Apple iPhone/Leopard (OS 10.5)

Joe

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let it go Al. No need to justify yourself.

Now, where'd you get the socks?

got em at good ol' Tango Kilo Maxx...

got 3 pairs...

Another pair use the same colours, but bands rather than stripes, then the other pair use band coloured brown, beige, and pink !!! :)

funky socks rule...

However Cartoon character socks suck...

lol I dont have anything against Mac's, I just love how Mac owners are so defencive.

Its the same when anyone asks me how big my engine is.

Rather than saying its a 125cc and leave it at that, I find myself explaining how fast it is.

This thread just reminds me of that :lol:

Is windows firewall on by default out of the box? Can't say I remember it being on when I had my XP machine years back. Might be wrong though.

I don't know why firewall is set to off in Leopard when it wasn't in Tiger, theres probably a good reason (something to do with migration assistant perhaps?), either that or they forgot.

lol I dont have anything against Mac's, I just love how Mac owners are so defencive.

This harks back to the bad old days. My parents bought macs back when buying a mac was a slightly odd thing to do, in the early/mid 90's they were churning out expensive, often faulty, garbage. At the time the only thing keeping the company going was the DTP market who would only buy powerful Powermac towers and the windows machines in that area had yet to catch up. I think anyone at the time would have gotten used to being on the defensive, attempting to justify why they were buying from a company that everyone expected to go bust. I'm mentioned before, CEO of Dell wrote off he company in an interview around 1996 saying he'd break it up and hand whatever was left back to the shareholders. If you compare Apple and Dell today I think I know where I'd rather have my money.

Today is a somewhat different story, when I was at uni the first time 7 years ago I was the only person with a mac laptop in the library, now at Worcester's library they are everywhere (mostly by girls but thats a different matter :)). But the mac zealot attitude is harder to change, to a certain extent we will always be 'fighting' for the cause, even if things are rosey. I think any product, especially one that is a piece of consumer electronics, that instills such a sense of loyalty is quite a rare and impressive thing IMHO.

And you think we are keen, we are mere part timers compared with some of our fellow users over the pond, I can't go on some mac forums for the politics!

My uncle in the States has only ever used Macs. I remember him sending a picture years ago of him using is new one that looked like a Vectrex. The one he uses for day to day stuff is 10 years old now and still going strong.

My uncle in the States has only ever used Macs. I remember him sending a picture years ago of him using is new one that looked like a Vectrex. The one he uses for day to day stuff is 10 years old now and still going strong.

The mac that my parents bought in 1995, a 6200 Performa with a 500mb drive and 8meg of RAM still worked fine running OS 8.5 a couple of years ago. Had to chuck it out for space as Sarah wouldn't let me lug it to France or store it somewhere.

Have tried to install Leopard on my old 'Blue and White' G3, the install DVD boots but refuses to run, so its stuck at Tiger for the rest of its days I think. My iMac (a Graphite iMac DV, circa 199) is still healthy, Tiger is somewhat slower to boot than I remember, even with a clean install, but once its on it can do internet and other usual duties perfectly well. I'm convincing him to upgrade now (as with my Ed discount he can get a better deal than anywhere) but the truth is that iMac still has many more years left in it.

I will never throw out my Blue and White G3 nor my just replaced Powerbook G4, I'm just too attached to them. The Dell is going next year though, straight to the computer recycling place!

Slight revision to the MacBooks today, speed and graphics bumps it looks like.

MacBook Pro has received a very minor update in the form of an option on built to order machines to have a 2.6Ghz chip instead of the normal 2.4Ghz. Luckily for me thats the only change so i'm still current! If they'd have made the top 15" model a 2.6 I doubt I've been bothered, more than happy with what I have!

Edit, darn, slightly (ever so slightly) annoying thing is that they have finally introduced a faster (7200rpm) big drive option, I would have gone for the 250gb. Can't have everything though. :)

i got leopard today and i love it!

everything looks alot fresher and cleaner!

it also spell checks nearly everything so as im writing this its picking out all my bad bits of grammer! :P

new photobooth features are fun! :D

Got another 500gb drive in the post today to use as a Time Machine drive, works really well, just slightly disappointed that it does hourly back ups, to be honest all I want is one a day.

BTW, I can fully recommend these Iomega Minimax hard drives, now have two of these stacked up on top of each other, very neat, lots of ports, neat design.

Its a very basic backup, and I suppose the rational is that hard drive space is so cheap that most people will just buy a nice big new drive for the single purpose. I have one 500 drive for video and one for Time Machine.

Less than 48 hours to go. I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm actually rather excited.

Are you going on Friday Joe, or not bothering?

Apt timing today, my 100% reliable Dell desktop finally appears to have died this evening, so I might pick up an iMac on Friday too. I'll cop hell for it when I get it home though, I'd told her I'd wait until next year. Thought about just buying a Mac Mini to tide us over but for the price it doesn't seem that great a machine. Think I'll play it safe and wait, October was bloody expensive!

I shall be in the Sutton Coldfield o2 store at 6.02pm :P

Can't get into Brum in time as I can't get out of work till 5. By then the queues will be massive, whereas in Sutton I don't many people will be there :)

iMac sounds good to me, have them at work, and they are stunning machines.

I shall be in the Sutton Coldfield o2 store at 6.02pm :P

Can't get into Brum in time as I can't get out of work till 5. By then the queues will be massive, whereas in Sutton I don't many people will be there :)

iMac sounds good to me, have them at work, and they are stunning machines.

Nice idea, I like it. Never been to Sutton Coldfield, and theres plenty of O2 stores over here. Can't see there being iPhone queues in the Merry Hill Center which has 2 CPW stores and one O2.

Will go along to Brum and see what the state of play is and decided from there.

Im not following the hype, Im getting one because I actually think its a good device. Beats that nokia ***** anyway

before you give in to the hype watch who else is buying them and then see how everyone else will see you... lol

The only one concerned with the hype is you, I just want one because I've had a string of Apple products that while perhaps aren't the best value for money (I use that term reluctantly, spending £1500 on a laptop that lasts you 7 years is bloody good value for money imho), or the best spec (again, not strictly true today when the MBP is the fastest laptop to run Vista on), but they just work and work well and carry on doing it when the competition is long forgotten.

Old duffers by Suzuki's, does that concern you? Toss pots by BMW's, is that a problem? Smug people by VW's and proudly claim that they would never touch a French or Japanese car, do I let those fools bother me? No.

And you don't see me picking on you because you have some mega expensive headphones, you made a choice and I think thats great. It seems with Apple's recent success now if you choose Apple stuff you are somehow 'a sheep'. How ironic.

Im not picking on anyone here or anything but why would apple bring somthing out thats already behind in terms of specs?

2MP camera...HA! And that doesnt even do video

No 3G....No e-mails on the go for me.

O2 only? Get lost

I agree i think it looks great...but have you ever tried texting on a touchscreen? I give you and everyone a month before ebay if flooded with them. :)