the list that I am willing to deviate from is the insurance.

Leather would be nice, as would Xenons.

So far on the list :

Low mileage Vetra V6 GSI MSD - Don't like the dash or steering wheel. Love the rest.

MG ZS V6 180hp - Love it all. Just know I would regret it.

Bora V5 170hp - Like the idea of it, good value. Id just have to change too much so thats out.

Skoda Octavia VRs 1.8T 180hp. Cant think of a bad thing about it. (If I ignore -And get Emma to- the insurance.

Checked out a white IS 200 Sport. - Crap.

Alfa 156 V6 Sports wagon. Still want one. Badly. Still might. (somehow the insurance is cheaper for me than the 2.0 version!)

Ibiza Cupra R - Crap yes, three doors yes, but... somehow still want one

Also cheap insurance.

Jag 2.1 Sport X Type - How cheap can these be! Bit of a random one I know lol.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Insurance 16 Max, but would prefer lower (not that I think its possible)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about a bmw e36 m3 saloon? early ones are about this price now and they are more reliable than the later evo ones wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Truthfully, unlike every other car in the list, I can see no reason why not to buy one.

This is the one I want.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/132852.htm

44mpg on a motorway run my ass.

maybe if you drove at 50-60mph all the time and never had to brake or accellerate and you might get 35mpg.

Skoda for me out of that list. Jags not as silly as it sounds I suppose, the Bora couldn't be more boring, and the Alfa is lovely.

Nope, still the Skoda, especially that red one.

That Audi is a nice find by DJ though.

The Octavia vRS is very good, but - having driven it - I found it only gets fun at licence-loosing speeds. The torque does make it a very nice drive at the lower speeds, though. Plus, although it's got a *huge* boot, it's only about 18inches wide in the middle due to the strut braces.

(I'd still buy it off your list...)

Deek.

Woke up this morning wanting the Alfa after the second night of dreaming about it.

Its not going to be easy not buying one.

I meen, lets be fair here.

The Alfa has a problem with gearbox and cambelt failures.

FFS what is the Polo GTI famous for?

One thing that puzzles me though.

Polo GTI £960

Cupra R Ibiza £980

180+ Alfa V6 £1090

Octavia £1457.

These are random quotes from confused.cock.

My insurance company quoted £270 more for the Skoda

Try Barclays insurance mine came down from 3106 from confused.cock lol to 600 and summet with them! worth a try. I have been in one of them octavia vrS' and they are great I loved everything about it, just make sure you de-badge it lol oj.

NOCK

Always the Civic Type R, or an Evo even maybe?

Edited by Tigz

An Evo? As a family car? Have you driven either?!

Nope I haven't, but my mate's dad has got one, it is much bigger than a Lupo, does 25-30 MPG of you drive it nice (but is fast as **** if you don't), and it's boot is reasonable too. Don't see why it couldn't be used as a family car really, depends how many miles you all do together as a family.

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK

They have an extremely harsh ride for everyday driving. And if you had an Evo you'd never drive it conservatively to get decent mpg - we learnt that with the Scooby, it drank the juice like nothing on earth due to the heavy right foot!

Edited by Linz

what about a mk1 leon cupra or tdi?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?...=&nodays=60

see loads there under £5k smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by csi_bha

mk1 Cupra too ugly, interior is nasty.

blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Ugly?!! interior is same as in an audi a3/s3 so guess that rules them out too? blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Ugly?!! interior is same as in an audi a3/s3 so guess that rules them out too? blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

errrr, no it isn't.

errrr, no it isn't.

errr yes it is.

Leon:

FR-Interior.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

a3/s3:

s3-pnel.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Looks more or less the same to me.

Hence why someone I know has just fitted S3 air vents to his Mk1 Leon Cupra R... rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

another S3...

interior.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Another Mk1 leon:

14.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I'd have suggested a stardard Evo 4. Family car made fast, just like Sierra or Escrotom Cosworths were. Safe and reliable, what's the problem? Or a Subaru Legacy, Mitsubishi Galant blah blah blah. Volvo S/V 70?

Jaguar is a nice idea though, different.