Apple iPhone/Leopard (OS 10.5)

Joe

No it exists. Bill Jobs had one at the Keynote and made some calls on it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Apple wouldn't ever show something unless it was ready to be launched within a month or so.

It'll still only be a prototype model...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No more prototype than every other Apple product released at the Keynotes. This thing has been in development for at least a year. There have been patents coming out of them frequently all relating to the touchscreen technology etc. As I said, Apple don't preview stuff unless it's ready to go. Every product shown at a Keynote has been released either a few weeks or a month or so after it's first show. It's why many people dislike Apple because there is no word of anything new so they buy a new iPod, then a month later they drop a bombshell with a new iPod that does tonnes of other stuff and costs the same.

Indeed, Apples dislike of showing prototypes (other than early build versions of the OS) is well documented.

The delay is due to the approval systems, in order to ship the device right now they'd have had to submit the device way before the keynote, and info would have leaked. Apple don't do leaks. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

On a side note, notice there wasn't much mentioned about Leopard. I think it'll pop up all of a sudden end of Feb/Mar time just as the frenzy to get the apple TV has worn off.

You have to admit, Apples business brain is superb!

The entire video of the conference will be online shortly

just spotted a link to

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote

on the apple quicktime page. Its comment is Introducing iPhone. Should be up soon if they are advertising it

Its being advertised on

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

aswell now, so it'll be up in a matter of minutes I reckon

Edit

Its online now at

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

Edited by Joe

On a side note, notice there wasn't much mentioned about Leopard. I think it'll pop up all of a sudden end of Feb/Mar time just as the frenzy to get the apple TV has worn off.

In the past they've had random events to roll out the OS, so I'm not surprised there was no word at this Macworld. They've said Spring this year, and I've no reason to doubt that it won't be then, 10.4 was the same time of year wasn't it.

One thing that really impresses me is that can you imagine the BBC news having an item on Apple products 10 years ago? Its really great to see how far they've come. It makes me laugh that some people still regard the company as a slightly irrelevent entity, when the iTunes music store is the 4th biggest music retailer in the USA, 4th, including brick and mortar stores!

Viva la Apple Inc. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Some better pics...

_igp0908.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

_igp0894.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

_igp0914.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

_igp0883.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

One slightly disappointing thing, early reports say that despite running OSX, you can't user install apps onto it. Seems odd, and that will surely change in the future.

doesn't do it for me, it's huge whihc puts it straight out of the running for me (half that size and i might consider it) by the time the scratch proof covers goes on it will be even bigger.

Depends what your after really. Its pretty small for a 'smartphone'. I agree its large, but I'd rather had that and a nice big screen for video etc

I have just viewed this on the Apple page and this phone is amazing, it is everything you could ever want from a phone. The fact that it runs OSX is a breakthrough by itself and there are so many other things with it, i cant really list them all. I will be looking into buying one once they become available over here with certain operators.

Sorry, the need for an all-in-one is lost on me.

Spent 10 hours listening to mp3s and browsing the net only for that deal winning call to come through? *****, me battery's dead!

and only $599? Translate as £599. It's always like that.

Shame you can't install you're own stuff sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> As is usually the case though I'm sure someone will hack it wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> It's like the original iPod that 'only worked with the Mac'. In reality you could get MacDrive which would allow Windows based machines to view Mac Formatted drives. Worked a treat biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

wonder what its real name will be seeing as they are being sued by cisco who own the trademark to the "iphone".

It will be iPhone, this sort of thing happens all the time. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Its been known for years that Cisco own this trademark, and Apple have been in talks with them for ages.

To me it sounds like Cisco trying to make a fast buck. They know Apple are backed into a corner and are doubting they'd be prepared to enter into a high profile legal case about it so think they'll get a heathy compensation sum. Apple however are not an easy customer because they don't have a lot of money spare so it wouldn't surprise me if they've met their match to some degree which will not be what they want as if it did end up in court, it's unlikely Cisco would win as there are a number of existing VOIP phones that also use the iPhone tag. The court wouldn't look too favourably therefore on this case considering Apples phone doesn't even compete directly with Cisco. Hence they'd be asking why they're targeting Apple and not the other direct competitors.

Have a look here for the article on it by the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6250511.stm

Apple however are not an easy customer because they don't have a lot of money spare

Well, thats not strictly true, Apple are sitting on some of the biggest cash reserves in the industry, but I take your point, Apple are a difficult customer because they are tight as hell with their money and only like to spend it very wisely. Not such a bad thing, but certainly makes them prickly.

In the US don't you have to prove you've protected your trademark? I seem to remember the law tends to go with the area in which the trademark is used, ie, Apple's iPhone is a mobile phone and Cisco's iPhone is essentially an additional network device, I seem to remember Apple has lost cases against companies using trademarks in completely different areas, ie, an iSight by a company that makes telescopes. I may be wrong though, its not an area I can say I've paid any attention too.

The truth is Apple would never launch a product if they didn't think they had a very high chance of securing the name.

The truth is Apple would never launch a product if they didn't think they had a very high chance of securing the name.

Apple can and do make mistakes... or just assume cos they are big enough they'll use it anyway...

Apple can and do make mistakes... or just assume cos they are big enough they'll use it anyway...

Oh yes indeed they have, more mistakes than Microsoft. Your probably right on the second bit too!

Legal mistakes are pretty rare from Apple, a few misguided zealous lawsuits here and there, but this is a pretty major screw up that I'm presuming they are covered for, its just not being reported.

They could have just called it the Apple "icandomorethanyourphonecanphone" blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...